Best Floyd bootlegs?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
metalandi
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Best Floyd bootlegs?

Post by metalandi »

Turin 1994 (also called "A passage of time") is amazing (SBD recording). I like it even more than the official pulse release cause it features a whole concert and is not as polished.
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

DSOTM from 1972 in Zurich is perfect! There's a great version of "The Great Gig In The Sky" - this version sounds almost like on the album, but without Clare's voice - so you can sing to it if you wish \:D/ Or maybe just try to sing :roll:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

if thats the show Im thinking of it also includes a rare Childhoods End
(In a Neutral Land, Hallenstadion, Zurich Dec 9th 1972)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Heavy fog in Bristol - the first floyd show I ever saw <ii>
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

My list is based on sound quality first, performance second. I'm not listing the bootleg names for the most part because anything you find in stores is probably obsolete or ripped off of Yeeshkul.

The complete BBC Sessions (1967-71, 74)
The Syd era stuff is a mess. I can't recommend anything specifically.
1969 - Concertgebouw (9/17)
1970 - Montreaux (11/21)
1971 - Montreaux (9/18)
1972 - Boblingen (11/15)
1973 - Boston (3/11)
1974 - London (11/16 - in addition to the BBC version, there is also an excellent audience tape)
1975 - LA (4/26), Boston (6/18)
1977 - Oakland (5/9), Montreal (7/6)
Nothing after that is worth the effort
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

movement wrote: I'm not listing the bootleg names for the most part because anything you find in stores is probably obsolete or ripped off of Yeeshkul.
You buy bootlegs????
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It might not be unusual, depending on where he's from. Growing up in a country behind the wall of UN sanctions, I myself bought a lot of bootlegs back in the day when basically all CDs you could afford were ripped. Back in 1994 or so, only rich people here could afford "original CDs", as we called them back then, and I still have a lot of those ripped albums in my CD collection, including Pink Floyd's "The Wall" that came as two separate discs, and as I found CD 1 pretty easily, I had to travel a radius of 100 kilometers to find CD 2, while the fastest internet in the country was 56K, and theoretically it would take the whole day to download it, while it was virtually impossible because the link would break every couple of minutes. When they complain about things, people always keep forgetting that there are less fortunate just a couple of thousands of miles from them, and that in 21st century there are people who are still living in the 80s, technologically speaking.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Now, can someone sort this mess out? I hit the "quote" instead of "edit" button, and the board won't allow me to delete the sufficient post.
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

I'm fairly new to PF bootlegs, but of the one's I've listened to so far, I really enjoyed the 1970 and 1971 BBC John Peel sessions. As far as audio quality is concerned, those are both excellent. Oakland 1977, and L.A. 1975 are great too, I'm not sure what the specific names of those bootlegs are. The Wembley 1974 show was also a great listen.

You can find most of these bootlegs on youtube.
Ruby900
Axe
Axe

Post by Ruby900 »

So where do you find decent bootlegs then???
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Ruby, these days there's a lot of sites, where people be happy to trade with you. For the sake of policy I shall leave them unnamed (some certain companies may be watching us... really). Or you can download them via torrent, though both can take pretty long.
And of course, you can take our words for what we think are the best bootlegs, but in the end it's up to you to decide what you like and wish for :) .

Now, on topic. My personal choices are "No Room Upon The Hill" and "Watching The World Upon The Wall". Though "Who was trained not to spit in the fan" is probably the dearest, both because it's got the spitting accident and Pat Albertson (a very old-time member of the forum) had sent it to me :)