New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Keith Jordan »

Flathead wrote:The new song is terrible. The production is incredibly dated (especially the keyboards) and the lyrics are cringe-worthy.
I think that is a compliment. It's a swansong for Richard which means the last time he recorded a Pink Floyd album this sound was the thing. I think it has been produced as a Division Bell compendium and that is great. 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I still can't swallow the lyrics, but I'm loving the song. I only wish it was longer.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

Yeah I'm liking blasting the song on my Kicker system. Can't wait to hear the rest. Too bad for those who's boat it doesn't float. Sucks to be you. The rest of us will enjoy it regardless. <ii>
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Very disappointed with that ban. I'll try to avoid personal abuse, but I think that poster is extremely disrespectful and either baiting people or just has no regard or respect for anyone.

Anyway I'm not overly keen on that lyrics, but it's a great song. Gilmour's voice is fantastic fo a 68 year old man, and his tone and playing is impeccable as always.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

You know, after hearing the various interviews, I think the lyrics have to be taken in context. Sure they are not going to be as Floydian as a Waters written song lyrically. Few are. He is a masterful lyricist when he leaves politics out of it. Gilmour freely admits that neither he nor Mason are as adept at expressing themselves lyrically. I have absolutely no issue with him and Mason relating to Polly what they wanted to say and having her convey them as the accomplished writer/novelist she is. They are obviously the ideas and feelings of Gilmour and Mason, penned by Samson. Why some people utterly hate this woman is beyond me. She co-wrote much of TDB for Pete's sake. The music is most certainly "Floyd". That doesn't sound like anyone else IMO.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

hypermikem wrote:You know, after hearing the various interviews, I think the lyrics have to be taken in context. Sure they are not going to be as Floydian as a Waters written song lyrically. Few are. He is a masterful lyricist when he leaves politics out of it. Gilmour freely admits that neither he nor Mason are as adept at expressing themselves lyrically. I have absolutely no issue with him and Mason relating to Polly what they wanted to say and having her convey them as the accomplished writer/novelist she is. They are obviously the ideas and feelings of Gilmour and Mason, penned by Samson. Why some people utterly hate this woman is beyond me. She co-wrote much of TDB for Pete's sake. The music is most certainly "Floyd". That doesn't sound like anyone else IMO.

I am upset with the fact that RW is not involved with the Floyds final proyect and thats disrespectful to the fans and the bands legacy itself.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Plus, you've seen how clipped and reserved Gilmour is in interviews. You can really see it on TV interviews. Nothing to do with being nervous for the camera, I think he really is "repressed" in social terms, so I can't see him writing lyrics like the ones we've got.

I'm more expecting at least one tear of happiness for the instrumental parts of the album. But now I know the 1 hour 11 time, I'll have to catch up to the 20 times, as I only heard it twice!
And as I said a few pages ago, I am expecting some serious love/hate/disappointed/pennydrops/excitement emotions over the album.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

thefinalcut wrote: I am upset with the fact that RW is not involved with the Floyds final proyect and thats disrespectful to the fans and the bands legacy itself.
But given the shadows cast by both Waters and Barrett, then the most logical album they could have made was an instrumental album? Maybe not around the time of AMLOR, I agree, but TER seems the sort of album that was always in them.
Once you come to terms with no Waters on the album (But what about Roger Waters "Homeland" project? Or is that going to get comments of 'If only Gilmour and Mason played on this album' instead?) the album will be easier to judge and accept.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Listening to the BBC broadcast of Louder than Words.

