The Final cut Tour

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Final cut Tour

Post by drafsack »

When Pink Floyd released “the final cut” in 1983 they hinted that they would tour the album later that year. Unfortunately nothing came of this and then Roger left which would have put a stop to this tour. Recently, a friend of mine who works for a printing company, found a box full of tour programmes for the final cut tour when they were clearing out an old storage area and knowing I like PF gave me a copy.

The programme looks like the original Wall programme, with the albums lyrics over the stills from the album. There are also stills from 'The Final Cut' video E.P. together with some extra ones, which I recon are from films that were to be shown during the concert. There are also pictures of fields of poppies from Roger Waters' Pro’s and Cons tour.
What is most interesting is the rehearsal photos. These show the band playing on a stage surrounded by barbed wire fences, poppies and sandbags. In the background of some photo’s you make out inflatable models of battleships, missiles and a film can and Mark Fisher and Jonathan Park are credited with the show design.

The set list in the middle of the programme shows the first half of the show was to be The Final Cut in its entirety and the second half was to consist of
Another Brick pt 2, Mother, Hey you, Wish You Were Here, Have a Cigar, Time, Us and Them, Money, One of these days, Set the controls, Careful with that axe Eugene and Astronomy Domine'

The musicians listed as playing were Roger, David and Nick with Andy Bown and Bob Ezrin on keyboards, Snowy White on guitar Andy Newark on drums and Mel Collins on sax. On backing vocals there were Doris Troy,
Leslie Duncan, Liza Strike and Barry St. John with Clare Torry listed as 'Special guest vocalist'.

The tour dates were also quite extensive. It started with 5 nights at Earls Court between the 5th and 9th of November, followed by 5 nights at Birmingham NEC from the 12th, 5 nights at the SECC in Glasgow from the 20th and then 5 nights at the Edinburgh Playhouse from the 27th of November. After a break for Christmas the tour kicks off again on January 4th with 5 nights at the Manchester Apollo, 2 more nights at Birmingham on the 13th and 14th of January and 5 nights in St. Austell Coliseum from the 20th. The tour finished with another 5 nights at Earls Court from the 30th of January.

With Roger's increasing dominance within the group during the recording, I expect David and Nick refused to tour him and as a result they had no option but to cancel the tour despite the advanced stage of preparation. A sad loss to the fans but at least now we know what we missed.

ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: The Final cut Tour

Post by ddebil »

Happy April 1st !!! :lol:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Three cheers for the annual tradition!

We should forward this text to Vernon so he can put it in the upcoming Final Cut book.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Ah, it is here...I mistakenly resurrected the original thread in the Pink Floyd section witout checking here first. Whoops!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

ddebil wrote:Happy April 1st !!! :lol:
Sorry to break it to ya, but I had already heard this story and all, so it's true ;)

Well, okay, maybe the inclusion of Axe, Controls and Domine IS a joke, but some parts are def true, about the stage design.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:some parts are def true, about the stage design.
You probably read about it here; none of the stuff in this thread is true at all
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:
moom wrote:some parts are def true, about the stage design.
You probably read about it here; none of the stuff in this thread is true at all
Yes, here. Then, was that time an April Fool's as well...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yes, this tour was never planned at all, and this thread is the forum's oldest tradition :D