Worst Floyd songs

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Worst Floyd songs

Post by David Smith »

Ok, this is a topic to express my opinion on the worst floyd songs.

Here are the top 10 worst:

1) The New Machine- i reckon i've said enough about this.

2) Corporal Clegg- did anyone actually like that song?

3) Take thy stephecsope and walk- this was worse than bike.

4) Paranoid eyes- this barely had a tune to it.

5) Don't levae me now- this was nausiating. So bloody boring.

6) Bike- this was almost as bad as Take thy stepescope and walk.

7) If- this was sickeningly bad.

8) Alan's psychadelic brekfast- before you defend it, can anyone even remember how this song goes?

9) Take it back- glam rock song that should never have been written.

10) Bring the boys back home- what the bloody hell was that? It's a mess that should have been cut from the album and replaced with when the tiger's broke free.

so what do you all think are the worst songs?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

1. A New Machine Part I
2. A New Machine Part II (Shorter than the first one, right? Therefore slightly better)
3. The Dogs of War
4. Seamus
5. One Slip
6. Take It Back
7. A Great Day For Freedom
8. Sysyphus (All Parts)
9. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party (All Parts)
10. The Narrow Way (All Parts)

Everything on Ummagumma (Studio Side) sucks, I think.
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TINDSOTMR,MOFIAD

What about the trial? (n/t)

Post by TINDSOTMR,MOFIAD »

(n/t)
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

bad/good songs

Post by Stiggs »

There are very few songs I don't like. You just have to accept songs for what they are.
The New Machine is iffy...kinda okay I guess. Corporal Clegg just plain sucks. A Saucerful Of Secrets I think is the worst of the Pink Floyd albums. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk...Roger Waters wrote this? Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast wasn't great, not was it bad. I think it was the guys in Pink Floyd just goofing around.
Paranoid Eyes should be heard within the context of The Final Cut. It is very meaningful, the message it tried to convey needed the most minimalistic of music.
Bike I think is just funny. This is Syd at his "best"...by best I mean trying to make a song that is just fun to listen to...it's crazy, I love it.
Don't Leave Me Now is a very emotional song that again should be heard within the context of The Wall. Don't Leave Me Now takes place when the groupie finally fled from Pink's hotel room. Another woman walks out of his life, just like his estranged wife, and the song takes on a dark, gloomy tune until when it turns into a crazed feeling when Pink is reminded of his mother (when david is singing ooooo babe).
If is a very mild tune. Not great, not bad, just good. This is Roger Waters still trying to get his stuff together.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

In no particular order:

Bike
Take up thy stethoscope
corp clegg
seamus
vera
bring the boys back home
dogs of war
paranoid eyes
Alan's Psych breakfast
absolutely curtains
summer68
Axe
Axe

Re: Worst Floyd songs

Post by summer68 »

David Smith wrote: 2. Corporal Clegg- did anyone actually like that song?

8. Alan's psychadelic brekfast- before you defend it, can anyone even remember how this song goes?
yes and yes
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i listened to both paranoid eyes and Don't leave me now in their correct context (don't be so patronising, i know what both are about) but you can't justify a crap song by saying it's just there for emotion. It should have a good tune atleast and unlike the trial there's unlimited ways the songs could have been done.

Oh, and i know Alans psy.... was just a joke, but it lasted about 14 minutes and it was pretty terrible, especially as the album had 2 of the best pre dark side songs (A.H.S and Summer 68 by the way) so the rest of the album so to make a third of the CD crap is just a let down from them.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Those songs are not crap. They are crap because they're not good enough for your precious standards. You obviously haven't listened to them the way they're supposed to be listened to.
Paranoid Eyes takes place when the soldier is reflecting on war: this is a quiet, mellow song because the soldier is sitting by himself (in a bar presumably, I can tell by the background noises) and thinking about the promises of glory in war but is really scared of war.
"You believed in their stories of fame, fortune and glory.
Now you're lost in a haze of alcohol soft middle age
The pie in the sky turned out to be miles too high.
And you hide, hide, hide,
Behind brown and mild eyes."
He keeps his mouth shut and hides his feelings away...but his eyes are what tells the true emotions.
Way to go dave for completely missing the point behind some of Pink Floyd's music.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

i only really hate a couple of songs

A new Machine, (1 & 2)
On the Run

usually i play them, but those two (3) are the ones i skip the most.

the other ones you guys mentioned i dont mind, some of them i like.

personally, i like 'The Narrow Way'... its the only thing on UmmaGumma (Studio) that i play.

