What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Re: What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

Post by johnjohnstone »

I heard See Emily Play when it was in the charts but didn't buy an album until I got Relics a couple of days after my Dad came home with DSOTM
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

First album heard: DSOTM, back in 1993 or 1994. I know I was around 13 at the time. Found both DSOTM and 'A Nice Pair' in a box full of old LPs while moving some stuff from my grandfather's house. 'On The Run' scared the crap out of me on that first listen. :lol: I already knew some Floyd stuff before that, such as ABITW or 'Learning To Fly' (I have an active memory of seeing bits and pieces of 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' on TV when I was about 10, particularly 'One Of These Days'), but that was the first time I heard an album of theirs all the way through.

First album owned: Not counting the aforementioned LPs, which I technically confiscated, I got a cassette copy of AMLOR as a present later the same year if I remember correctly. I still have it somewhere.

First album bought: TDB, also on cassette, when it was brand new. I used to listen to it with headphones on so that my folks would think I was doing my homework. :lol:

First CD bought: 'Animals', the 1997 remaster. It was actually the first CD I ever bought.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Just imagine in a few years when someone posts in this thread

"The Endless River"
Luvelle Raevan
Axe
Axe

Post by Luvelle Raevan »

First PF album I recall listening to at a party was Meddle. It had a real impact - I got sick and threw up...well, I was really drunk at the time (to use a line from DSOTM) and high. The true beginning of PF physical addiction! I was afraid to listen to it for years after...now I adore Meddle, especially Echoes. Also the Echoes video "Live At Pompeii" is so cool, love that vid.

First album I bought was DSOTM. The architecture of sound.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

A quadraphonic copy of DSotM. No, we didn't have a quadraphonic system at home - I was young and didn't know what I was doing. It was matrixed, so still sounded OK.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

My mom had DSoTM my early youth, but the first floyd album I got myself was "Collection of Great Dance Songs" On Vinyl for my record player in the early 80's
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

DSOTM....thought that there were solid sound particles emitting from the speakers when i first heard the album...
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

I was exposed to Pink Floyd virtually from birth, but it took a long, long time before I got my first Floyd album. My father, who has been a fan since the 70's, used to play cassette tapes of 'The Wall' and (because it was the most recent by 1992) 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' in the background. When I was 3 years old, in 1995, he got hold of the P.U.L.S.E VHS. For the first time, I was able to see what I had always been hearing. I grew obsessed with it. I watched it relentlessly. It was a spectacle that blew my young mind. For my 4th birthday, in 1996, I was given an entire children's music kit - including an electric guitar, an amplifier, and a microphone with stand. I would strum and sing pretending to be David Gilmour. Other times, I would get a heap of pots and pans from the kitchen and pretend I was Nick Mason.

But this was literally the extent of my Floyd experience until I was about 15. As I got older, I watched P.U.L.S.E less and less and I had no real interest in exploring anything outside of it. I think I felt like everything else was inferior. The studio versions of the songs lacked the energy of the live performances. I thought P.U.L.S.E was the pinnacle of the Floyd experience.

In 2007, this changed. My Dad found his old AMLOR cassette and asked me to listen to a certain track which he didn't think I'd heard before. It was 'On the Turning Away'. It took less than a minute for me to vaguely recognize it as a song that he used to play in the background when I was very, very young. I loved it. This sparked a surge of interest in Floyd music and I spent the next few months exploring as much Floyd material - official and otherwise - as I could get my hands on. A lot of this came from my father who had vinyls and CD's stored away.

My first major purchases of Floyd's discography came with the release of the 'Why Pink Floyd' campaign. I instantly ordered the Discovery set and the three Immersion sets. You could say, then, that the first album I myself bought was, in fact, all of them at once. :)
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

The first Pink Floyd album I bought was The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. I was only really familiar with the Syd Barrett material through being a fan of Captain Sensible and The Soft Boys. It's only over the past couple of years I have been catching up on the rest of the albums. David Gilmour era is more faithful to the early sound which got a bit lost post Atom Heart Mother.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

atom heart mother and dsotm from a car boot sale in 1984

the full collection were already in our household (parents) but they were my first buys
Grilo do Demo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Grilo do Demo »

I actually think it was the Live at Pompeii DVD.
Michael Orme
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Michael Orme »

Relics was the first record I bought by anyone. Still play it, and glad I bought it. Wish I could buy another copy on vinyl. Mike.
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

A Momentary Lapse of Reason in '87. I was 17. I saw video of Learning to Fly and it was so cool! It was unlike anything I knew before.

I did not really know Pink Floyd at the time, but it was one of the greatest discovery of my life! This is my favorite band ever since.

At that time, I listened AMLoR every day for the first 5 or 6 months!. I liked every song, except New Part Machine :) Subsequently, I bought Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here... After a year or two, I got a little tired of AMLoR... However, I still like On the Turning Away and Sorrow. Oh and I never hated Dog of Wars!!
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

RonBaker2003 wrote:"Ummagumma" followed within the next few weeks by "Piper" and "Saucerful of Secrets".

Same here. Funny 'ol world 'innit?
aisfle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by aisfle »

The Wall