Early PF song?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Early PF song?

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Is this a PF song, found it at AFG, one guy says(with I thank him) it's a PF song is it?

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/msaf
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

I know they had a song called John Latham, recorded May 1968 at the same sessions as In The Beechwoods. Rogepost is down for maintenance though and I can't download it. :evil:
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Never heard this one before, but it's either legitimate or a very good impersonation of our boys. Sounds very like Vegetable Man in some parts. A lot of other Piper-like sounds in there as well.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

How did you download it? It's still saying they're having 2 hours maintenance (it's been longer than 2 hours since I first tried it).

EDIT: A little over 2 hours after I made this post and they're still having their 2 hour maintenance. Can someone who managed to get it upload it somewhere else.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

wait I will put it on sendspace.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

To my ears, I would say this is the genuin deal... but ITS VEGETABLE MAN! Its a very early run through the chords of vegetable man, obviously incomplete, and I cannot guess what the talking is all about.

Sound quality isa bit wierd, who is talking, and who put it into simulated stereo?
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

my breakfast. wrote:To my ears, I would say this is the genuin deal... but ITS VEGETABLE MAN! Its a very early run through the chords of vegetable man, obviously incomplete, and I cannot guess what the talking is all about.
I've not been able to listen, but from your description it seems like the "Vegetable Man" rehearsal, which surfaced a few years ago along with "In the Beechwoods." It's from a student's taped interview with Nick Mason (that's him talking), during which Nick played some tracks. So:

Vegetable Man (instrumental rehearsal, 9 October 1967--with Nick Mason's comments, March 1969)

(edit: not from student radio program)
Last edited by lovescene4 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

my breakfast. wrote:To my ears...
How did you download it? I'm still getting the message about 2 hours maintenance. It's a long 2 hours!
lovescene4 wrote:The tape came from a college radio show
I don't think it was a radio show. The account I read was that they visited him at his home (or a studio) and made the recording there, and the audio quality seems to back that up somewhat.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Salmonberry Compendia wrote: I don't think it was a radio show. The account I read was that they visited him at his home (or a studio) and made the recording there, and the audio quality seems to back that up somewhat.
Yes, I think you're right--I'll amend my previous post... According to notes for the 'Have You Got It Yet?' collection:

"While in high school, [the taper] interviewed Nick Mason in early 1969 (probably March as Nick was on his way to the first of the 'More' sessions at the time) for the student newspaper. In the course of that interview, Nick played him a few selections from a private reel. They were captured by the student's tape deck and preserved for us in this way."
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

yes lovescene4, Salmonberry, this is the third track on the Beechwood tape. Seems to me it's torrented here... not sure...
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Yeah I managed to download it off that stupid rogepost site after days of trying. I already have it, lol.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Mooner wrote:yes lovescene4, Salmonberry, this is the third track on the Beechwood tape. Seems to me it's torrented here... not sure...
Thanks, Mooner--we're fortunate have that. I was listening to "Beechwoods" only yesterday... :D
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

Holy shit, that's cool!

No one else could play as viciously out of tune as Syd. I agree it's an embryonic (no pun intended) version of Vegetable Man.
Vegetableman1967
Axe
Axe

Re: Early PF song?

Post by Vegetableman1967 »

Where I can download this song?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Early PF song?

Post by twcc »

Vegetableman1967 wrote:Where I can download this song?
Wow, you've resurrected an 11-year-old thread

:-;