Celebrity Floyd fans

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Celebrity Floyd fans

Post by Flying pig437 »

Elton John. He picked Shine on as one of his desert island discs.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I don't see anyone mentioning Pearl Jam. They often segue their song "Daughter" into ABITW II when they play it live, and they used to play WYWH live during the 90s.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Ah yes, they also used to play some lousy version of Interstellar Overdrive at their concerts.

http://youtu.be/FduOMPUPUA4
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

Did anyone mention Bowie?

V.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

bigV wrote:Did anyone mention Bowie?

V.
AKA Arnold Corns.

Now, Homer Simpson. Hah, he fans any old rock fart :lol:
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Johnny Rotten :)

Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

I read somewhere recently that Marc Bolan was a big admirer of Syd Barrett, and was significantly influenced by his music.

More recently, after the recent David Gilmour shows at RAH, there was a backstage tweet of DG and Benedict Cumberbatch (who had just sung on Comfortably Numb) with Richard E Grant, he of Withnail fame. He referenced DG as a Legend in his tweet, so appears to be a big fan.

Whilst I was at the show on the 29th, spent several moments looking at the guy next to me, because I thought he strongly resembled Tim Brooke-Taylor (of the Goodies). I didn't want to ask.

Interesting the point on Pete Townshend being a fan. For someone whom some critics have labelled a narcissist, he seems completely reverential about Pink Floyd. A short couple of passages from his autobiography:

"We drove to the Coliseum and were given seats so far back in the huge venue that it was impossible to see the musicians’ faces on stage. During the interval we went backstage and I introduced Theresa (Russell) to Roger Waters. It pleased me to see him make the same bemused assessment he had made when he met me and Karen at the first UFO Club Pink Floyd gig back in 1967. How the fuck does he do it? The show was extraordinary. David Gilmour’s rendition of ‘Comfortably Numb’ will remain with me for my entire life. Roger Waters was spine-chilling, as usual, a towering and formidable presence."

"Two months later I was still thinking of John and missing him when The Who performed with Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney at Hyde Park for Live 8. The Who’s set was incendiary, far better than Live Aid, and I enjoyed seeing Bob Geldof smiling happily on the side of the stage.
The press made much of the competition between The Who and Pink Floyd, but the atmosphere backstage was friendly. It was good to see the towering Roger Waters working with David Gilmour again, and it was the last time I got to see Rick Wright, who had purchased my big Bösendorfer piano from me when I closed my studio years before. We all wondered if Floyd would reunite and tour. Their show was perfect, I thought, but Roger and David never quite reconciled. It was remarkable that they joined together this one last time, and I felt privileged to be in their midst."

Seems Theresa Russell is a fan as well, then, for what that's worth....
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Neil wrote:I read somewhere recently that Marc Bolan was a big admirer of Syd Barrett, and was significantly influenced by his music.

More recently, after the recent David Gilmour shows at RAH, there was a backstage tweet of DG and Benedict Cumberbatch (who had just sung on Comfortably Numb) with Richard E Grant, he of Withnail fame. He referenced DG as a Legend in his tweet, so appears to be a big fan.

Whilst I was at the show on the 29th, spent several moments looking at the guy next to me, because I thought he strongly resembled Tim Brooke-Taylor (of the Goodies). I didn't want to ask.

Interesting the point on Pete Townshend being a fan. For someone whom some critics have labelled a narcissist, he seems completely reverential about Pink Floyd. A short couple of passages from his autobiography:

"We drove to the Coliseum and were given seats so far back in the huge venue that it was impossible to see the musicians’ faces on stage. During the interval we went backstage and I introduced Theresa (Russell) to Roger Waters. It pleased me to see him make the same bemused assessment he had made when he met me and Karen at the first UFO Club Pink Floyd gig back in 1967. How the fuck does he do it? The show was extraordinary. David Gilmour’s rendition of ‘Comfortably Numb’ will remain with me for my entire life. Roger Waters was spine-chilling, as usual, a towering and formidable presence."

"Two months later I was still thinking of John and missing him when The Who performed with Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney at Hyde Park for Live 8. The Who’s set was incendiary, far better than Live Aid, and I enjoyed seeing Bob Geldof smiling happily on the side of the stage.
The press made much of the competition between The Who and Pink Floyd, but the atmosphere backstage was friendly. It was good to see the towering Roger Waters working with David Gilmour again, and it was the last time I got to see Rick Wright, who had purchased my big Bösendorfer piano from me when I closed my studio years before. We all wondered if Floyd would reunite and tour. Their show was perfect, I thought, but Roger and David never quite reconciled. It was remarkable that they joined together this one last time, and I felt privileged to be in their midst."

Re your first sentence. I would suggest comparing pics of Bolan circa early '70s and Syd in his pomp in the late '60s. You will see it goes way beyond 'Being influenced'. Bolan was actually trying to become Syd.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

Bigmanpigman wrote:
Neil wrote:I read somewhere recently that Marc Bolan was a big admirer of Syd Barrett, and was significantly influenced by his music.

Re your first sentence. I would suggest comparing pics of Bolan circa early '70s and Syd in his pomp in the late '60s. You will see it goes way beyond 'Being influenced'. Bolan was actually trying to become Syd.
Well, I've seen a few Bolan interviews, and he references many influences, but in terms of look, and especially in that period, yes, he's practically a mirror image. I felt Bolan was equally influenced by Bowie - the two of them were friends after all - but then again, Bowie was also influenced by Barrett for a period. Perhaps Bolan and Bowie were moving along parallel lines. I'd say Bolan carved out his own niche though, rather than just remaining a Barrett clone.

But I digress....

Ive also seen the odd picture in the press of the likes of Harry Styles and Zayn Malik wearing Pink Floyd t-shirts, which suggests theyre fans. But then, that also makes me wonder: if they like Pink Floyd, do they like their own music? Appreciating two different genres of music is of course entirely normal, but, for me I find the likes of One Direction et al entirely unlistenable, and of course, I'd assume they sing songs that some songwriter has foisted upon them, rather than written their own... so, do they even like their own stuff?

Another digression.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I remember reading in the press that the 'Take That' boys were at one of the 1994 Earls Court gigs.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

well a year later (1995) Take That played at Earls Court & they did a cover of Brick P2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7HLRDmJjs
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

jtull wrote:Johnny Rotten :)

Not sure whether you were inferring it but he is actually dispite the attension getting T-shirt back in the day and he's said as much a few times. You listen to early Public Image Ltd and I think the influence of both Krautrock and early Floyd is obvious, repetitive atmospheric pieces of music akin to say Careful With That Axe Eugene or Interstellar Overdrive.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Does this count ?, Graham Coxon was at the Syd Barrett celebration last night -

Which One Is Which
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Which One Is Which »

Flying pig437 wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:Perhaps this lady...

who is it?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... uppet.html

Seth Macfarlane's Family Guy had an episode were Jesus was working in a record shop with the DSOTM poster on the wall.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

That Hate T-shirt... I know it's supposed to be Johnny, but I think that looks more like Paul Cook, The Pistols' drummer.