What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Re: What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

Post by cskg25 »

tonymasiello wrote:
cskg25 wrote:My mum got me DSOTM on CD which was great because I had heard her QUAD vinyl album in the 70s and thought the money sounds in 4 speakers was neat ;) The first I actually paid for was MLOR. Then of course I went back and got everything I could, even Zabriskie Point :lol:
Your Mom had a quad setup? How cool is that? Do you recall any other quad albums that she played?
Just the one other that I recall hearing - Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. It was freakin amazing at the time, of course. Still love that album, but haven't been able to find (or hear) a quad version since :(
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

Michael Orme wrote:Relics was the first record I bought by anyone. Still play it, and glad I bought it. Wish I could buy another copy on vinyl. Mike.
Hey Mike,
From time to time in "antique mall" type places, you can find Relics, amongst other Floyd vinyl titles. I've actually seen TWO copies in recent months in our local stores (Midwest USA). You just have to go in, be prepared to spend the time looking through boxes and boxes of vinyl, and really look, never giving up. I have found quite a few records this way. Amazingly last month, I was in Galveston Texas, of all places, and happened to find an "Original Master" of DSOTM on vinyl. Mind blown, I was shocked to see it at all. The outside cover was a bit tatty, but the vinyl itself was in VG+ to Ex condition. And I only paid $15 for it. You just never know! Keep trying :)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

DSOTM on a tape in a corner shop in 1990.
What was interesting was it turned out I'd heard this album before in the 80's when the teacher used the into to "Time" for a school assembly project (Where I got to interview a paper mache Triceratops, and mysteriously ended up smoking a lot of pot after I left school?) and as a treat he played the whole album.
But 1990 and more importantly, catching the final half hour of Roger's Berlin excursions that made me think "OK, I need some Floyd in my life. DSOTM seems to be highly thought of. Let's see what that's like?"
henno

Post by henno »

the first PF albums i "obtained" were DSOTM and The Wall, both at the same time.

I got a voucher for a local music shop as a gift so i ordered both on CD.

the first i actually bought would have been "the first 3 singles" compo they brought out, followed quickly by PATGOD and Ummagumma
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

I got DSotM as a xmas present in 1973 from my fiancé (and now my wife). Then in September 1975 I bought WYWH and 7 more ;)

I almost got divorced at that moment having spent all our food money on PF albums. But I guess she forgave me since she hasn't walked out - yet.
Meddle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Meddle »

Mine was meddle momentary lapse of reason and division bell
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

I bought the CD The Dark Side Of The Moon in October, I know it's kind of late, but I wasn't very familiar with Pink Floyd before since I'm still 14. Nothing has ever been the same since. It's a deep and thoughtful album which makes you think about how crazy everyday life can be.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

You're 14 and you just bought your first Pink Floyd album and you find it deep and thoughtful? There might be hope for humanity after all. :)
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

Thank you, sir. I'd been absolutely fed up with top 40 pop/electro/rap (I love oldschool 80's/90's rap. but today's rap is shit) rubbish, so I bought it. I had been into music of the 50's - 90's, but I never really listened to Pink Floyd. Now, I've become a complete Floyd fanatic. :) :D
Hudini wrote:You're 14 and you just bought your first Pink Floyd album and you find it deep and thoughtful? There might be hope for humanity after all. :)
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

EclipsedByTheMoon wrote:Thank you, sir. I'd been absolutely fed up with top 40 pop/electro/rap (I love oldschool 80's/90's rap. but today's rap is shit) rubbish, so I bought it. I had been into music of the 50's - 90's, but I never really listened to Pink Floyd. Now, I've become a complete Floyd fanatic. :) :D
Congrats, young fella. My son feels the same way (he is 16). He prefers "real" music like Led Zep, Black Keys, Foo Fighters, (some) Floyd, Green Day etc, and hates the "pop" scene altogether. BTW, there is a LOT of Pink Floyd stuff out there, especially non-commercial releases. I think the more you dig, the more you'll be pleasantly surprised. Welcome To The Machine ;)
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

The Wall. It was early 80s & my friends & I were still in school. Thought we had discovered something "New" not knowing The Pink Floyd had been around for over fifteen years! Thankfully for us we had older friends who turned us on to Dark Side, Animals, WYWH, Meddle Etc.
Johnny Feathers
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Johnny Feathers »

The Wall. A friend of mine lent me his tape of the Wall in college. (This was the early 90's.) I loved the whole thing, but as soon as I heard Comfortably Numb--somehow I'd managed not to have ever heard it before then--I was hooked for life. I couldn't buy my own copy (on CD) fast enough. Soon after that was Momentary Lapse, The Dark Side 20th anniversary, and the Shine On box set. All right before The Division Bell came out as the first authentic new Pink Floyd album released after I discovered them.
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

Dark Side

Then Animals , from the local library.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

It was Relics on cassette. I was familiar with The Wall after becoming obsessed with my Grandfathers copy on vinyl but knew no more about Pink Floyd. The artwork on the inner gatefold of The Wall fascinated me as a youngster, so when I saw the great design on the Relics cover I bought that................Imagine my surprise when I heard songs like Interstellar Overdrive, Cirrus Minor and Bike!!!! I couldn't figure out how this was the same band so it took a few years of listening to get familiar with the rest of the catalogue. I used to bring my friends round and give them a listen - and thankfully turned a whole bunch of mates onto the Floyd. Never looked back.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Great story, thanks for postimg