Pink Floyd art exhibition, London

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd art exhibition, London

Post by drafsack »

Went today with the current Mrs Drafsack on our 25th wedding anniversary. Spent nearly 6 hours in the exhibition and it was very good. I wish there was more about the live shows and an opportunity to see some more of the graphics/videos used during those shows - but I know space was limited and a lot of the stuff they collected had to be left out. I also spent a fortune in the merchandise shop with some eye watering prices and wasn't tempted with a scarf that cost £110.

If you do go book an early slot with last entry at 4.00 pm and kick out at 5.30 pm on week days. The exhibition is also going on a five year world tour when it finishes in october
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've a ticket booked for August. A morning slot - thanks for the advice.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

drafsack wrote:Went today with the current Mrs Drafsack on our 25th wedding anniversary. Spent nearly 6 hours in the exhibition and it was very good. I wish there was more about the live shows and an opportunity to see some more of the graphics/videos used during those shows - but I know space was limited and a lot of the stuff they collected had to be left out. I also spent a fortune in the merchandise shop with some eye watering prices and wasn't tempted with a scarf that cost £110.

If you do go book an early slot with last entry at 4.00 pm and kick out at 5.30 pm on week days. The exhibition is also going on a five year world tour when it finishes in october
The CN room is epic that sound :D :D 8)

I agree regarding the tours nice to see the video of Mark Fisher discussing the 87-89 stage effects the flying droids clip in the AMLOR room.
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

Grateful for the info on this, especially the fact that it can take quite a long time - up to 5 hours - to see the whole thing. I've booked a flight from Glasgow on 8th September, arriving at London City airport around 08:50 am and an 11:00 am slot for the exhibition. Hopefully, BA will not mess up and I should have plenty time to enjoy the exhibition before heading back to te airport for the 21:00 pm flight back home.
I've already bought the book (with the 3D image) and will no doubt spend on some merchandise while I'm there. Anyone have any idea on the policy of taking photos at the exhibition?
Cheers
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Bluenose wrote:... Anyone have any idea on the policy of taking photos at the exhibition?
There appears to be no problem with non-flash photographs, I did see a guard speak to a guy when a flash went off but otherwsie there was no issue. I suggest you leave the tripod at home as it is busy in there.

:)
Emily Blunt
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Emily Blunt »

I'm truly anticipating this show. In the event that the V&A are included then it is going be to awesome.
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

twcc wrote:
Bluenose wrote:... Anyone have any idea on the policy of taking photos at the exhibition?
There appears to be no problem with non-flash photographs, I did see a guard speak to a guy when a flash went off but otherwsie there was no issue. I suggest you leave the tripod at home as it is busy in there.

:)

Much obliged. Just planning on a few personal snaps on my phone. :smt023
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

I decided to buy the book which accompanies the exhibition and went for the version with the lenticular 3D image on the cover. Got it from Amazon much cheaper than buying at the exhibition. A great read and loads of detail. However, I'm wondering if my copy is misprinted. When it arrived, first thing I looked at was the 3D image and then had a flick through the pages - and the first page was upside down and it was the LAST page. A closer examination showed that that it's actually the 3D image that is on the BACK of the book and is upside down. The image is in a 'recessed' frame on the back, with the front cover being totally plain. Anyone got this book who can shed any light if my copy is meant to be like that?
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Maybe it's somebodies idea of Wearing The Inside Out.
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

vizor wrote:Maybe it's somebodies idea of Wearing The Inside Out.
[-D-] very good! :lol:
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

Visited yesterday. Had read beforehand the lack of prominence given to The Final Cut, but was staggered to find just how little it is. Blink and you'll miss it. Even the shop has no Final Cut items apart from the vinyl album and a badge. Pathetic.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

There's even less for the film soundtracks! And surprisingly little for Wish You Were Here, even though it came about post-DSOTM.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

For info, slight date extension agreed with the V&A ... 15 Oct :-)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I saw that on Facebook. I'm pleased to see that. It's well worth a look for anyone who hasn't gone. The only annoyance is that it can be a bit crowded at times and getting near the displays can be a struggle.

I made the trip over from Ireland to visit this and it was well worth the journey. It was great to finally see for real many of the items I'd read about and seen photos of. I don't know how much non Pink Floyd fans would've enjoyed it but for those of us who love the band, it was a little piece of Floydian heaven. As an aside, I had the pleasure of being joined on my visit by occasional NPF-er Simple Dumb Pilot 8) He could/should hire himself out as a tour guide!

Does anybody know where it's going next?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

snifferdog wrote:...
Does anybody know where it's going next?
The exhibition has travelled to Rome (Italy).

I visited a few days ago and got back yesterday; the exhibition is just as awesome. There is quite an overlap with that staged in London but there are new items, including Italian show information, plus the layout is a little more relaxed and the crowds are a lot less than London. The video displays and interviews are the same (just with Italian sub-titles) and there are more, I think, drawings. The 'performance zone' has Arnold Layne, Comfortably Numb (live8) and stills on a loop and is in a slightly smaller room than London; minor criticism is that maybe the room size does not have quite the same impact as the sound is not so immersive. Whilst I remember, the Alice in Wonderland loop is still 'silent' (I assume copyright issues).

The shop is, to my mind, poorly stocked as I have all the CDs and vinyl variations I need. The T shirts and jackets are nice enough but limited sizes are available, postcards are same as London with a few extras, more expensive scarfs (new designs) are available and there are a few gimmick items ... posters are on display but the only one for sale is of the London event !!

Overall well worth the visit; no one at Rome could tell me where it next visits.