Stuff We Can Make Up About Pink Floyd...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Stuff We Can Make Up About Pink Floyd...

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

A thread to make up silly facts that are outright lies about Pink Floyd. This'll bring them back to the forum! You have to number them though.

1. The reason "Pigs On The Wing" is just Roger playing it on a single acoustic guitar, was that whenever they played a full band version, Gilmour, Mason and Wright kept collapsing into giggles whenever Roger sang "If you didn't care/ What happened to me".
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Stuff We Can Make Up About Pink Floyd...

Post by Wolfpack »

Fun! My fantasy is on holiday, but I'll do an attempt.

2. In 1969, Barrett had daily worked for more than a year on his multi-layered, overdetailed album 'The Madcap Laughs'. But the Evil Floyd came in, erased all the tapes and so poor Barrett had to re-record everything within a few days, while Waters and Gilmour were brushing their teeth in from of him.
Harpo
Blade
Blade

Post by Harpo »

3. In January 1968 the shortlived 5-piece lineup recorded a covers album of doowop classics, but the master tapes were accidentally left in a pub.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

4. The supposed animosity between Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour was all created to cover up the fact that they were, at that time, living together in a small apartment above a gay bar in Soho.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

5. Nick Mason was the true musical genius behind Pink Floyd and the others were just hired actors.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Syd Barrett was a fan of astral travelling. However after he painted the floorboards in his flat black and red (see Madcap's cover) he became intoxicated by fumes whilst astral travelling and never fully returned to his body, hence he lived out his shell existence in Cambridge as a recluse waiting for his spirit to return to his body.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

:lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Syd Barrett actually invented the 'egg wave' during an especially fraught overdubbing session for the "Barrett" album and sending for roadies to bring him hard boiled eggs to cure, or at least placate, a stomach illness he had picked up from eating a poorly made curry at Roger Waters' mothers house the night before. The roadies eventually brought a microwave and several boxes of eggs into the recording studio and Syd found that he could cook them safely in the microwave if he first pierced their shells using a small screwdriver.

Pink Floyd came over to the studio later and sampled the sounds of Syd's microwave, the recordings of which were later used as part of the intro tape for Welcome To the Machine.

Later on in their career Pink Floyd left hidden messages on The Wall, and eventually leaked the details of these messages to fans as "easter Eggs" using the egg symbology again as reference to this latter-day encounter with Syd.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

:lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Syd is responsible for the overdubbing of Bagpipes onto AC/DC's Its a Long Way to the Top (If you wanna Rock N' Roll). For a brief period in the early '70s he and Bon Scott went to the same vegan bakery in London, and Syd had to lend Angus Young a guitar when AC/DC played at the Roundhouse in London in 1973. It seems that Syd was in the studio when AC/DC were recording their powerful new single, and had the idea of the bagpipes when AC/DC could not decide how to finish off their composition. Syd had learned the bagpipes whilst staying in a military barracks on the Isle of Skye whilst still in school.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

They were in it for the sex, drugs and rock n roll.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

my breakfast. wrote:Syd Barrett was a fan of astral travelling. However after he painted the floorboards in his flat black and red (see Madcap's cover) he became intoxicated by fumes whilst astral travelling and never fully returned to his body, hence he lived out his shell existence in Cambridge as a recluse waiting for his spirit to return to his body.
Isn't that actually the entire plot of Mastodon's Crack The Skye?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Barrett was never kicked out of Pink Floyd. He was actually a robot that they built to get them musical success. After they finished with him they just switched him off and put him in storage.
wilfsdad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wilfsdad »

Pink floyd was actually made up of members of a salvation army band. waters, wright, gilmour , mason, were just the mugs for the promotional campaign, miming for the cameras.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

danielcaux wrote:Isn't that actually the entire plot of Mastodon's Crack The Skye?

I thought it was about the death of the drummer's sister, and her diaries? Who knows, I preferred Leviathan!