Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

twcc wrote:It's arrived

Staggeringly good, beautifully presented ... plus a bonus disk; this is a replacement CD containing the Obscured by Clouds 2016 remix for OBFUSC/ATION as the box contains the stereo 2016 mix of 'Live at Pompeii' supplied in error

<ii>
[-D-]
I'm hoping to get the 2CD today, and I also quoted to say there are seriously some people on Amazon would rate the box 1 star because of that! ](*,) :lol:
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Point taken, however, look on the positive side ... the packers accidentally including "the Pompeii 2016 mix" in one of the books, someone spotted the error before shipping and rather than break open the seals they added the missing CD (Obscured by Clouds) for the owner to put in the correct slot, but the punter gets to keep the new mix of Pompeii on CD.

I guess batch 2 boxes will get the correct discs in all books so punters will miss out on the Pompeii mix.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

On top of my belief that "Paintbox" should been the third single, I now think the development of the track "Nothing part 14" should of been used instead of "Echoes".
I would like to post a spoiler review, but will wait for more to get "Cre/ation" and see for themselves.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:On top of my belief that "Paintbox" should been the third single, I now think the development of the track "Nothing part 14" should of been used instead of "Echoes".
I would like to post a spoiler review, but will wait for more to get "Cre/ation" and see for themselves.
Hopefully there's a Meddle "Immersion" set one day (or at very least a deluxe edition), which includes more parts of Nothing as bonus tracks. Hey, well dreams are free.... :)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Meddle 5.1 is hidden away in the Blu Ray's if you rip audio off the blu ray
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

the john latham stuff is fuckin' great. sounds like an extended version of the more abstract bits in the middle of "interstellar overdrive." pretty mellow but not easy listening; only really gets a bit heavy near the end in part 9. i'll take it over any of their post-barrett exploratory instrumental wanderings. some part(s) will fit wonderfully on our alternate saucerful sequences.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Is the Pompeii disk supplied in error an audio CD?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

MoreOrLess wrote:Is the Pompeii disk supplied in error an audio CD?
Yes, it's a standard CD in stereo ... I like it a lot
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

I was a bit "Wot? No Mudmen?" listening to it. But then "Looking At Map" is basically that tune but slowed down with added synths.

And well done the Amazon reviewer who gave "1967-1972" a low score because it didn't have"Wish You Were Here" or "Comfortably Numb" on it.
What that one of yours? Great joke! :lol:
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

twcc wrote:
MoreOrLess wrote:Is the Pompeii disk supplied in error an audio CD?
Yes, it's a standard CD in stereo ... I like it a lot
Managed to find the box relatively cheap(£365) today and I'm listening to the "bonus" disk right now, obviously not 5.1 like the BR version but it does sound very good indeed.

Interesting thing is that it has two versions of Careful With That Axe on it, the regular film version at the start then another slightly shorter one at the end that sounds like a different performance to me, maybe another take that wasn't used? the version of Saucerful on the CD is 12 mins long as well not 10 like the DVD/BR listing.

Hopefully if they correct latter printings they'll throw in this CD as a bonus, it fits perfectly ok with the wallet as well since the plastic trays are deep enough for 2 CDs.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Listening to the John Latham tracks for the first time, its basically a mamoth 30 min improvisation along the lines of the middle of Interstellar Overdrive with track sub divisions. If you like that kind of thing its really very good indeed(I'd venture to say the best I'v ever heard from Floyd) and I think the Barrett days were actually the best period for more total freeform improv, I suspect this might come to be viewed as the most important thing in the boxset.
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

MoreOrLess wrote:Listening to the John Latham tracks for the first time, its basically a mamoth 30 min improvisation along the lines of the middle of Interstellar Overdrive with track sub divisions. If you like that kind of thing its really very good indeed(I'd venture to say the best I'v ever heard from Floyd) and I think the Barrett days were actually the best period for more total freeform improv, I suspect this might come to be viewed as the most important thing in the boxset.
100% agreed!
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

As much as I love the boxset for my own use I do kind of think that stuff like John Latham, the unrealised Barrett songs and the Man/Journey show might have been better off released in smaller/cheaper single cd packacges. That material is I think a level up in terms of importance to the rest of it and even a more affordable release could likely have made a bigger impact as even the sub boxes are not I'd guess going to be cheap, more in the £40-60 range.

One thing that really stands out about the overall package for me is that those behind it seem to have draw a lot of influence from higher end Japanese bootleg labels, Floyd themselves have never tended to be a strong focus for such releases but bands like Led Zeppelin very much have and the packages offered are quite similar. The little pouch with repro's and posters from each year's sub package for example is classic luxury bootleg and the abandoned idea to package it all in a model of the Bedford van is as well going back to the likes of Tarantura.

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-So ... se/6831117

I think the above moving away from the bands classic hypnosis style was very much the correct choice for this release given its naturally less polished nature.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I wish they'd release a sequence of "best of" versions on vinyl. (My CD player broke years back and I never replaced it and I have no PC at home - so it's not for hipster reasons!)

Kind of surprised the 2 CD set being released wasn't considered for vinyl given the rise in popularity. Perhaps the recent vinyl re-issues of the studio albums has taken precedence.......
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

listening OBC and Live at Pompei gave me headache - one of the worst masterings I've heard, the ears hurt...