Why do so many Floyd fans hate on either Roger or Dave?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Poeandmo
Embryo
Embryo

Why do so many Floyd fans hate on either Roger or Dave?

Post by Poeandmo »

Why do so many Floyd fans insist on perpetuating the Roger/Dave rift? While I personally feel that neither musician played better than when they were together in Floyd (and I need to admit that I am in awe of Roger's genius) I am neither team Roger or team Dave...I am team Floyd. While I feel that Roger carried Floyd the entire time he was part of the band, I also believe Dave contributed such stunning guitar work and beautiful vocals that he is more than entitled to continue on with Floyd after Roger's departure. Anyway, Roger and Dave have ended the feud...we should also.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Re: Why do so many Floyd fans hate on either Roger or Dave?

Post by Enish »

That's easier said than done. Go onto a Pink Floyd-related video on YouTube and there will probably be at least one comment made by some kid about who really is Pink (in response to the question asked in "Have a Cigar"). They're just trying to flaunt the name of their favorite member in an effort to make their voice heard as a member of the PF-loving populace. Gilmour's my favorite, but I don't go parading around that he's the best like those kids do. I respect all the Floyd members equally, even if some of them did some things that I'm not fond of during their career. I even live with a Waters fan, but we get along peacefully.

Some fans are like that, but others aren't. I'm glad there are people like you to separate level-headed fans from the obnoxious ones.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I used to be like this myself!
It's hilarious how I went from "Woah! Pink Floyd!" to becoming a rabid Waters-ite. (Because Roger-ite would have caused unfortunate misconceptions)
Maybe it's a weird phase you go through? I've no idea how I got out of this destructive mindset.
Maybe it's because I never was into sport so I never had the "MY TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR TEAM!!" nonsense?
But yeah, I realise now it's pointless. There is no Pink Floyd. Maybe as a legal entity, but musically they don't exist now.
Parts of them are still alive, and I don't give up hope for a "Waters/Gilmour" album. But that's more of a fantasy than Rick admitting he'd love for Syd to one day say "I'm ready to join the band again".
Brothers, sisters, resist the Roger and Dave schism and unite against the common enemy!

"The Judean People's Front?"

No, Lady Gaga! (seriously, I can count three songs that aren't bad. But then this opinion might change if I pay more attention to Madonna's back catalogue)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:...I don't give up hope for a "Waters/Gilmour" album...
Same here. In fact, that's more likely than a full-fledged Pink Floyd reunion tour...well, whatever's left of the band, anyway.

I still think that Pink Floyd exists as a legendary icon of the 20th century. Not all the members are alive, but people are still listening to their music, putting on tribute shows, and celebrating their love for the band any way they can. A lot of people around my age where I live like Pink Floyd, which says to me that, even 40 years after they've released their music, they've still found a way to connect to my generation somehow. I think the existence of Pink Floyd today goes beyond the legal matters of albums and merchandising.
jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

I think the magic happens when there is friction in a band. When Dave and Rog collaberated, often there were amazing albums filled with unearthly magical music that has withstood the tests of time, as well as trends. However when they tried to go at it alone, we get some very mediocre results. Reference the dogs of war and amused to death....

That being said, I think the DG album from 1978 sounds much more like Floyd than anything RW has done since leaving Floyd. After all RW was just the freakin Bass player. :shock: To me, DG is the voice of PF as well as the irreplaceable guitarist for PF.

While I certainly don't hate on either member, I do think it was very unfortunate for RW to believe that PF could not go on without him. I think a preteen with a broken hand could play most of Rog's bass parts. :roll: and after the final cut, I personally wouldn't want to hear another rehashing of Wall leftovers.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I think when someone first gets in to pink floyd there is the strong temptation to become a rabid waters fan, largely because said fans probably notice a strong trend that waters has the majority of writing credits on what most news fans appear to regard as the best works (dark side through to the wall). As such, when seeing that the band continued after that, as fronted by gilmour, i think it is all too easy to assume gilmour fucked up the band and that waters was the genius all along. I was definitely guilty of that kind of fandom when i first started (indeed, my first post here was a bit of a gilmour ripping session in a thread that has thankfully long since been deleted)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I tend to avoid that sort of "tearing apart" of other members because flame wars on the Internet can be pretty ugly beasts. Writing credits have no influence on whether or not I like a piece of music. With the exception of The Final Cut, because that's more like a Roger Waters solo album to me, it doesn't matter who writes what as long as it sounds good.
Chapter_24
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chapter_24 »

jschexna wrote: To me, DG is the voice of PF as well as the irreplaceable guitarist for PF.
This is where I am with DG,

But I think I underrated RW until I saw the man up close during a concert.
Ruby900
Axe
Axe

Post by Ruby900 »

Largely because RW is everything that DG isn't - a thoroughly unpleasant man whom I am amazed worked with him for as long as they did!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Roger and David were two very different creative forces within the band, it's not wonder they have their very own fans and haters.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Ruby900 wrote:Largely because RW is everything that DG isn't - a thoroughly unpleasant man whom I am amazed worked with him for as long as they did!
1) Have you met him to be able to confirm this.
2) Roger Waters haters seem to forget that without him and his determination to be successful, Pink Floyd would have ceased to exist post Syd Barrett.
Ruby900
Axe
Axe

Post by Ruby900 »

Stephen wrote:
Ruby900 wrote:Largely because RW is everything that DG isn't - a thoroughly unpleasant man whom I am amazed worked with him for as long as they did!
1) Have you met him to be able to confirm this.
2) Roger Waters haters seem to forget that without him and his determination to be successful, Pink Floyd would have ceased to exist post Syd Barrett.
I can see your point..........