Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Which One Is Which
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

Post by Which One Is Which »

For the price of this boxset that was mentioned earlier,the currency conversion is 378.38 GBP=662.543 AUD.

JB HI-FI in Australia are charging a whopping $850!!

Nearly $200 over the British equivalent.I can imagine the shipping from the U.K. being about AU$50 and making $50 profit on each unit.But this is an outright price gouge.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Classic Australia tax!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

In the UK www.spincds.com are now listing at £359.99 ... regarding the Amazon pricing the price quoted for pre-orders is the maximum they will charge, quite often the final price (given we are just over 100-days away from release) does alter a little and if it comes down then the lower value is what you get charged.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Damn that is an expensive set.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Alternative 4 wrote:Damn that is an expensive set.
Which luckily we are able to buy as individual CDs if we allow ourselves the luxury of waiting until next year!
Taps foot*
Scratches chest*
I'm treating this year as the release of the 2CD and nothing more.
Taps foot and loses rhythm* [-o<
metanoia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by metanoia »

It works out at £14 per disc, so with all the other stuff too it's not really that expensive when you look at it that way. That's my justification for ordering it anyway :lol:
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I am stunned by this release, I am not someone who has heard much of the bootlegs, so a lot of this will be new for me, for me all my dreams have come true, not sure I can afford the box set though, so I will be happy with the 2 CD release, then buy them individually next year. And I wonder if we will get another box set late next year too of mid era Pink Floyd :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

qjamesfloyd wrote:I am stunned by this release, I am not someone who has heard much of the bootlegs, so a lot of this will be new for me, for me all my dreams have come true, not sure I can afford the box set though, so I will be happy with the 2 CD release, then buy them individually next year. And I wonder if we will get another box set late next year too of mid era Pink Floyd :D
My guess is these releases show the "apprenticeship" of the band as they strived to make DSOTM and although there's probably more stuff, I can't see it getting the same treatment as this round.
From the six things available next year, my preferences are now Cambridge St/ation, Dramatis/ation, Devi/ation, Obfusc/ation, Germination and Reverberation. (My Tablet kept auto correcting to spell the words as they are on the discs!)

And I too was never as big for bootlegs myself. But when I saw the picture quality in their YouTube...

I'm not setting a time limit of getting those discs, but that's the order just from looking at the list. Plus the added expense of magazine appearances and radio interviews we'll get.
You can't trust the media to report Showbiz stories properly, let alone the truth.
Sky News reported the box and then reported fans were unhappy at the price! Conveniently ignoring the plan to release separately printed right before the list!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Sky News reported the box and then reported fans were unhappy at the price! Conveniently ignoring the plan to release separately printed right before the list!
Hey! You and others are conveniently ignoring that the box set has exclusive contents! [-X
Barrett fans will have to buy the whole box, because the exclusive contents are mainly Barrett recordings! [-X

So, yes, a lot of (Barrett) fans have a very good reason to be very unhappy at the price. :cry:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Wolfpack wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Sky News reported the box and then reported fans were unhappy at the price! Conveniently ignoring the plan to release separately printed right before the list!
Hey! You and others are conveniently ignoring that the box set has exclusive contents! [-X
Barrett fans will have to buy the whole box, because the exclusive contents are mainly Barrett recordings! [-X

So, yes, a lot of (Barrett) fans have a very good reason to be very unhappy at the price. :cry:
That's an understandable decision and one I hadn't noticed. In that case, I hope the exclusive content gets put on their YouTube channel.

It goes without saying we're entering every shitty Radio/TV/Web game to win a copy despite going on about next year!
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

If I had the money available I would buy the box set, but I am happy with the individual releases.

There may not be as big a release with another box set, so they may just do a 1973 - 2014 box set, that way they could through in a lot more. But what is about to be released is more than I thought they would release.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

One really good question is whether the box set will have a digital version to purchase (on iTunes, for example) or even simply stream. So far the 2CD selection from the box set showed up on iTunes as a purchase pre-order.

If a digital version of the whole box set shows up, it might easily be 50% of the physical price (or even less than that).
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

well i know what i want for the holidays!!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

We are having quite an interesting November for the third year in a row. :D

First it was The Endless River on November 7, 2014, then came 1965: Their First Recordings on November 27, 2015 and now we are getting The Early Years 1965–1972 box set on November 11, 2016.

Almost no one succeeded in getting that double single late last year, and very few will be able to afford the box set late this year, but hey, we are getting new stuff every year now... :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hadrian wrote:We are having quite an interesting November for the third year in a row. :D

First it was The Endless River on November 7, 2014, then came 1965: Their First Recordings on November 27, 2015 and now we are getting The Early Years 1965–1972 box set on November 11, 2016.

Almost no one succeeded in getting that double single late last year, and very few will be able to afford the box set late this year, but hey, we are getting new stuff every year now... :D
Well there's the compilation "Cre/Ation" this year which will butter the pill until 2017. I hope The Endless River jumps back into the charts on the back of this! But that's really for another thread...