New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Flathead »

Love the opener, ad the closer is good. Also, Rick's organ solo.

The rest is simply terrible. I'd rather hear ten different iterations of the opener than the rest.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

UK acts account for one in seven of all albums sold around the world, according to new figures.

The success of the likes of Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran saw British albums and singles generate around $2.75bn (£1.8bn) in sales last year.

UK music accounted for 12% of album sales in the US, 15% in Canada and around 20% in Australia and Italy, according to the British Phonographic Industry's (BPI) Music Market 2015 Yearbook.

The trade body, which represents UK record labels, said UK acts made up 13.7% of global sales and just over one in seven albums sold last year.

The BPI said five of the top 10 global recording artists of the year were British - One Direction, Sheeran, Coldplay, Smith and Pink Floyd.

Scottish-born Australian rockers AC/DC were also in the top 10.

BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor called the figures "truly outstanding".

He said: "Music is a tremendous exports success story for the UK - all around the world, fans are listening to the records we produce, supporting not only our balance of trade but a positive image for Britain overseas.

"It's encouraging to have a government that backs British music exports and understands the key role music plays in projecting Britain's identity as a creative powerhouse."

Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Sajid Javid, said: "The popularity of British music at home and abroad is, appropriately, only going in 'One Direction'.

"These record figures are fantastic news and show the enormous demand for UK music all around the world."

:: Top 10 Global Recording Artists in 2014

1. Taylor Swift - 1989

2. One Direction - Four

3. Ed Sheeran - X

4. Coldplay - Ghost Stories

5. AC/DC - Rock Or Bust

6. Michael Jackson - Xscape

7. Pink Floyd - The Endless River

8. Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour

9. Katy Perry - Prism

10. Beyonce - Beyonce
http://news.sky.com/story/1495835/brit- ... lbum-sales

Seems to be the final word on it until it re-charts or ever gets discovered again.
AC/DC, really though!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

There's an article out there with Phil Taylor and he comments on some of the equipment used for TER. of particular note I think is that Gilmour used Waters's old 70s bass. I presume this is also in TDB, and I thought it was cool to find out.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

After being in my ears from the very start when it came out, I have to say that that initial what the fuck is that is now simply gone
and I really, really love the album. It's quite good. A nice pair with the division bell.

The only thing that I dont like is Louder then words. TER should have ended right after surfacing.
Another Polly-Ono intervention that fucked up a possibly nice tune that could have standed alone.

But, all in all a good Pink Floyd album.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I need to sit down and listen to the 5.1 of this again, but I still really love this album too.

Need to try putting it on back to back with DB as a double album.
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Seems to be the final word on it until it re-charts or ever gets discovered again.
AC/DC, really though!
Acca Dacca have sold 200 million albums all up and the new one is almost past 2 million!

TER did 2.5 million in 2014 alone though!
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

Question. On my Spotify when I downloaded TER I ended up with three more songs than the physical CD I bought. Is this just an American thang??
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

pffann wrote:Question. On my Spotify when I downloaded TER I ended up with three more songs than the physical CD I bought. Is this just an American thang??
Aren't the three extra tracks from the deluxe edition? Still not heard the three tracks, and still not bought the deluxe edition.
I'll get round to it. But I'm still enjoying TER. (Despite not listening to it for a bit)
Johnny Feathers
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Johnny Feathers »

I still have a very hard time accepting TER as an actual ALBUM by Pink Floyd. Everything about it seems like a bunch of outtakes that someone associated with the band cooked together to call it an album. The timing was particularly suspicious, too--as a bonus disc to the Division Bell deluxe set, it could have worked, and would have been delightful as a new listen. It's only when calling it "Rick's swan song", or "the FINAL Pink Floyd album" that it can't possibly live up to the billing. It really points to marketing driving the creation of the whole thing, and makes the entire project suspect. Obviously they'll sell more copies of "Pink Floyd's last album!" than they would a giant Division Bell box set with bonus material.

That said, I did listen to the Division Bell 5.1 DVD, followed by the Endless River 5.1 blu-ray, and it wasn't bad as a sort of sleepy extension/bonus material of an album (DB) which I actually quite like. Ironically, the highlight of the album is Autumn '68, which had nothing to do with the 1993 recordings, and which I would LOVE to hear more of. Also, the packaging/menus are really, really nice--certainly the nicest looking PF video elements they've done.

It's a shame the lyrics couldn't have been better to the last track, though. It's so jarring, after about an hour of instrumental material (of admittedly varying quality), to have that first line of lyrics come in and just be so bad. I would otherwise have added the track to my "Pink Floyd shuffle" playlist, but as such, decided it didn't pass muster. Let's hope Gilmour's upcoming album has SOME kind of decent lyric in it.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Well I'm quite happy it came out and I have said before if if if this could've been a massive double album. I love it and listen to it s lot more than I realise. I'm for ever grateful on the gift and I don't suspect money was the reason it came out. However yes it is quite bad to suddenly hear voices again and the first two lines being so cheesy. It's just tough to sing out loud. I wouldn't hold my breath for better Gilmour lyrics as he always States solo he feels no pressure to not do whatever he wants...
MrAnderson
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MrAnderson »

Side 3. Forever and ever.
Vincenzo Coccotti
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Vincenzo Coccotti »

I think there are too many instrumentals on this album. I like instrumentals, I'm very fond of both "Talkin' Hawkin'" and "Surfacing". (I also like "Mudmen" and "Terminal Frost" a lot.) But my opinion is that instrumentals shouldn't dominate a Pink Floyd album, simply because I feel it becomes a bit too boring with almost no singing.

Having said that, the only tune with Gilmour's voice on it, "Louder Than Words", is such a beautiful composition. I would buy the "The Endless River" even if that had been the only track on the album.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Johnny, a collection of outtakes can make up an album if they're sorted properly. Beside that, the sound is there, the musicians are there... good enough, I think.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

In my ears, the unsung hero on "The Endless River" is actually Nick Mason. As I understand, he was much more in charge of the drumming on this album, than compared to "AMLOR". I think I read somewere that he re-recorded his drum parts on the TER to get the superb sound as it did got.

It is also sad to know that there doesn't seem to me more productions with Mr Mason to come, with this very last Pink Floyd album. No solo records, and I guess nor Mr Gilmour or Mr Waters will pick Mr Mason onboard to assist them on coming solo records.

Best regards,
Peter
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

There were talks of Nick appearing on Rattle That Lock, but that obviously didn't tranpsire, for whatever reason.

Shame really. :(
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I don't remember much drums on TER, or am I just being stupid?