So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ron2112
Embryo
Embryo

So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

Post by Ron2112 »

Thread title kind of speaks for itself. Let's use the one ground rule that they wouldn't repackage anything that already showed up in the "Immersion" sets. What else is still sitting in the vaults that we know about?

-- DSOTM-TFC Album demos (probably)

-- Live recordings from '73-'81? Nick has said that they didn't record many (if any) of the '70s tours. So is there definitely a '77 tour recording sitting in the vault? (I should add that Nick's comments apply to multi-track recordings. I've seen the rumors that every single "Animals" show was recorded with a Nagra (2-channel board feed?), which could actually make for some very nice releases. But I digress).

-- Video material? Nick's book mentions a '74 tour show being professionally filmed and there are rumors of a B/W single camera tripod-shot April '75 film with soundboard audio. And of course, there's "The Wall" pro-shot stuff.

Kinda seems like there's just not that much left after the "Early Years" box comes out. Hope you folks will demonstrate that I'm wrong about that.....
Last edited by Ron2112 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I was part of a film crew over the weekend filming a tribute to both The Wall and Pink Floyd. And while the second version of "In The Flesh" played, it made me think what the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off? So whatever's left of the mid 70's footage would be interesting!
I've seen the odd transcript of Roger raging at people in yellow shirts walking back and forth in front of the stage. And if course the fire crackers!
I feel such a set won't be out for a few years. But it would mainly be of interest to hear them "deteriorate" post Dark Side...
Would the gig Nick Kent wrote a bad review of be included?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

This comes after 1983, but there is half an album's worth of original unreleased studio material recorded for La Carrera Panamericana in November 1991. They should've included this in the 2014 special edition of The Division Bell - although it is not directly related to that album, it is from that general era, and it would've been a great bonus for that release (all done without robbing The Endless River in any way).

1. Country Theme (Gilmour) - 2:01
2. Small Theme (Gilmour) - 7:23
3. Big Theme (Gilmour) - 4:10
4. Carrera Slow Blues (Gilmour/Wright/Mason) - 2:20
5. Mexico '78 (Gilmour) - 4:05
6. Pan Am Shuffle (Gilmour/Wright/Mason) - 8:09
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I was part of a film crew over the weekend filming a tribute to both The Wall and Pink Floyd. And while the second version of "In The Flesh" played, it made me think what the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off? So whatever's left of the mid 70's footage would be interesting!
I've seen the odd transcript of Roger raging at people in yellow shirts walking back and forth in front of the stage. And if course the fire crackers!
I feel such a set won't be out for a few years. But it would mainly be of interest to hear them "deteriorate" post Dark Side...
Totally off topic Jimi but you have touched on a potentially golden thread there - 'What the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off'. I think that would run for years :lol: :lol:
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

They could include the film of The Final Cut.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

I would guess the difference is partly down to the market for the different eras with the earlier days naturally having more of a hardcore fan appeal but also I think you have the issue that theres a less direct connection between the studio and the live material. The earlier material I think just makes more sense tracking the evolution of the live band that it would as bonus material for re releases of albums from that era.

The obvious hole at the moment does seem to be the In the Flesh tour and it could be as the OP says no professional recordings exist for it. Its perhaps unlikely but if there was a decent SB of it I think the Montreal show would make for a very interesting release by itself(heck maybe even the audience recording). There are a lot of shows that have some wider significance for acts that you really do not get a sense of it from the performance but I think you very clearly do from that event. Waters angry interactions with the crowd incorporating it into his "Sheppard" act during Pigs, changing the lyrics to Shine On Part 7 and generally the brutal soloing from Gilmour and White.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Bigmanpigman wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I was part of a film crew over the weekend filming a tribute to both The Wall and Pink Floyd. And while the second version of "In The Flesh" played, it made me think what the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off? So whatever's left of the mid 70's footage would be interesting!
Totally off topic Jimi but you have touched on a potentially golden thread there - 'What the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off'. I think that would run for years :lol: :lol:
It sounds great, but I think there's a lot of projection from the band onto Roger. True, fireworks pissed him off, but then there's David Gilmour in a recent documentary (Dark Side... Classic Albums one?) going "What the fuck do you know?" when people tell him a bad gig (In their eyes) was a great set. No idea if he actually said that to someone or kept it internal. But it's easier to blame it on the big, bad Roger! :lol:
Ron2112
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Ron2112 »

MoreOrLess wrote:I would guess the difference is partly down to the market for the different eras with the earlier days naturally having more of a hardcore fan appeal but also I think you have the issue that theres a less direct connection between the studio and the live material. The earlier material I think just makes more sense tracking the evolution of the live band that it would as bonus material for re releases of albums from that era.

The obvious hole at the moment does seem to be the In the Flesh tour and it could be as the OP says no professional recordings exist for it. Its perhaps unlikely but if there was a decent SB of it I think the Montreal show would make for a very interesting release by itself(heck maybe even the audience recording). There are a lot of shows that have some wider significance for acts that you really do not get a sense of it from the performance but I think you very clearly do from that event. Waters angry interactions with the crowd incorporating it into his "Sheppard" act during Pigs, changing the lyrics to Shine On Part 7 and generally the brutal soloing from Gilmour and White.
To be precise, I said no official multi-tracks are known to exist. Rumor is that the band made stereo (2-channel) recordings directly off the soundboard of every In The Flesh tour show. Plenty of material to work with, but would the band release these is the big question...
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Studio stuff off the top of my head:

- Bitter Love
- Happy Xmas Song
- Pigs on the Wings 8-track
- In the Flesh? w/Bob Geldof
- Mother (soundtrack version)
- Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now (soundtrack version)
- Bring the Boys Back Home (soundtrack version)
- Outside the Wall (soundtrack version)
- The Hero's Return (single version)
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

1974 - Household Objects recording?

It would be fun to hear all of Pink Floyd's experiments with a rubber bands, wine glasses, blenders and other nonmusical objects. 8)
Ron2112
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Ron2112 »

jtull wrote:1974 - Household Objects recording?

It would be fun to hear all of Pink Floyd's experiments with a rubber bands, wine glasses, blenders and other nonmusical objects. 8)

Already in the WYWH Immersion set.........
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Ron2112 wrote:
jtull wrote:1974 - Household Objects recording?

Already in the WYWH Immersion set.........
Yes, The Hard Way and Wine Glasses.
But, recording sheets of the Household Objects reveal a collection of takes that include:

Papa Was A Rolling Floyd
Carrot Crunching
Nozee
The Hard Way
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

mastaflatch wrote: - Pigs on the Wings 8-track
This one was properly released on CD back in 1995, on Snowy White's compilation album Goldtop: Groups & Sessions '74–'94 (see track 5)
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Hadrian wrote:
mastaflatch wrote: - Pigs on the Wings 8-track
This one was properly released on CD back in 1995, on Snowy White's compilation album Goldtop: Groups & Sessions '74–'94 (see track 5)
Alright, but it should be on a PF anthology too because it's a PF song.

By the way, this comp looks pretty good even for a non-Snowy-White-fan.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:- In the Flesh? w/Bob Geldof
- Mother (soundtrack version)
- Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now (soundtrack version)
- Bring the Boys Back Home (soundtrack version)
- Outside the Wall (soundtrack version)
Actually, quite a few songs from 'The Wall' are different in the film, so we could have a proper soundtrack this time around.