I think it is hard to judge this, thus far. Whatever production merits are ruined by the BBC's compression here. I don't mean bitrate compression compression but that thick, laggy dynamic compression that FM radio broadcasters still use, even on digital radio. This squashes the dynamic range out of the music, so I wager the guitar solo won't be pushed into the background by overbearing synth pads (or are they backing vocals?) and the bass won't hang on every note like it currently does. Some of the keyboard sounds are a little dated, so I presume this is what Rick played in the '90s. Sounds like the band had a simple two-chord D major to A minor jam, circa 1994, that Dave and co fortified in the studio. Those twinkly electric piano tones are very tired sounding.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

Played the song 20 times since yesterday and it gets better each listen (I know I downloaded before Paul Loasby and Warner Music (your neck of woods) and Sony cried foul and put on CD-R IMMEDIATELY and deleted the file from hard drive so I won't get arrested). I will buy the new album STREET DATE! The four samples and Louder Than Words and the snippet from the BBC interview (which had David's backing vocals and lap steel) had led me to buy this STREET DATE! I think Best Buy may issue the audio from the Blu-Ray as a bonus CD with bonus tracks. If that's the case, I will buy CD there, the CD/Blu-Ray from Amazon AND the LP somehow! Heard the full six minutes with extra lines and outro before it got pulled. The four minute edit will suffice until 11 November, unless Redbeard of In the Studio has a world premiere episode of the album!
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

thefinalcut wrote:
hypermikem wrote:You know, after hearing the various interviews, I think the lyrics have to be taken in context. Sure they are not going to be as Floydian as a Waters written song lyrically. Few are. He is a masterful lyricist when he leaves politics out of it. Gilmour freely admits that neither he nor Mason are as adept at expressing themselves lyrically. I have absolutely no issue with him and Mason relating to Polly what they wanted to say and having her convey them as the accomplished writer/novelist she is. They are obviously the ideas and feelings of Gilmour and Mason, penned by Samson. Why some people utterly hate this woman is beyond me. She co-wrote much of TDB for Pete's sake. The music is most certainly "Floyd". That doesn't sound like anyone else IMO.

I am upset with the fact that RW is not involved with the Floyds final proyect and thats disrespectful to the fans and the bands legacy itself.
You know a good many people feel that way. That is your right, as everyone has an opinion. I mean same thing with Journey. Many people remain pissed that Perry is no longer part of that as well, no matter how good Arnel Pineda sounds and refuse to go see them. Same thing with Guns N Roses. you have your Slash faction and you have your Axl factions and both side bitterly feud online, but the fact remain the one thing they ALL would love to see is for them to all reunite. In a perfect world this would happen and everyone could get together and sing Kumbaya again, but we all know this is very unlikely. Waters left the band. He was not fired. How is carrying on with the band being disrespectful? He lost his chance at adding to the Floyd legacy by trying to murder Pink Floyd. Besides, TDB had nothing to do with Waters and this music is from those sessions. Where would he fit in since he was never a part of the original TDB project? Maybe that doesn't even matter to someone who can/will never get over Waters leaving the band.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I can't wait to get my hands on TER, because there is something I really want to try at home with my audio software, for my own private amusement: to "reconstruct" TDB as a double album (something they considered back in 1993-1994, but had not time to do). First disc only containing songs, second disc purely instrumental. TDB has 9 songs and 2 instrumentals (Cluster One and Marooned) - I will mix in Louder Than Words somewhere on the first disc with the rest of the TDB songs, and mix in Cluster One and Marooned with the rest of the TER for the purely instrumental disc. Should be an interesting result :D
FransT
Axe
Axe

Post by FransT »

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

FransT wrote:http://www.glidemagazine.com/125225/pin ... ng-review/

Great review, he's damn right!
What an absolute lot of drivel. He talks about people convincing themselves its good. He should speak for himself, some people don't need convincing and just don't share the same opinion as this diddy.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

kjek1 wrote:
FransT wrote:http://www.glidemagazine.com/125225/pin ... ng-review/

Great review, he's damn right!
What an absolute lot of drivel. He talks about people convincing themselves its good. He should speak for himself, some people don't need convincing and just don't share the same opinion as this diddy.
Right? Who is that guy? Waters incognito? :lol: Yet another Waters disciple that happens to write articles. Nothing good since DSOTM? :roll: Say no more. Dude lost all credibility when he said that. So much for journalistic objectivity. All that without so much as giving the entire album a listen. What a douche. A transparent one at that.