NERVANA

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

NERVANA

Post by Charade I am »

Listening to this awesome track, I was wondering if maybe it was inspired by the sound of the band Nirvana, considering the fact that it was recorded around 1993, when Nirvana was in its prime. The jam sounds like something Nirvana would jam too.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: NERVANA

Post by Hudini »

It sounds more like something Neil Young would come up with, but knowing how much he inspired the grunge movement and that Nirvana (as one of the leading bands of the movement) was indeed in its prime at the time, I think it's quite possible.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I almost want to say I hope not because I thought Nirvana were crap haha.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Could have been inspired by Nirvana. Or, it could have been named after Nirvana after it was recorded and someone thought there were similarities.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

If that´s the case, I like the twist in the name. Maybe they thought that Nirvana´s music had some nerve. Anyway, I´m just guessing here. I like the hypothesis, being Pink Floyd and Nirvana two of my favourite bands.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Before the album release someone said that Nervan was some kind of eastern europe drug used as a sedative, so I was expecting a laid back very floaty song, like Pillow Of Winds. But after listening to it, and realizing it was the most hard rocking tune the band had done in years, it was impossible not to think that it was actually a reference to NIRVANA instead.

The music media around the 1992-1994 period was all about the grunge sound and image, so IMO it's quite possible that the Floyd guys were at least aware of it, and also aware of the similarities between their jam and that sound that was so fashionable around that time. So yeah, the title seems suspicious. But the real question is: were they seriously trying their hand at that sound? Much in the same way they gave the in vogue 80s production a try on AMLOR, or did they just stumble into that jam and then jokingly named it after the Washington band?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Nirvana's Kurt Cobain reminds me a bit of Syd Barrett.
A creative band leader not being able to cope with the pressure of fame.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:Before the album release someone said that Nervan was some kind of eastern europe drug used as a sedative
That would be me. When the full track listing was first posted on the forum, the original post said 'Nervan' and not 'Nervana', so I believed the track was named that. I reacted to the post because I knew about this herbal drug used for sedation (I don't really know whether it's Polish or Czech, but that doesn't matter), but it turned out the original poster mistyped the track name. I was also expecting something dreamy, in a vein of their early psychedelic/acoustic stuff, but when I learned the real title I honestly didn't know what to expect.
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Post by Es Vedra »

In 1994 David Gilmour was a very vocal fan of the 'grunge' band The Lemonheads. In fact I recall him saying his favourite song was My Drug Buddy. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxNcaS-yck
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

I think the title has a different meaning - nerve as it getting on your nerves. The track is deliberately annoying, but in a good way if you know what I mean. I understand that it does't fit all that well into the narrative they put together for TER but I do think it is interesting and enjoyable in its own way and I'm glad it was released.
rarepinkfloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rarepinkfloyd »

Don't know for Nervana but i have made up my mind about Evrika (see the shirt of Rick) 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.