So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

Post by Wolfpack »

Hadrian wrote:['Pigs on the Wings 8-track'] This one was properly released on CD back in 1995, on Snowy White's compilation album Goldtop: Groups & Sessions '74–'94 (see track 5)
Isn't that 'Pigs on the Wings 8-track' version a remix?
I seem to remember reading something like that.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Wolfpack wrote:Isn't that 'Pigs on the Wings 8-track' version a remix?
I seem to remember reading something like that.
On the Goldtop cd 'Pigs On the Wing (complete version previously unissued)' reads 'Including the ultra rare complete take of Pigs on the wing, specially remixed by Floyd's engineer for this cd'
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Hudini wrote: quite a few songs from 'The Wall' are different in the film, so we could have a proper soundtrack this time around.
I expected these versions to be included in The Wall Immersion box set (alongside the DVD/Blu-ray of the film), and I was quite surprised with the exclusion.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Ron2112 wrote:
MoreOrLess wrote:I would guess the difference is partly down to the market for the different eras with the earlier days naturally having more of a hardcore fan appeal but also I think you have the issue that theres a less direct connection between the studio and the live material. The earlier material I think just makes more sense tracking the evolution of the live band that it would as bonus material for re releases of albums from that era.

The obvious hole at the moment does seem to be the In the Flesh tour and it could be as the OP says no professional recordings exist for it. Its perhaps unlikely but if there was a decent SB of it I think the Montreal show would make for a very interesting release by itself(heck maybe even the audience recording). There are a lot of shows that have some wider significance for acts that you really do not get a sense of it from the performance but I think you very clearly do from that event. Waters angry interactions with the crowd incorporating it into his "Sheppard" act during Pigs, changing the lyrics to Shine On Part 7 and generally the brutal soloing from Gilmour and White.
To be precise, I said no official multi-tracks are known to exist. Rumor is that the band made stereo (2-channel) recordings directly off the soundboard of every In The Flesh tour show. Plenty of material to work with, but would the band release these is the big question...
Its very tough to predict what a 2 track SB is going to end up sounding like, some can be very dry and unbalanced and others very good indeed. That would perhaps be another reason to consider the Montreal show, rather than a technically slick release more of a document of a historic show.
Pfk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pfk »

How about the complete original Roger Waters Wall 90 min demo 'Bricks in the Wall?

Only tantalizing glimpses in the Immersion Wall set.

For total completeness, the alternative Pros & Cons demo would be a great 'what-if' counter-factual.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
Bigmanpigman wrote:
Totally off topic Jimi but you have touched on a potentially golden thread there - 'What the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off'. I think that would run for years :lol: :lol:
It sounds great, but I think there's a lot of projection from the band onto Roger. True, fireworks pissed him off, but then there's David Gilmour in a recent documentary (Dark Side... Classic Albums one?) going "What the fuck do you know?" when people tell him a bad gig (In their eyes) was a great set. No idea if he actually said that to someone or kept it internal. But it's easier to blame it on the big, bad Roger! :lol:
I'll take the bait. *shrug*

"What the hell happened to Roger to get him that pissed off?"

Easy:

1.) Success came in the form of DSOTM and wasn't quite what everyone thought it would be. Rather than ending all of their problems, it just presented new ones to replace the ones that success DID take care of.

2.) The success of DSOTM, being everything that a group works for, left them wondering "well...what shall we do now?" (I'm paraphrasing, of course.)

3.) The creation of WYWH involved a great deal of struggle (reportedly,) just to get anything down at all. The failure of the "Household Objects" project must have been a bitter pill to swallow, especially considering how comparatively easy DSOTM had come together. (Though let's not forget that the lines "Breathe, breathe in the air" and the music for "Us and Them" were leftovers from previous projects; and yes, this is my latest "middle finger salute" to anyone who still calls TFC "nothing but leftovers from The Wall.")

4.) While they were struggling to get WYWH put together, bootleggers were scooping them by putting out decent quality bootlegs of their recent performances, which fans were snapping up in the absence of a new album. This was hitting them in the pocketbook and probably a little bit in the "trust in the fans" department.

5.) "Animals" was kind of thrown together at the last minute from WYWH leftovers and recorded in their own recently converted studio, which presented loads of technical problems during the recording.

6.) The tour for Animals was the first time that the Floyd had played stadiums exclusively. This is probably the biggest "what happened to Roger," because he was, by all accounts, pretty miserable for the entire tour. He claimed that it was impossible to make a connection with an audience who seemed to just be there "for the beer," or the hipster cred that going to a Pink Floyd show gave one. Waters has called it a "dehumanizing" experience and he couldn't wait for it to be over with. The infamous "Spitting Incident" was just the first eruption of what would become The Wall.

