Pink Floyd Reunion Hopes in Nick Mason Interview BBC 6 Music

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Would you go and watch a Pink Floyd reunion concert?

Yes
68%
No
23%
Don't know
9%

Total votes: 22

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd Reunion Hopes in Nick Mason Interview BBC 6 Music

Post by Keith Jordan »

Will Pink Floyd play a reunion concert again? That is the question on many fans minds and is also on the mind of Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason also! In an interview with BBC 6 Music, Nick said, "No one has said we will never work (together) again."

However, that does not mean we should expect a full Pink Floyd tour anytime soon:

"I think it is very unlikely we are going to go out on tour however I live in hope we would absolutely do another Live 8 or play together for the right reasons," Nick told 6 Music.

The band recently turned down a charity performance which would have meant the surviving members reforming for the first time in five years after they learned it would take place in the home of the ex-wife of retired Pakistani cricketer, Imran Khan.

Now Roger Waters is touring in Europe with The Wall starting again tonight in Lisbon (21 March ) and Nick Mason is keen to witness it for himself.

Speaking to Adrian Larkin he explains what would need to happen to get them to perform together again. Take a listen to the interview on the BBC 6 Music website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20110321_reunion.shtml

Source [ BBC 6 Music, Nick Mason ]
eyeCalypso
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd Reunion Hopes in Nick Mason Interview BBC 6 M

Post by eyeCalypso »

Other than a one-off with the remaining three, I doubt it.
Nick has always been the optimist.
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

There is a lot that has to go right for this to happen but I think you will see Waters, Gilmour, and Mason performing together again. Tour? No way.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

i hope they'll soon go back in the studio and pick up where they left off after The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

mastaflatch wrote:i hope they'll soon go back in the studio and pick up where they left off after The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
Wishful thinking. I Doubt that. And after Rick, there won't be real a Pink Floyd anymore.. I love Pink Floyd with Mason, but i doubt that Gilmour and Waters would do anything impressive together again.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

JackRegan wrote:I love Pink Floyd with Mason
Was there ever any other Pink Floyd?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

i was just being an idiot <ii>
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I honestly don't think I would go if they did a reunion.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

This whole interview/conversation is a non-starter. Anytime anyone sticks a mic in front of Nick's face he says the same thing verbatim. Nothing to see here. Move along.

and yes I would go if it were to happen.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

seriously, when this band used to be good, its members were forward-looking (well, Roger was) and always trying to develop their art.
doesn't it feel like it was ages ago? the reunion has been done properly at Live 8. i can't see anything interresting happening unless they create something new. other live reunions will never be as good or legitimate as when Rick was still with us.
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

A one-off type of shows is possible but I highly doubt a tour or album. Cause of only one thing: David was a very close friend of Rick. He teared up at an awards event (cannot remember at the moment and lazy to quickly look it up) when he dedicated his award to Rick's memory and said something like, "been working with him for 40-odd years and it has come to an end, just like there are some songs I won't play again without him". He said the similar statement to Jools Holland show promoting the Gdansk album (a week after Rick's death!) in reference to performing "Echoes" and 'other songs' he said, which I believe would even include the Shine On song.

So one-off shows for charitable purposes like Nick's hopeful thinking to 'ease into retirement' as he said in a recent interview could happen but I ain't expecting a tour or album. It's all over and the Live8 is the final chapter of the 4-man classic lineup PF. I'll just look forward to David's appearance on one of Waters upcoming Wall shows. And it could all just end after that since Roger himself thinks this is his final major tour. :(
grelch wrote:This whole interview/conversation is a non-starter. Anytime anyone sticks a mic in front of Nick's face he says the same thing verbatim. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Yep, and it seems like he's usually promoting something such as his books or other projects. Currently his new car book with the audio CD is out so that's probably what's he promoting. But I don't think he's lying though but just wishful thinking on his part.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

To say something serious, I agree with everyone who thinks Live 8 was a proper final chapter of the Pink Floyd story. Every partial reunion since (the Barbican show, Roger and Nick performing together, Rick touring with David) has just been an epilogue to it. They hardly seem to even want to issue any new material, and even if any one of them records anything new (Roger, for one, has been talking about his "Heartland" concept for quite some time now, although with no real intent of recording it), I can hardly see all three of them in studio together. The only thing they could do that wouldn't seem cheesy would be a one-off tribute show for Rick, or possibly a surprise-surprise appearance by both David and Nick at one of Roger's London shows that would be filmed. That alone is too unbelievable for me, not to mention an album or a full length tour.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

i thought this might belong in this thread...bits of a recent interview with Roger:
http://www.planetrock.com/newscentre/ro ... th-me-1674
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

"They hardly seem to even want to issue any new material"

Yep - even after the post-Waters Dream (forgive the pun) we've only seen 2 original studio albums (as Pink Floyd, anyway) in the last 24 long years. New material hasn't exactly been high on the agenda, save for solo efforts. We the fans have suffered long enough to have to put up with a crappy new album sans Rick Wright - it just wouldn't be the same. (Echoes STILL gives me chills, love it!). Having said that, I'm a diehard, so I tend to snap up anything they put out, solo or otherwise (except that atrocious Orb crap that David did). Oh, and Syd Barrett re-releases. Got more than enough now.

I for one, would still go see them perform again, given a chance. I'd just wear a Rick Wright shirt out of respect :)
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

mastaflatch wrote:i thought this might belong in this thread...bits of a recent interview with Roger:
http://www.planetrock.com/newscentre/ro ... th-me-1674
Interesting that he said "Pink Floyd is Dave Gilmour and Nick Mason. It's nothing to do with me.". Oh, what a subtle swipe at them, since they "took" the band name. I think he's still just a little bitter and is only playing along for charity reasons.

C'mon Roger, you were happy to perform as a part of "Dave Gilmour & Nick Mason's Pink Floyd" at Live 8!