The Color of Infinity

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

The Color of Infinity

Post by OBYKA »

The Color of Infinity is a documentary by Arthur C Clarke from 1994. Interestingly, the soundtrack is by David Gilmour and contains some outtakes from the Division Bell including Calling which would be included on The Endless River.Im sure this is old knowledge but an interesting listen still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk6QU94xAb8
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Re: The Color of Infinity

Post by OBYKA »

The track at about 5:20. Wow! Why is that not TER. Makes me think they still have some stuff out there.
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Post by Es Vedra »

There is still more stuff. The La Carrera PanAmericana soundtrack has not been released.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Im referring to unreleased material. ie Peace Be With You
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The track at 14:30 is a highlight too, and it's not even on the Secret Rarities bootleg. Sounds a lot like a follow up to Shine On, just like "It's What We Do", but is not that track at all. Has a lot of Rick in it too, even more so than anything on TER!

Well, assuming that's Rick playing the keys there.

I think you could even eliminate the voice over in that track with an out of phase stereo reduction. I would like to give it a try but I don't have a decent file to work with.
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Post by Es Vedra »

The DVD has a special feature that is just the music.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Do you have the DVD? If its true ..must have now!
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Post by Es Vedra »

I have.. The feature is called 'Infinit' and includes the tracks mentioned above. In total it is 16.39 long.
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

Es Vedra wrote:I have.. The feature is called 'Infinit' and includes the tracks mentioned above. In total it is 16.39 long.
Excellent info! thanks a lot Es Vedra!!!

I have just read a review of the DVD and it does confirm your generous statement: "An interesting confection - a collection of three videos on fractals, plus a fourth bonus video Infinit that combines the music of David Gilmour (used to good effect particularly on the Colours of Infinity video) with fractal images." (Emphasis by me.) http://www.popularscience.co.uk/software/rev22.htm

My DVD is on its way (I had ordered one from Amazon.co.uk before but apparently got lost in the mail). I am very excited - in my mind, "The Endless River - Part 2" is taking its shape :)
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Thanks for the link omeaeol but I am concerned that the Euro format may not be compatible with US DVD players. That would be a nice part 2 to The Endless River though...agreed.
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

OBYKA wrote:Thanks for the link omeaeol but I am concerned that the Euro format may not be compatible with US DVD players.
With the aid of your computer, you could convert DVD to .mkv file with MakeMKV than extract audio [.wav] from the desired video with MKVExtract. Then you may put the music on a CD with a software such as ImgBurn (all mentioned programs are free to use).
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Im curious to hear how the Infinite sounds. Is there truly Gilmour Floyd music with no narration over it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There certainly are some trippy images and mad ideas in that documentary. 8)

Have a listen to these fractals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclIzvFnuZM
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

OBYKA wrote:Im curious to hear how the Infinite sounds. Is there truly Gilmour Floyd music with no narration over it?
Except a couple of spoken lines, there is no narration over the video [Infinite]. The music is not exactly the same as the one on the main feature [Colours of Infinity]; there are songs which are on Infinite but not on Colours (and vice versa). The audio is stereo on Infinite (but mono on Colours).

Fortunately, the SOYCD-like, hauntingly beautiful blues piece [noted by danielcaux above] runs a good 4 minutes on Infinite. I would be greatly surprised too, if the synthesizers [similar to the ones used in SOYCD Part 1 - e.g, the "trumpet" mini-Moog] were not played by the late great Richard Wright - especially the solos. On guitars, David Gilmour is excellent as always - the rest sounds to be programmings [drums, percussion, even the bass]. This music is indeed as much Pink Floyd/Gilmour as e.g., "It's What We Do" (my favourite piece) on TER.

The rest of Infinite's audio is mostly filler - good music, but they can not really stand on their own. Unfortunately, the High Hopes-like piece heard on Colours (and released as a TDB outtake on bootleg CDs) is missing on Infinite. But the above cited bluesy piece alone justifies to get the DVD. (I have listened to it dozens of times already.)
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Looks lke this may be on The Tree of Secrets vol. 7 bootleg along with "Ruby Takes a Ride" which is also interesting as a pre TDB piece.