No Roger No Floyd!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, from Black Books. In whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty.

Re: No Roger No Floyd!!

Post by moom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:35 am

To be frank, I consider the On An Island tour Floyd redux.

EarlsFloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by EarlsFloyd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 pm

flashback wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 pm
hey I'm calm.Was pointing out PF was not Roger or Syd or any 1 member.It was a collection of all it's members.They all brought something to the table in some form,be it lyrics or music.PF was greater than the sum of it's parts.
lol, ok i know i made mistakes in the message

Hadrian
Knife
Knife

Post by Hadrian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 pm

moom wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:35 am
On An Island tour
That one was for me his best solo tour so far (I count on another studio album and another small tour by Gilmour in the future, very likely his last).

At the beginning of the tour On an Island album made up the entire first set (Pink Floyd stuff was the second set, plus the encore), and the whole album was originally played in order. That was a wonderful way to experience his entire new album first, and then dive into Pink Floyd era. Beyond hearing the whole new album live, the other gem of that tour was the live rendition of "Echoes", which was always closing the second set. Gilmour and Wright did a spectacular job there, the released live version is the best sounding one ever (if only one could remove the audience, it would be even better). They tried "Echoes" in 1987, but Gilmour was not happy with the result (although Guy Pratt's Level 42-like slapping bass on it makes the version unique, it can be heard on bootlegs).

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

I don't see it as "No Floyd" but as a diminished version of it. I consider "The Wall" to be the last proper Pink Floyd album. While "The Final Cut" has its moments, it's basically a Roger Waters solo album with a backing band that happens to contain David and Nick. It's debatable what Rick would have added to the mix at that stage even if he hadn't been ejected from the band.

Hadrian
Knife
Knife

Post by Hadrian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm

I have a theory that things might have turned out differently had Waters decided to switch things around somewhat after The Wall, and do The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking as a Pink Floyd album in 1983 - and follow that with The Final Cut as his solo album in 1984.

We know very well that The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking had been around since 1978, that Waters presented the project to the band concurrently with The Wall (and the band selected the latter for the next record at that time). Making it happen in 1983 was doable.

But more importantly, unlike The Final Cut which is both highly political and very Waters-personal, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is thematically very Pink Floyd. Gilmour (and Mason) would not have objected to the material itself, which means far less tensions in the studio and in general. Perhaps even the stage show might have happened if the recording turned out to be a smooth sailing. Who knows what might have happened afterwards, but there was definitely a chance of a longer three man Floyd there.

theaussiefloydian
Blade
Blade

Post by theaussiefloydian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

The idea that Floyd wasn't Floyd without Waters strikes me as sheer nonsense. If somebody leveled that accusation at Pink Floyd in 1987 I would see the merit in the argument, given that AMLoR was, shall we say, not very Floydian (but there are reasons for that, and I will maintain that it is exactly what it is - a David Gilmour record reworked to be a Floyd album at the studio's behest.)
But the thing is what I love about Pink Floyd isn't just Waters' lyrics - they are simply part of the whole. Wish You Were Here is my favourite Pink Floyd record, because to me that captures Pink Floyd at perfect equilibrium, a beautiful balance between Water's lyricism and general leadership (before he became something of a dictator in The Wall and The Final Cut) and the outstanding musicmanship of Gilmour, Wright and Mason. Together as a unit they were all Pink Floyd - no one person was Pink Floyd. When Waters left, sure they lost a part of them. But to quote R.E.M. when Bill Berry quit, "a dog with three legs is still a dog, we just have to learn how to run differently." It took Gilmour, Wright and Mason to find their feet, but The Division Bell is, whilst not as outstanding as Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon, still a hell of a good record, and was my favourite Floyd through most of my high school years. They were still definitely Pink Floyd, just a little different. And you know what, bands change and evolve. If that weren't the case Radiohead for example would have been a forgotten grunge band, and Pink Floyd would have been a curiosity of the psychedelic era.

cheapfilm
Axe
Axe

Post by cheapfilm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 am

Pink Floyd is Nick's band in March!!!!!!!

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 am

cheapfilm wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 am
Pink Floyd is Nick's band in March!!!!!!!
Nick has been carrying the flag every since he started touring the early stuff in May 2018. However, he has made it clear that the Saucers are not Pink Floyd ... :)