Which Delicate Sound Of Thunder mix of Comfortably Numb do you prefer

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which Mix of Comfortably Numb do you prefer of DSOT (solo & vocals)

Original 1989 Mix
38%
2019 remix
63%

Total votes: 8

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Which Delicate Sound Of Thunder mix of Comfortably Numb do you prefer

Post by azza200 »

theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Which Delicate Sound Of Thunder mix of Comfortably Numb do you prefer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I have to say I prefer the 2019 remix for the whole album much more than the original. When I first got into their live recordings there was something that I didn't quite connect with on Delicate Sound of Thunder, but the remix actually sits up there with P.U.L.S.E. for me now.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

i like some of the extended guitar solo some cool licks added in here and there again but the overall flow is not as good in places IMO. In the original mix the way it builds up too the screeching part is so good and has a better flow even though its been edited a lot but the structure of the solo is still in place and all the best bits of that guitar solo. In the new remix they have edited the whammy bit down and it loses its power with it being edited down that is something i dont get why they done that on this release on the CN solos on DSOT, Venice and Knebworth.

The vocals are better on the 1989 mix and even Gary Wallis's backing drum parts are clearer in the mix which add to the atmosphere & power of the song the guitar tone is better too sounds more "live" in general. I would like to hear the original 1989 full set list mix.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Original audio mix for me is still my preference along with Knebworth 90 and a few others.

Maybe only because I know it so much better, but the 2nd solo still feels so right after all these years (and listens)

Also the drums in the 2019 mix feel a little too “studio” rather than “live” for my tastes

Obvs the 2019 video is a significant improvement over the original video
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

FreeFour wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm Maybe only because I know it so much better, but the 2nd solo still feels so right after all these years (and listens)
Probably why I'm a lot more comfortable with the 2019 mix, because I could never really get past disc one of the original 1988 mix. I guess I find the original mix a little too... dark? I don't know.
FreeFour wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm Obvs the 2019 video is a significant improvement over the original video
Oh gawd for sure. The slow motion effects on the original are so violently 80's it hurts.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

2019 mix. The original never did that much for me. The new one involves and excites me.