Ummaguma (LIVE) rocks - that version of careful with that axe eugene is kickarse :)

ive swayed so many people into liking Pink Floyd (and convinving them to listen to more stuff) by just playing that song to them

unfortunatelty, i dropped my CD player once, and the CD fell out and broke :(

i'll have to get a replacement somehow, but i dont like the ide of buying the bloody box set again.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

This is to the guy who said i missed the point in Paranoid eyes.

Ok, i understand Paranoid eyes, i'm not an embisilie. And although it shows his emotions and feelings that doesn't make it great. "You're missing the point" you said, well i'm maybe missing the point in doing a bad song and basing it on the characters feelings.

Do you listen to The Smiths or Jimi Hendrix? They did songs that were full of anguish and regret, but they didn't force themselves in to a template in doing so. I know atmospheres good, but don't sacrafice the tune for it.

If a song's bad despite having a meaning then it's not really worth doing, that's giving the public something they don't want but because it's emotional people like you are just going to say how good it is. Braveheart was an emotional film, but it sure as hell wasn't good. Say i'm missing the point, but if it was a good emotional song then that would be so much better.

"Oh, Braveheart isn't a song" i hear you say, so lets compare Paranoid Eyes to Something In The Way by Nirvana. Both songs are dire because despite having meaning to them they are all water with no glass (ultimatly, not very good.) You have to have a nice ring to the song while you paint a little picture, or it's just a waste of time that's not going to be listened to. The rest of the album was on my opinion pretty damn good, 2 suns in the desert in particular showed what Floyd could do with atmosphere and music. Paranoid eyes ont he other hand was sparse, dull and flat (not in meaning, but in tune.)

So in conclusion, you listen away to your songs that aren't very good because of a lack in tune and the way they drag on and on. While you listen to these songs and pretend to yourself they're good because of their meaning i'll be listening to good songs that have both the glass and the water in them. So you may say i've missed the point in that song, well congradulations, you've missed the point in music as a whole, it's to be enjoyable, and paranoid eyes is certainly not, it's boring, dull and an obvious album filler.

P.S Are you also the same person who enjoys Titanic? Thought so.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oh, by the way stiggs, my standards are not overly high. It seemes to me that you're the sort that can't admit your favourite band have done bad songs. Well think about this, that makes you niave, ignorant and Roger Water's bitch. That song is bad, and no it doesn't reach my standards, and in saying that the song Vera Lyn does.

You know, hardhouse music is ok if you listen to it in the right way. It's all very emotional stuff. :lol:
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Most of the stuff is pretty good in its context.

I don't like "Great Gig in the Sky".

The whole of "Obscured by Clouds" is not near the top of my list of good PF stuff.

I favor Roger's work over David's, by and large.

TFC is a very strange cup of tea, but I happen to like it all. Fletcher's Mermorial is almost too time piece and political, but again, that is Roger.

I have a hard time faulting anything 79 to 83 (Great Gig is the exception)
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Worst Song

Post by dgsyd1 »

My vote for worst song would probably go to 'A Spanish Piece', a track I heard one person describe as sounding like "Manuel from Fawlty Towers on a bad acid trip".
46&2
Embryo
Embryo

Button Your Lip

Post by 46&2 »

& don't let the shield slip...

Post by Guest »

For some odd reason i have grown to not like 'money'....ive tended to always skip it when i revisit DSOTM. It sounds cheesy even though i do see it's place in the album and the general concept.

I disagree with most of the choices above altho' i agree that by and large a few of them are one i rarely play anyway...

I disagree 'furiously' with the inclusion of 'Bike'...It's a lovely piece of Barrat's work and maybe not the 'deepest' of lyrics but it has that playful simplicity i would equate with most of Syd's good work.The actual tune is great...again, it has that functional role of being forced to fit those whacked out words but it still stands on its own as such a unique melody with hooks that stand out SO MUCH from anything else around at that time....it's typical Syd early and on form.

If i had to pick some of the weak tunes i'd go with all of 'The Final Cut' because it sounds like the left-overs from 'The Wall' . 'The Wall' was long enough a piece for Rog to get his message across...we didn't need the trimmings as well.

'Dogs of War' is a popular joke round here for being so utterly crap...not sure why though as there is probably a lot worse on MLOR. Don't get me wrong though as i do think there are 3 or 4 cuts from MLOR that are outstanding...

'The Division Bell'...can't say i have played it since release...the singles were 'ok' but the rest was just filler material.

& finally, bits from 'Obscured...' i know there is some dodginess in it but i cant single them its been so underplayed round here.

Peace...

M