So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Re: So what would be in a "Later Years: 1972-83" Box Set?

Post by DarkSideFreak »

mosespa wrote:(Though let's not forget that the lines "Breathe, breathe in the air" and the music for "Us and Them" were leftovers from previous projects; and yes, this is my latest "middle finger salute" to anyone who still calls TFC "nothing but leftovers from The Wall.")
I don't think people complain about TFC simply because it contains leftovers - the point was that the songs were decided upon by Bob, David and presumably Roger to be not good enough of The Wall, and as a result didn't quite have the musical strength to now become the backbone of a new album. As opposed to, say, Us and Them, which the band knew was good (even Antonioni liked it, but thought it didn't fit the movie). But I digress.

Yes, to get the stuff mentioned here would be good. And I can't imagine they would let this chance slide by; copyrights on the unreleased things is gonna run out sooner or later.
JustinVavala
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JustinVavala »

My two cents...

There are Dark Side rehearsal tapes.
Brain Damage demo from 1971
Mortality Sequence
Travel Sequence
Peter Whitehead’s Brighton Dome footage

Extraction Tapes stuff:
Demo of Have a Cigar
Demo of Welcome to the Machine
A complete SOYCD (the extraction version includes a fair amount of edited out material...while missing Dave’s first solo and the entire last section. If they could find the master tapes and release a version with the entirety of the recording we could get a 27-30 minute SOYCD)

Flight from Reality
Bitter Love/How Do You Feel?
Pawn to King 5
These have all been mentioned sparilingly over the years
Full Household Projects (Carrots, etc)

Any demos of Gotta Be Crazy or Raving and Drooling

Extraction Tapes versions of Animals songs (alternate lyrics, some different solos, Roger singing Dogs)
8track Pigs on the Wing

Live In the Flesh show (even if it’s a cleaned up audience tape like Oakland)

Roger’s demos for the Wall/Pros and Cons

I’m willing to bet they demoed more PACOHH and Final Cut material during the Wall sessions. We are always told Your Possible Pasts, One of the Few, Hero’s Return (teacher, teacher), and Fletcher Memorial Home or the title track were “The Wall leftovers”, so they no doubt worked on them.

Also, they obviously recorded “sexual revolution”, maybe there’s more Pros and Cons material that they either tried out or considered for the Wall. A Floyd version of “gone fishing” would thrill me

Wall soundtrack versions

Comfortably Numb minus the fade out/alternate solo takes

The Wall rehearsals are interesting

The Wall concert video from 1980

Hero’s Return Pts 1 & 2

Final Cut demos
Final Cut videos

Peace Be With You
Any results of the de-80s-ing of MLOR

Big Bong Theory material (the satellite spacey material that was at one point going to go with the Division Bell

La Carrera Pan America tracks

Jon Carin’s Learning to Fly demo
Signs of Life demo
I’m sure there’s more MLOR demos

And I’m sure there’s at least SOME material we don’t even know about (much like Roger’s Boogie and Song 2 surprised us).

Any usable live recordings from 73 tour, 74-75, 77....maybe even a pro recorded Division Bell show (I know Torino and Oslo certainly sound like Board recordings.

Maybe not 26 discs, but there’s enough that they could do it.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

UsNotThem wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:45 am I want to hear the complete Comfortably Numb solo, without the fade out. Or all the unused takes of the solo.
Seconded. Would consider buying the set on that basis alone.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Interesting stuff! I knew about some, but hadn't heard of others. Hopefully they'll unleash whatever they can find. [-o<
DrNakano
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrNakano »

Any 70s era concert video would be like the holy grail to me, the talk of a pro shot 1974 show in Nick's book makes for tantalising reading. Also wasn't there unused early Dark Side era material filmed for "Superstars In Concert"? The unearthing of French news crew footage of Knebworth 1975 also goes to show you never can tell what might be out there...