Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

Post by crofloyd »

It is being rumoured for a day and a half now, even Amazon had it but took it down...

So far I know two details: 15 cds and November 11th as release date.

Keith, you must have known something about this, come on! :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

Post by snifferdog »

15 CDs of what? I hope it's not yet another re-release of the existing albums?
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

If it dates back to 1965, it better have some of those juicy early Barrett demos on it. I can't see any other reason why it would stretch back that far. And if there's 15 disks in the set, maybe we will see an official The Man and The Journey after all? Or is that wishful thinking? [-o<
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

snifferdog wrote:15 CDs of what? I hope it's not yet another re-release of the existing albums?
1965-1972 rather than re-release of their albums again, surely? If true, I didn't see the page myself, but read about it on another forum and almost posted about it myself, but was worried it might spoil something the forum and the band had set up! :lol: that could ever happen!
I hope they do a highlights CD, but for projects like the kind to release Pink Floyd unreleased material spanning those years.
But nothing seems to be official and this post is speculation!
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Phantom Turnip wrote:.. maybe we will see an official The Man and The Journey after all? Or is that wishful thinking? [-o<
\:D/
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

<ii>
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

That was found hidden in HTML code on the offical pink floyd website an announcement is imminent regarding this release.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

twcc wrote:Image

<ii>
[-D-]
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Hopefully this set sheds some light on late 1967-1968 - a particularly hazy part of the Pink Floyd story.

There's so much rumour & conjecture about what material exists from that era when Syd went off the rails, then the others tried piecing together their future without him.

Saucerful of Secrets is an under-rated follow-up to 'Piper..' as it is, before we factor in the stuff recorded around those sessions that didn't make the album's cut - Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man, The Committee soundtrack (recorded around the same time), non-album singles, and scraps like Beechwoods etc that are iffy quality or severely edited on the circulating bootlegs (or both).
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Awesome, just in time for my birthday!

Also, I hope this leads to more sets of goodies and rarities.

Maybe 1973-83 and then 1987-94?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Steve Hoffman Music Forums - Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 72.570280/
Contains more information/speculation.

15 discs?
700 dollars?
Pink Floyd management extremely upset because of the leaked picture?

Still, no information about any contents.

Member GroovingPict tried to identify what's on the picture:
- Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Apples & Oranges, It Would Be So Nice, Point Me At The Sky (the two latter originally released without picture sleeve in the UK, which is why they are showed with a Columbia company sleeve here as well).
- The poster which was recently posted on Pink Floyd's facebook page. And the The Man & Journey 1969 tour programme, but it looks like a miniature version, so it's possible it's just a postcard sized photo of its front cover.
- The Rainbow Theatre programme from February 1972, but again in miniature it would seem, as well as the 1972 "Eclipse - A Piece For Assorted Lunatics" programme which was used for the first US tour in 1972 (for those not in the know: they performed their new set in 1972 first as "Dark Side Of The Moon", then when they travelled to the US for the first time in 1972 they changed the title to "Eclipse", a title they kept when they returned for more European dates, but then changed it back to Dark Side Of The Moon when they visited the US for the second time in 1972).
- There seem to be a couple more programmes there, as well as another poster.
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14737867

Member rarepinkfloyd posted a recent quote of Nick Mason who gives some clues on future releases:
« I’m heading out of the country for a meeting with our manager about what we are doing with Pink floyd history. As a result of the Univesal purchasing EMI ans the monopolies commission requiring them to sell off some of the EMI catalog. The Pink Floyd catalogue was sold to Warner Brothers. So we have begun thinking about what we are going to do with Warner Brothers in terms of the back catalogue.
We’re also been archiving most of the existing video and film stuff with Lana Topham who was the assistant producer with Storm Thorgerson. Lana has more of less archived all of the film and video and now we are working on ting to archive photographs. It’s something that the Beatles did very well with Apple and are still doing.
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd signing with EMI, so we intend to mark that with something big. We’re also begun work on something documenting the early years of the band; so for those and any similar projects, it’s invaluable to actually know what we’ve got and what is available. The interesting thing is that you don’t have to own it all, you just have to know where it is and if it’s available. Whatever we do next, particularly if it’s historical, it will hopefully include some of that material »
« Interview with Nick Mason », iDrum Magazine, June 2016.
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14740557

Member rontoon wrote he has some more information, that can't be revealed just yet:
But you all won't have to wait too long for the details!
Souce: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14740735

Member rontoon about the Pink Floyd website:
This may explain the stripe background graphic on their website. This image is leaning up against the box in the promo photo.

Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14741292

My main questions:
- What are the "new" contents?
- What about the mastering? (As far as I know, the CD remasters of 2011 shamefully go into red.)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Looks very interesting, I have asked their manager. I shall let y'all know if anything comes back. 8)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think we should find out more tomorrow. :D :D 8)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Some more information from Steve Hoffman Music Forums.

Rontoon, yesterday:
In the eyes of the powers that be it's a HUGE leak. Anything other than an official announcement is a leak and spoiled their entire teaser roll out. And they're pissed off about it.
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14741387

Rontoon, today:
I can now tell you that the official announcement is forthcoming and we'll all know the details BEFORE THE END OF THIS WEEK!!!
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-14745409
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Info is out prepare to have you mind blown http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/the-early-yea ... -1965-1972
THE EARLY YEARS BOX SET: 1965-1972
11+ hours Audio (130+ tracks) & 14+ hours Audio-visual material including:

• Comprehensive 27-disc box set, 7 individual book style volumes 

• 20+ songs previously unreleased, 7+ hours of previously unreleased live audio performances, 5+ hours of 
rare concert footage, along with 5 7” singles in replica sleeves, collectable memorabilia, feature films & 
new sound mixes 

• BBC Radio Sessions, remixes, outtakes, & alternative versions over 11 hours of audio (made up of 130+ 
tracks) as well as live TV performance in over 14 hours audio visual 

• Previously unreleased tracks include 1967’s Vegetable Man and In The Beechwoods, which have been 
mixed for the first time specially for this release 

• 2 historic Quad mixes (1 unreleased), plus new 5.1 mixes of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds albums 

• Plus Pink Floyd’s early vinyl singles - the first 5 UK releases, (1967-68) remastered from original tapes, 
original sleeves / heavyweight vinyl / paper labels replicated