New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

And just as the second track comes to close, I come across this thread on the forum...

It's very moreish, not "More"-ish. Was it really 2014 over a year ago?

("Ebb And Flow" playing now)
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Was it really 2014 over a year ago?
More like two.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

given that TER is not certified platinum after almost 2 years, in the US; is it the worst selling floyd album released since like, ages ago?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24467

I can't think of anything else not selling as well, discounting compilations and allowing live albums (recent ones, that is, not is there anybody out there).

obviously, the world has changed, and buying the album is not a must anymore, because of rampant piracy and individual song sales, even when comparing to the times of TDB.
going into the search for RIAA, the last album to have done so poorly, so to speak, is Obscured by Clouds. I didn't even bother confirming that everything after that up to The Wall was multi-platinum. The Final Turd itself was platinum by 1983. Obscured is still stuck at gold (I rather listen to obscured than final turd btw). RIAA monitors official downloads btw, I believe 5 downloads equal 1 album sale or something like that.

Sigh.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

As Gilmour has said, The Endless River is not for the Itunes downloading individual tracks generation.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Always heard the album as their farewell tribute to Rick, yes...but also almost like a retrospective of their music career without using outright musical quotes. Some of the bits or performances are just enough to get you thinking about this that or the other piece or time or style in their history without being specific. A rather nice farewell. A look back as it were...sorta, kinda. That said I can't put it near the top of my list. Other albums stand taller.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Its an encore album. The PF catalogue would have been fine without TER but its icing on the cake. Ive always thought of TDB as the last PF album and TER is an extension of that theme but definitely an album that can at the same time stand on its own.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

ChickenStu wrote:Would have been cool if Gilmour performed Louder Than Words at the gig I went to in September of last year - but hey. Can't have it all.
Has LTW been performed live? I tried finding it on YouTube, but no dice.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

BertWW96 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:Would have been cool if Gilmour performed Louder Than Words at the gig I went to in September of last year - but hey. Can't have it all.
Has LTW been performed live? I tried finding it on YouTube, but no dice.
It has been rehearsed by the band, but not played live.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

thanks
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I still see the album as it was originally intended - a companion piece to support The Division Bell. Kind of like an outtake ambient album; albeit very well done.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

In terms of sonic companions, I think that Metallic Spheres (The Orb + David Gilmour) works very well with The Endless River. They are the products of a similar era (MS was recorded in 2009, TER studio work started in 2012). Gilmour and Youth collaborated closely on both albums, and Gilmour's guitar sound on both records is very similar. Both are essentially long instrumental records. I listened to MS and TER one after another a couple of times, and I would recommend it as an experiment.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

maybe i should try it, but i for one found the Orb's recent stuff with gilmour boring at best, passé most of the time. gilmour's work sounds like 1 take too.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

raisemyrent wrote:maybe i should try it, but i for one found the Orb's recent stuff with gilmour boring at best, passé most of the time. gilmour's work sounds like 1 take too.
Well I've just finished listening to it and wondered where the thread for this album was and here it is with your post!
I recommend getting it as a CD instead of Devices streaming album.
I like some parts more than the other. I think it's as an essential Pink Floyd album as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. It sounds more Pink Floyd than TFC.
There's all sorts of madness with the album and how it could have been bettered.
But avoid those and just concentrate on a great instrumental tribute to Rick Wright which also serves as a Greatest Hits of every instrumental the band made in their careers. Although 70's and 80's sounds are the ones you hear the most when listening to it.
But The Endless River is an album that has to be bought as a physical copy certainly.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

agreed 100%. preaching to the choir here. you might not find a bigger fan of the endless river anwyhere round here!

the orb stuff, I listened once and abandoned. good for background when cleaning the flat maybe. perhaps deserves a second serious go.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I think it's as an essential Pink Floyd album as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
:shock: