Pink floyd holy grails

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink floyd holy grails

Post by Massed Gadgets »

The studio recordings of Seabirds and Hollywood without the dialogue from the movie.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Anyone know if the early version of Brain Damage from Echoe's session's has surfaced or is it just a rumour?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jack Wolf wrote:
Hudini wrote: One of these "holy grails", though, is surely a song called "Peace Be With You", written by David Gilmour about Roger Waters' departure from the band. It was recorded during AMLOR sessions, but it wasn't included on the album to avoid further quarrel and possible lawsuits. It is said to be one of the best Pink Floyd songs recorded in the post-Waters era.
You wouldn't happen to have a link for that song, would you? :)
It wouldn't really be a "holy grail" if I had a link for it, would it? :D
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Hudini wrote:It wouldn't really be a "holy grail" if I had a link for it, would it? :D
It's not on YouTube, either. If Momentary Lapse... was getting an Immersion set, this would have been a great addition to the set (unless, knock on wood, the tape's been destroyed... 8-[ ).
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Massed Gadgets wrote:The studio recordings of Seabirds and Hollywood without the dialogue from the movie.
The version of "Cymbaline" sung by Roger Waters (as heard in the movie) might also be worth mentioning in this context.
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

To me everything not officially released is a holy grail. It is depressing to think how much of their history was not recorded properly (if at all) and has been lost forever. Therefore I am happy for anything I can get, especially the oldest stuff. The alternate mix of Matilda Mother is a perfect example. I didn't know existed, but once it appeared, it was every bit as much of a holy grail as things we do know about.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Wolfpack wrote:What happened with this material? I don't know the Bernard White story. I've heard something about lots of Barrett stuff being lost. But is it lost in the sense of destroyed material, or undocumented material that still has to be investigated?
IIRC, Bernard sold a lot of his collection when he was trying to get his film made. As to who he sold it to, well, you're guess is as good as mine. The rest went missing, or was just thrown away after he died. FWIW, he also apparently had some photos circa 1983 from when he paid Syd a visit at Greenwoods.

Anyway... I'd love to see Pink Floyd's performance of Top of the Pops on July 27th 1967, even if only to see just how bad Syd really was that day.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Syd's appearence on the pat Boone show is something I've not found on y/t. Anyone know if it's online anywhere?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I would like to know exactly what R. D. Laing said about Syd. I reckon he didn't say "this guy is incurable" or whatever, as Laing was against the traditional psychological values of placing a name/stigma on unusual people. I doubt Syd showed enough behaviour to make Laing say that, especially given that Laing dealt with some very traumatised people. Roger Waters says Laing was a "mad old c*** by then" but Laing was only 41 in 1968 and went on to tour America doing lectures during 1972. I sense something is not right here.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:my Holy Grail would be a soundboard of the 1967 Games For May performance
this was a theatre show
And add to that a recording from any Syd gig with "Stars".

The Committee soundtrack, not a holy grail but still a must wanted item waiting for an official release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKpT6Z5Yqk

Other must wanted items:

-Studio demos of Raving and Drooling and You Got To Be Crazy.
-Any other outtake or alt take from any of the studio sessions.
-Roger Waters' original Wall and Pros & Cons demos he showed to the band to decide.
-Soundboards from the In The Flesh '77 tour.
-Complete Pro Video of any post-DSOTM 70s show (I guess this one is truly a holy grail since it doesn't exists at all).
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Flying pig437 wrote:Syd's appearence on the pat Boone show is something I've not found on y/t. Anyone know if it's online anywhere?
Apparently the footage of this performance no longer exists! :mad:
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

my breakfast. wrote:I would like to know exactly what R. D. Laing said about Syd. I reckon he didn't say "this guy is incurable" or whatever, as Laing was against the traditional psychological values of placing a name/stigma on unusual people. I doubt Syd showed enough behaviour to make Laing say that, especially given that Laing dealt with some very traumatised people. Roger Waters says Laing was a "mad old c*** by then" but Laing was only 41 in 1968 and went on to tour America doing lectures during 1972. I sense something is not right here.
Depends who you ask. According to Nick Mason, when Laing was played a tape of Syd, his reply was "Are you sure Syd's the one with the problem here."
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sounds like the sort of thing Laing would come up with. :lol: Perhaps he had a point. His view was that too many people are labled insane only because they don't go along with society's views of a perfect and normal human being.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Speaking of tapes, instead of creating a new thread for this, I felt that this would be relevant to this thread's topic.

Today (August 25th 2011), Roger Waters left a note on his Facebook page for the Wall tour stating that a close friend of his, Nick Sedgwick, died of brain cancer earlier this week. You can read the note here. My condolences to Mr. Sedgwick's family, friends, and Mr. Waters himself: http://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-wat ... 5375514253

Waters posted the note with the intention that the people reading it would be interested in listening to the tapes Sedgwick recorded during the Dark Side of the Moon tour. It was Sedgwick's original intention to release those tapes, but the band didn't want them to be open to the public. I'm glad Waters is respecting his friend's wish to release some of that audio.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Any idea as to how Sedgwick recorded these tapes? Was he an audience bootlegger or did the band grant him access to their sound system or what?