1966 - what happened to these compositions?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

1966 - what happened to these compositions?

Post by moom »

As found in the Internet (I think I should not name the source as it might lead people to another PF-related site, who are friends but also competitors).

"A 1966 set list had been recorded for posterity (the set list, not the show) and lists the bands performance as

Pink Theme; Let’s Roll Another One; Gimme a Break; Piggy Back; Stoned Alone; I Can Tell; The Gnome; Interstellar Overdrive; Lucy Leave; Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk; Flapdoodle Dealing; Snowing; Matilda Mother; Pow R. Toc H.; Astronomy Domine
At the end of 1966 the band became the house band of the London Underground and played many gigs at the roundhouse and the UFO, gigs that consisted of, among other things, 45-minute renditions of Interstellar Overdrive. "

So, what happened to Pink Theme, Gimme A Break, Piggy Back, I Can Tell, Flapdoodle Dealing, and Snowing? Are those covers or early versions, or outtakes? Also, beside IO, were the other tracks different from the final products? Thank you.
sonsofthedesert
Embryo
Embryo

Re: 1966 - what happened to these compositions?

Post by sonsofthedesert »

Most likely most are psychedelic improvised pieces. i think Peter Jenner has gone on record as saying the early Floyd were playing RnB covers and instrumentals when he first saw them.

Any thing short of a live recording is just guess work i would say?
Flapadoodle dealing sounds very Syd!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I guess you have a point there, Son :D Welcome!
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

I'd love there to be a recording of a 1966 gig (or a 1967 one for that matter, to add to the paltry 2 that we have), but I've never so much as even heard a rumour of anything being hoarded*, but we can hope that something appears one day. After all, there's been some great videos from 1968-72** appear within the last 5 years that nobody knew existed, so it's not impossible for something to suddenly appear.

* Oh wait, there was one. A few years ago there was a rumour that someone had a tape of a late'67 European gig (a different one to the 2 we have) but he'd signed a contract with the PF management at the time saying he wouldn't copy it for anyone and he didn't want to break his promise. Then people pointed out the management company he signed the contract to no longer exists, so he wouldn't be breaking the contract.

**My favourite "appearance" is probably St.Tropez as I seem to remember it appearing one April 1st leading people to leave a comment in the torrent saying it was a hoax. :lol: