What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

Post by Steph22 »

I can't remember the first one I actually paid money for, but I listened to The Wall a lot because a friend of my brother's left the lp at our house and never came to get it. I still have the record too! 8)
Mother
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mother »

I had Dark Side of the Moon, or at least heard it a few times, and I remember when The Wall came out, but got really interested when A Momentary Lapse of Reason came out in 1987. I bought this box set and Floyd mania began:

But I loved AMLoR. Not their best album in retrospect but a fine Dave Gilmour solo album if anything. Still have a special place for it.

Mother's music reviews
http://piercebrwn.wordpress.com/
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

First I heard...Ummagumma

First I bought....Piper At the Gates Of Dawn
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

First I heard: The Wall

First I owned: The Wall (given as a birthday present.)

First I bought with my own money: The Wall (bought a used cd copy from a groundskeeper at the apartment complex that I lived in at the time,) however, I once used the food money given to me for a school trip to purchase a copy of "Wish You Were Here" prior to that.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

My first Floyd experience was watching VHS tapes of The Wall movie and The Wall Live at Berlin back to back during a vacation trip at my cousin's home. I instantly fell in love with the song "Is there anybody out there?", so 6 months later I obviously bought The Wall... and PULSE! Just because in the mean time I had watched the video version of it at the library and instantly fell in love with One Of These Days and High Hopes. You can imagine my chagrin when I found out that the CD version didn't have OOTD on it!!! ](*,)

The frst Floyd album I held in my hand was an empty DSOTM cassette case though. I remember finding that simple artwork reeeally intriguing... and wanting to hear the music on it really badly. Reading the titles of the songs and imagining how they would sound: Time... Money... Brain Damage... Breathe In The Air... But since the internet wasn't around then, I just forgot about it the next day :D
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

the first album I owned was Dark side the first I bought was relics followed shortly by A nice pear
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

First I heard: The Final Cut -I heard The Gunner's Dream and I thought it was the best thing to ever grace my ears, especially the sax solo!

First I bought: The Wall (CD) - An album that I will love all my life!

Its been a journey, I wish I could go and back and forget Floyd just to get that feeling of hearing them for the first time.

:)
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

The Dark Side of The Moon, it is essential that ANY newcomer to this band must start with this album and anybody who disagrees with me gets fed to the lions :twisted:
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

The Machman wrote:The Dark Side of The Moon, it is essential that ANY newcomer to this band must start with this album and anybody who disagrees with me gets fed to the lions :twisted:
Out there on "the webs" there is a 40th anniversary fan-made version of DSOTM with some tweaks, called "The Dark Side of the Moon: The Power of the Dark Side" or something like that. It's really quite good!
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

cskg25 wrote:
The Machman wrote:The Dark Side of The Moon, it is essential that ANY newcomer to this band must start with this album and anybody who disagrees with me gets fed to the lions :twisted:
Out there on "the webs" there is a 40th anniversary fan-made version of DSOTM with some tweaks, called "The Dark Side of the Moon: The Power of the Dark Side" or something like that. It's really quite good!
I SO HAPPY! :D :D :D
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

First I had was my brother’s unwanted copy of Relics. Then I was given DSotM as a birthday present, followed by WYWH. It all goes a bit hazy after that but I do remember bicycling into town after school having saved my pocket money. I’d lean my bike against the window of the record shop and go straight to the Pink Floyd rack, look through the covers and choose one. Then it’d be saving again until I could afford another. I clearly remember looking at the covers of Ummagumma, More, AHM and Obscured by Clouds and wondering what treasures they contained and agonising over which to choose.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

On vinyl it might have been 'Ummagumma' or 'Meddle', in 1987.
Or maybe 'Momentary Lapse of Reason'.

On CD, at the end of 1987, it was 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.
I wanted to buy it on vinyl, but could only get the mono version. (At the time I thought that was just folded down stereo.)

Before that time, I only had compact cassette copies.
'A Nice Pair' was the first I got that way, in 1986.
tonymasiello
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tonymasiello »

cskg25 wrote:My mum got me DSOTM on CD which was great because I had heard her QUAD vinyl album in the 70s and thought the money sounds in 4 speakers was neat ;) The first I actually paid for was MLOR. Then of course I went back and got everything I could, even Zabriskie Point :lol:
Your Mom had a quad setup? How cool is that? Do you recall any other quad albums that she played?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Agreed, it was DSOTM for me

:)
Harpo
Blade
Blade

Post by Harpo »

My dad had most of them in the 70s and I listened to his copies. The first I actually bought for myself was Relics in 1980, though I'd been given The Wall as a Christmas present at the end of 1979.