1984 - About Face vs Pros & Cons

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

1984 - About Face vs Pros & Cons

Post by J Ed »

hey you guys are all racing ahead to argue about MLoR instead of talking about 1984
from this point on, we will usually be able to pit 2 competing (half)Floyd projects against each other
cuz by some zany coincidence whenever Rogers about to release something Dave all of a sudden has to too, or vice versa
so, here we have Roger completing a concept album without the Floyd, and Dave making a solo album thats a lot more polished and ambitious than his first humble effort

which one do you like better and why?

... or if you really prefer Zee: Identity dont be afraid to say
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: 1984 - About Face vs Pros & Cons

Post by Damn!t »

Problem with both of them is that in pros and cons theres too much Waters in and on About face theres too much Gilmour.
Gilmour was desperatly trying to make a hit album with songs that could stand alone. He tried to move out of the Floyd shadow and make bleedin hits in the middle of the 80ies. But, it's not all bad as it seems. There are some really nice tunes on there (lyrics are mostly crap). For my taste, far better then whole of the On an Island.
Pros and cons... hmm... I like couple of tracks on it, but I allways wonder how would that album sound if rest of the boys said in '78 that they want to do this rather then the wall. Far better for sure. Claptons guitar sounded very hollow during the album and thats probably one of the things I dont like the most. That raw guitar sound prevailed throughout most of Rogers solo things he did afterwards.

Together we stand, divided we fail.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I'd vote for About Face, although neither album is one I put on that much, if ever. At least Gilmour's has some decent tunes on it. I saw both of them on these respective tours. The best part of Waters' show was the second half, after he'd played Pros and Cons in its entirety and got into the Pink Floyd stuff. Gilmour's show was much more balanced and enjoyable, and he only played two or three Floyd songs, filling most of the show with solo stuff from AF and his first album. Hearing the AF songs alongside songs like Mihalis, There's No Way Out of Here and Short and Sweet was quite enjoyable and worked well.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

I probably listen to Pros and Cons more, but it's a close thing. They're both great albums in their own way, but Right from the start of their solo careers it was apparent how much they needed each other, musically. Pros and Cons lacks the elaborate musical soundscapes that made Floyd so special, while About Face, although quite good musically, could do to be dragged out of the middle of the road by some of the batshit crazy lyrical concepts that made Floyd so special. And so it would go for the rest of their careers.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

pro's and Cons gets my vote - its closer to the true Roger whereas About face isn't close to the true David. The P&C live show was again better than the AF show - it was closer to a Floyd show than the AF shows. The AF shows were david saying look at me I don't need the whistles and bells and I don't need the Floyd shows to be successful - but guess what he soon resorted back to them when he realised that he was nothing without the Floyd
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I tend to listen to P&C more because I think it's a better album to blaze up to. :smt033
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Pros & Cons :)