Pink Floyd art exhibition, London

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd art exhibition, London

Post by twcc »

^^^
Visited the new Revolution exhibition yesterday. Very good albeit perhaps a bit too much in the way of festivals and maybe a bit weak and incomplete on The Beatles ... that said it was well worth a visit and the 320-page catalogue is great. I loved the use of album sleeves (apparently from the John Peel collection) as a backdrop and it got me thinking maybe I should frame a few more and use them as art rather than shelf fillers [12-inch sleeves are so much more versatile than CD's].

The use of audio to accompany the exhibits is clever, the short extracts and teasers from iconic films are well paced, the number of books referenced is good ... trouble is the wants list from abe and amazon grows every time I venture to such an event. Some of the costumes looked lame, especially with the silly revolving image 'disc' heads, some are given too much prominence and I'm sure there are better, more interesting and more revolutionary ones available; the nod to Apple, the computers not the label, seemed out of place as did the use of a space suit from Apollo 8 in a mixed jumble of space suit, rock, artwork and video.

I will now read the catalogue, to be accurate mainly look at the pictures, and may visit again before the run ends.

Really looking forward to the Pink Floyd exhibition next year as based on what they've previously done with 'Bowie' and now with 'Revolution' the 'Mortal Remains' should be good.

<ii>
Xyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Xyd »

Can't wait, it's this weekend! David Bowie exhibition was brilliant so I'm expecting this to be as good.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of this - I want to get to it 8)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Are you going there?
Take lots of pictures and a pen and paper, please spoil everything about the exhibition in your post!
Warn other users of the spoil of course.

For the benefit of the forum could you please document every single exhibit please!
For all the ones who go, there will always be the ones who can't or could never make it.
Think of the poorest fan in the southern hemisphere.
Or post a link to their official catalogue. If nothing like that comes then make that post.

Have a great time everyone who is going, and if you pay to get in once can you go again? Or is it if you leave a section of the building the tour is over, but you can still go back on yourself to the earliest part of the exhibition?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Agreed! We made the transatlantic trek to london twice for Gilmour shows already! Can't make it just for the exhibition
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I could be wrong, but with everything I've read and seen about this over the last six months, I haven't seen any sign of David. It kind of gives the impression he's having nothing to do with it. Even at the press gathering a few weeks ago it was Nick and Roger.
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

Going in August.

There was a bit about it on the One Show on​ BBC1 this evening, along with a feature about the Battersea Power Station pig thing in 1976 when it broke loose.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... ew-v-and-a
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

twcc wrote:I've booked for 12:00 noon on Sat 13 May 2017 ... :)
I'll be at the opening day at the V&A in London in 12-hours (ish) ... really looking forward to the exhibition after the disappointment of getting tickets for the opening day of the "failed" attempt in Milan.
<ii>
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I went today and it was brilliant !

No spoilers from me, but suffice to say a great exhibition, highly recommend.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Ditto, I also went today, fantastic and now thinking about a re-visit ... :-;
Xyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Xyd »

I went yesterday, was great... Found it quite emotional - specially the bits about Syd. Definitely recommending it to all Floyd fans!!!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Word?

So Gilmour went and checked it out. That's endorsing it isn't it? Still would've been nice to see them all 3 (and maybe Bob Klose) show up for opening or the initial press.
Ps there's no way he hadn't endorsed it anyway because every band member contributed items
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Are there any additional visuals of the five man Pink Floyd (both Barrett and Gilmour in the band) at the exhibition?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

:smt023
Xyd wrote:I went yesterday, was great... Found it quite emotional
Funny you should say that.
My other half arranged tickets for my birthday yesterday. A total surprise although I had hoped my hunch about the 'surprise' on where we were heading was true.
We took 5 hours to walk the 300 metres or so from the start to the finish and at certain times along the way, I did indeed feel quite emotional. There were certain exhibits or pieces of writing that really connected with me. Reading the tour dates on the wall and thinking 'I saw that show'. The fascination on seeing certain guitars but this time they are there right before your very eyes.
In some loosely connected way, you felt part of the history.
The exhibition is indeed a journey through time that one can feel totally immersed within especially the very last room. I could have sat there for hours listening.

Very highly recommended.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

moodyblue wrote:...
We took 5 hours to walk the 300 metres or so from the start to the finish and at certain times along the way, I did indeed feel quite emotional. There were certain exhibits or pieces of writing that really connected with me. Reading the tour dates on the wall and thinking 'I saw that show'. The fascination on seeing certain guitars but this time they are there right before your very eyes.
In some loosely connected way, you felt part of the history.
The exhibition is indeed a journey through time that one can feel totally immersed within especially the very last room. I could have sat there for hours listening.

Very highly recommended.
Agreed, very emotional and regarding the last room, I agree the AMBIO surround sound, with apparently 17 channels of sound and 25 speakers is incredible.

I've booked a revisit, plus I'm going to the Gerald Scarfe talk ... <ii>