New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Hudini »

There's lots of drums on TER, including a two minute drum solo.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I feel ashamed now :oops: Need a relisten.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TER!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

indeed, happy anniversary. somewhat disappointed in my southernly neighbours in that it hasn't hit platinum in the States yet. not that sales matter, but they sure help to boast about when they are there.

Indeed, Mason said earlier on that TER stemmed from him helping Gilmour (by playing drums) for what became RTL. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have made the final mix, whatever degree of help he might have provided. I find it kind of touching that he even called Mason, as I'd surmise he'd probably blocked his number during the OAI times :lol:
I'm also happy that they decided to do a Pink Floyd album in the meantime (before finishing RTL). Sorry to reiterate, but who would've thought?

And yes, Mason is ON FIRE on TER. I'm a drummer and I can tell you that this is Mason at his best. I'm not saying he's the best drummer in the world, etc, jazz vs rock, etc, or anything like that. I'm just comparing him to himself.
So glad, and I've said this before, that he got his wish of a final dance with the Floyd, and that he actually prepared for it, as I have always felt that he just doesn't practise and arranges his way out of it. I'm sure other drummers/instrumentalists can relate. I can't prove it, but I said ahead of the release, that his solo would likely be similar to Saucerful (syncopated), and probably a bit tribal. I was right! Nothing wrong with that, though.
ps I doubt any of the drums on TER are from the 90s. everything sounds top notch and re-done. No additional percussionists either (like for Live 8). bravo, Nick.

edit: I'm almost sure that I read that Skins is in fact based on an old 90s recording of him warming up. With lots of new stuff added, and of course, a demented Gilmour, reminiscent of Pompeii, for a brand spanking new PF track by all of the 2 band members!
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The more I listen to this, the more I like it.

And it's because of Rick.

It's better than The Final Cut, better than AMLOR, better than Pros and Cons, better than Radio Kaoss, and the sonics (not songwriting)are better than Amused to Death.

A lot of it goes back to Ummagumma style, which was desperately needed. Sure, it often sounds like a keyboard demo and a bit too polished, but this kind of experimentation was BADLY needed from the Floyd.

I put together a playlist on my phone combing the best of TDB nd TER, and I'm thrilled with it.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Belated Happy Birthday to The Endless River.

I saw a friend I hadn't seen for a decade recently, and I thought for a few days that he'd nicked my CD!
It was only during a more "intensive" search I found the disc that had dropped out of the booklet!
Listening since, I'm finding I prefer the first two pieces, although I love the Albert Hall augmentation part in 3.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

moom wrote:I don't remember much drums on TER, or am I just being stupid?
Sir, I am too polite to answer a such question. :-)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Peter Harold wrote:
moom wrote:I don't remember much drums on TER, or am I just being stupid?
Sir, I am too polite to answer a such question. :-)
It's okay with me ;)
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

not sure if this has come up before, but did anyone have a copy of The Big Spliff, or did anyone listen to it enough to compare it to TER?
All I ever heard online was a rough (and a sped-up) version of Allons-y, and some outtakes for TDB tracks.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

No one ever had a copy of 'The Big Spliff'. Everything we know of it is based on statements by the band members. There were several demos and outtakes from TDB sessions available on the internet at some point, but none of those have been confirmed as a part of 'The Big Spliff'.

Out of tracks that would later appear on 'The Endless River', we have previously heard an integral version of 'Allons-Y' and a shorter version of 'Anisina', both slightly faster than their album versions, as well as one of the 'TBS' instrumentals from the bonus CD. And speaking of 'TBS', quite a few people hoped it stood for 'The Big Spliff' but it apparently turned out it meant 'The Bell Sessions'.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

As far as I know very little of "The Big Spliff" was used on TER.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

thanks. that makes sense. sneaky, naming the TBS, though. it did sound very shaky for something put together by PF's sound engineer. I buy that they're jam recordings a lot more than Andy's pet project.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

I think TBS is short for The Bell Sessions, not The Big Spliff.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

I do like TBS9...better than Anasina or Talking Hawkin.
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

This is a nice album to put on when reading. Would have been cool if Gilmour performed Louder Than Words at the gig I went to in September of last year - but hey. Can't have it all.