So...that's some of what happened to Waters. Of course, there were some personal setbacks, as well. His marriage fell apart acrimoniously during (IIRC) the WYWH tour, the recording of The Wall was preceded by the news that the investment company who was supposed to be handling their money had fallen apart, misplaced large sums of cash and now the Floyd were stuck with a looming huge tax bill which would have wiped them out completely had they not opted for the "live abroad as tax exiles" path.

It's very easy for us punters to sit back and wonder why the privileged, spoiled little rock star should feel aggrieved; but without being in their shoes, what we think of their lifestyle and its attendant problems is pointless, anyway. *shrug*

Back On Topic: I don't think there's enough previously unreleased material for the boxed set in question; especially not given that three of the albums released during this period have had the Immersion treatment.

I'd LOVE to have a copy of Rogers original demos for The Wall and PACOHH...but I also know what happens when you wish in one hand and spit in the other.

Reportedly, there was a time when WYWH was to be composes solely of SOYCD, YGBC and RAD, so if there are studio versions of YGBC and RAD, it would be cool of those to get a release. I don't know that DSOTM even HAD a "demo" phase and it's my understanding that WYWH was pretty much built entirely in the studio, so there may not have been a "demo" phase there, either.

I would like to see this "Flight From Fantasy" song that Roger has lightly mentioned in places; which I suspect became "Pigs (Three Different Ones,)" in the end.

I honestly have my doubts that there will be another boxed set like this "Early Years" thing, though. I really don't think there's enough material from the post-DSOTM stage of their career to put one together for each phase like that.

Just my fifth of a dime, though. *shrug*
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

In terms of audiences you could argue that no band looking to build delicate atmosphers like the Floyd has ever had the degree of success they did in the mid 70's. Unlike say Led Zep, The Stones or The Who stadiums full of fans going crazy doesn't really fit in with the music very well.

To make matters worse as well Floyd did have a very extended period when they were decently successful from 67-73 but still audiences were mostly big fans of their kind of music and generally pretty respectful. Rather than say having a brief period building there popularity Floyd had what many others would consider an entire career as a cult band before things went crazy.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

Hadrian wrote:
mastaflatch wrote: - Pigs on the Wings 8-track
This one was properly released on CD back in 1995, on Snowy White's compilation album Goldtop: Groups & Sessions '74–'94 (see track 5)
I think the version on the 8-track tape also has David Gilmour playing rhythm acoustic guitar behind Snowy White's solo. I could be wrong, but I think that is missing from Snowy White's compilation album.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

- "Spare Bricks", the leftover bits from The Wall (or as close as we can get).

- Off The Wall: A Special Radio Reconstruction, with some extended versions as well as versions with clean intros and outros.

- Single mixes which were never released digitally, including:

• "Young Lust" with the long intro and clean outro
• "Hero's Return, Parts I & II"
• "When The Tigers Broke Free/Bring The Boys Back Home" single

Most of this is available on vinyl, but it would be nice to have a remastered digital release with James Guthrie's touch.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I want to hear the complete Comfortably Numb solo, without the fade out. Or all the unused takes of the solo.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

AtomHeartBrother wrote:- "Spare Bricks", the leftover bits from The Wall (or as close as we can get).

- Off The Wall: A Special Radio Reconstruction, with some extended versions as well as versions with clean intros and outros.

- Single mixes which were never released digitally, including:

• "Young Lust" with the long intro and clean outro
• "Hero's Return, Parts I & II"
• "When The Tigers Broke Free/Bring The Boys Back Home" single

Most of this is available on vinyl, but it would be nice to have a remastered digital release with James Guthrie's touch.
All fine points, and a shame that this was not included in the Immersion set.

Full demo tape of The Wall together with the full demo tape for The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking that Roger Waters played to the band in 1978 to choose from for the next Pink Floyd album would be the ultimate prize.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

The Venice concert.
Delicate sound of thunder film in 5.1 surround.
Painmaster
Blade
Blade

Post by Painmaster »

Money from a great collection of dance songs
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hadrian wrote:
mastaflatch wrote: - Pigs on the Wings 8-track
This one was properly released on CD back in 1995, on Snowy White's compilation album Goldtop: Groups & Sessions '74–'94 (see track 5)
Isn't that one remixed? I seem to remember reading something about that.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

jtull wrote:
Yes, The Hard Way and Wine Glasses.
But, recording sheets of the Household Objects reveal a collection of takes that include:

Papa Was A Rolling Floyd
Carrot Crunching
Nozee
The Hard Way
Those titles.. :lol: