Celebrity Floyd fans

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ESLAFTK2112

Celebrity Floyd fans

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

I know Paul McCartney, Alice Cooper, Pete Townshend, Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl, Marilyn Manson, Brian May and Billy Corgan are fans. I also know Tom Petty likes Floyd. In one interview he was asked how he felt about Pink Floyd after they kept his Damn the Torpedoes album from #1 in the US saying "I love Pink Floyd but I hated them that year for keeping me from #1". Other noted fans are Don Henley (as he has worked with Roger) and Glenn Frey and the rest of The Eagles. Surprisingly Exorcist star Linda Blair is also a Floyd fan cos after they played Have a Cigar on Boston station WBCN in October of 1993 where she guest DJ'ed with Mark Parenteau she replied "Pink Floyd are one of the greatest bands ever in history and one of my Top 10 all time favorite bands". Any other fans I left out let me know.
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Never knew about Brian may, thats an eye-opener.
Jose Mourinho is a fan. Think he said so in an interview. :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Noel Gallagher digs The Wall ("I may even do a "Nobody home" cover someday")
Radiohead have said "Pink Floyd have a big influence upon us". Isn't it obvious...
Roxy Music (as David has performed live at Live aid with Ferry and still collaborats with Manzanera)
David Crosby (a collaborator)
Kate Bush (since David is the one who discovered her, I guess...)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Someone took a pic of Robin Williams (actor) on a Gilmour gig in New York I think this year.
So I guess that counts as him being a Floyd fan too.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Mr Tuck wrote: Jose Mourinho is a fan. Think he said so in an interview. :D
Thats disappointing to hear. I'd have hoped he'd been into C&W then i'd have had even more reason to dislike him. :lol:

Using the term celebrity loosely, Loyd Grossman, TV presenter and chef, is also a fan and went up several notches in my appreciation when I heard that.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i think i saw pictures of Jeff "Dude" Bridges in a Floyd shirt
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Naomi Watts
I found this quote in a free newspaper a while back:
"Naomi has Pink Floyd's "Money" as her cellphone ringtone. There's a good reason for this. Her father, Peter, was the sound engineer for Pink Floyd. He died when she was seven."
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

If you watch one of the videos on R30 the interviewer asks the band what other kind of music they enjoy listening to. Geddy replies "we really like the new Pink Floyd album, it is great". I will have to go back and watch it to get an exact quote, ill get back to you on this.

EDIT: Ive gone back to hear it. It is in the Toronto 1980 Interview. It is obvious that they are mentioning the wall.

Here is how it goes:

Interviewer: "what do you listen to at home?

Geddy mentions a two or three bands.

Neil: "The Police"

Geddy: "Pink Floyd, definately"

Neil: "The new Pink Floyd album!"

Geddy: "theres all kinds of exciting music out there"
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Damn!t wrote:Someone took a pic of Robin Williams (actor) on a Gilmour gig in New York I think this year.
So I guess that counts as him being a Floyd fan too.
No, he was just a passer-by. Like, Robin (wakes up):"Oh, wha... where am I?... Huh... All these lasers... God, am I in the future? Who's that guy with a guitar-like thing, near a kind-of microphone thingy? Huh... I'd better get out of here... oh my..." :lol:
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

J Ed wrote:Naomi Watts
I found this quote in a free newspaper a while back:
"Naomi has Pink Floyd's "Money" as her cellphone ringtone. There's a good reason for this. Her father, Peter, was the sound engineer for Pink Floyd. He died when she was seven."
There's a nice b/w photo in Nick's book of the Floyd family on a beach...there's also a little girl among other kids: Naomi Watts.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The Flaming Lips
Tom Morello and Layne Stayley (that singer from Alice In Chains) did an interresting cover of Brick pt2 for "Class '99" movie
John Lydon/Johnny Rotten is probably a fan too, surprising it may seem. Yeah, he used to wear that famous t-shirt, but now he says "it was a joke. How can you hate Pink floyd? It's like hating furry bunnies." Well, PF certainly aren't furry bunnies (these bunnies don't make albums like Dark Side..., Animals and most definitely The Wall), but mr Lydon was never a fan of punk only. He has interest towards a lot of prog bands too, like Van Der Graaf Generator, Can etc. And after Sex Pistols he founded a band, whose style was far fom punk and more of a ethno music or something - Public Image Limited (Public Image should know better ;) )
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Mr Tuck wrote:Never knew about Brian may, thats an eye-opener.
In the November, 2001 issue of Mojo Brian May stated he saw PF at the Albert Hall in the old days and numerous times since. Also had become friends with DG as well.
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:
Mr Tuck wrote:Never knew about Brian may, thats an eye-opener.
In the November, 2001 issue of Mojo Brian May stated he saw PF at the Albert Hall in the old days and numerous times since. Also had become friends with DG as well.
A connection. A friend of mine is good friends with Mr may. :D
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I'm a Floyd fan and somewhat of a celebrity :P
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Howwwwww? 8)