Best Floyd bootlegs?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Best Floyd bootlegs?

Post by my breakfast. »

Look out for Southampton and Plumpton 1969. I personally hate the Concertgebouw and Amougies recording (I know its Zappa but his playing adds nothing to Interstellar).

The BBC recordings are ok if a little rigid.

Check out Boeblingen 1972 for a killer version of Careful With that Axe Eugene. Its good sound quality and kills musically.

Check out the KQED and San Tropez videos as well. Dig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xE5f8OF3I0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGepLq77Oc
maxwas
Embryo
Embryo

Post by maxwas »

Hi,

You gotta check out Embryo San Diego from 1971. It is widely known as one of the best roio's from that period, the band are totally on fire and give blistering performances of Careful with that Axe Eugene and Fat Old Sun among others, sound quality is not too bad either.

http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/embr ... 71.cd.html

:D
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

It's been a long time since I listened to any of the old live shows, but if memory serves me, I used to love the show from Hollywood Bowl in '72 (I think). The version I had was called 'The Coming of the Comet Kohoutek.' It had an early version of DSOTM, which was ok, BUT, it had the best versions of Set the Controls & Saucerful that I've heard.
And, of course, Oakland 77 for it's version of Pigs 3 kinds, Floyd at their absolute best live.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

TheLazenby wrote:* "One Side Of The Moon" - Someone at EMI leaked a tape of DSOTM side 2 with the faders on full; the songs have loads of elements that weren't used. 'Us and Them' is damn near unrecognizable for a few moments, and 'Brain Damage' has quite a few surprises in store. You also get to hear the irritating sound collage that was apparently meant to end 'Eclipse'!
I just listened to that one courtesy of my friend Google. An interesting listen, and I also found the first 5 tracks interesting too. Despite being credited as being recorded at Abbey Road, tracks 3 and 4 are clearly from the same source as tracks 1,2 & 5, credited as Rainbow Theatre 1972, but does anyone know what date or what the title of the boot is where I can find the complete version. I have a recording of a Rainbow Theatre gig of DSOTM but while mine is the usual not great quality you'd expect from a 1972 audience source these 5 tracks are amazing quality and in great stereo too, and I wanna hear the full version but don't know what to look for. EDIT: I found it. It's called "In Rainbow Light" & it's 20th Feb 72.
mv45
Axe
Axe

Post by mv45 »

There's a couple of great shows out there - if you like early 70's, I'd give the latest Montreux set a try (think the people at Harvested call it Too Late For Mind Expanding).
Just out of curiosity - who is actually buying that constant stream of 'old style new pressed' boots, that have brownish sleeves and bright inserts printed in mono-color? They all claim to be limited to 100 or so, but I guess when you start counting on eBay, that must be 100 per seller, hehe.

Rgds,
Mark

PS - always interested in truely old recording with inserts
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

san diego 17th Oct 71. killer show performance and musically shut your eyes and its like your there :D
voxish
Axe
Axe

Post by voxish »

danielcaux wrote:<snip>Just remember to NOT buy bootlegs, yo can get those audio recordings on the internet for free without giving money to unscrupulous copyright infringers.
[rant] I wish all bands were like the Grateful Dead (YMMV on their music but that's not the point I'm making) who actively encouraged audience recordings. I have literally WEEKS of GD music on my iPod, mostly through subscribing to the deadpod there are literally hundreds of versions of Dark Star out there.
[/rant]

Anyway I digress. I much prefer the sound of vinyl and although the recording quality of LP b**tlegs is variable, you actually have something physical in your hand. Call me old fashioned if you like LOL, a half decent record deck knocks spots off even expensive CD players and ropy online recordings.

I have a copy of Tour73 (side 1: Fat Old Sun, Embryo side 2: Echoes) written 'Echeoes' on the disc! The sound quality is very good and it's definitely an interesting version of those tracks.

Hi - no links till 10+ posts idz da rulz - Draf
Stella Overdrive
Embryo
Embryo

Bootlegs

Post by Stella Overdrive »

What are 'the must have' Floyd Bootlegs?

Hi Merged your Bootlegs post with this post - Draf.
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Re: Bootlegs

Post by czgibson »

Check out this thread.

My favourites are the BBC Archives (especially 1970 and 1971), Fillmore West 1970, LA Sports Arena 1975 and Oakland 1977.

There's also one called Careful With Those Tracks that has some of the orignal recordings that made up the live half of Ummagumma, including the 'Interstellar Overdrive' that didn't make the cut.

These videos are great too:

Live In Saint Tropez 1970
KQED ("An Hour With Pink Floyd") 1970
The Wall - Earls Court 1980 < That's just the first part, but the whole thing should still be there.
Andreysonj
Axe
Axe

Post by Andreysonj »

My favorites:

Stranger than Fiction
Echoes Of Atom Heart Mother
1970 - 1971 BBC Arquives
1972-12-09 Zurich, Switzerland
1974-11-16 Empire Pool (Time in London)
1975-04-26 CRUEL BUT FAIR
1975-06-28 Steel Breeze
1977-06-27 The Perfect Day
1977-07-06 Azimuth Coordinator, Part 2 - Live at Olympic Stadium, Montreal
1980-02-07 Azimuth Coordinator Part 3
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

1974-11-16 Empire Pool (Time in London)
The Concertgebouw performance
Meddled isnt half bad either.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

oz1701 wrote:The Concertgebouw performance
Meddled isnt half bad either.
I think the sound quality is amazing on the Concertgebouw gig but the music is pretty sloppy. Dave's singing on The Narrow Way makes the ears bleed!

Meddled is BBC material which at times was amazing and at other times a bit wooden.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

well no bootleg is perfect.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Live in Udine 1994
Live in Lyon 1994
Embryonic Madness
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

My favorite ever bootleg is the one from the Live in Rome - Palaeur, June 20, 1971 show. You can check it's tracklist here:

http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?concert_ ... eg_id=4281

The performance is simply amazing. Atom Heart Mother is really nice in this band version, Echoes has the old lyrics and sounds really beautiful, i like how different the funky part sounds. CWTAE is really spacey, a great performance even if i prefer the 72/73 versions of it. It has ADomine, surprisingly, and sound really good despite being nothing special IMO. Fat Old Sun sound beautiful, especially in the way Dave sings. Embryo is FULL with energy, my favorite performamce of this tune! Rick and Dave are INSANE in this show. Cymbaline has a really nice pre-footsteps section, even if i prefer the one from Montraux-71. I really like this giant ASOS version too. Overall this is a spine chilling experience.

What i want to give emphasys here is the tracklist, just look at this:

Atom Heart Mother
Careful With That Axe, Eugene
Fat Old Sun
Embryo
Echoes
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Cymbaline
A Saucerful Of Secrets
Astronomy Domine

The instrumental performance of this tunes is amazing. I really love how atmospheric this music can get, and how many moving moments are here. This is why i consider this my favorite bootleg.