It Would Be So Nice

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
simoncm
Embryo
Embryo

It Would Be So Nice

Post by simoncm »

Delighted to pick up the "Early Singles" CD at an affordable price - BUT "It Would Be So Nice" is the "Daily Standard" version. Can I get this clear? Was this version in fact issued as a single? And has the "Evening Standard" version ever appeared on a compilation (vinyl or CD?) I'd really love to know!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: It Would Be So Nice

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

As far as I know the band spend their own money changing that lyric. And I picked up The Early Singles as well. It's not a bad little collection.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I just know I love that song, recording quality is awful, lyrics sucks but it's definitely one of my early Floyd favorites!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'd never say it to his face, but I think it's got one of Gilmour's best solos. No joking, listen to it's brief psuedo-psychedelia!
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

For me its really a case of a not very interesting song with some nice flourishes, just seems to highlight Barretts absence all the more to me with the toy town approach where as I think something like Paint Box as an A-side would have served the band better. Maybe it wouldn't have been a massive hit but I'd say rather more in tune with where they(and you could argue pop music as a whole) were going.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

Are we even sure an "Evening Standard" version even circulates. It's also interesting that the Beatles could name the rival Daily Mail but the Floyd had to change the lyric. Overall, one of the group's more embarrassing tunes.
Mydisease
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mydisease »

I'm actually a huge fan of Rick's earlier work. It is certainly different compared to roger, david, and syd's tunes but if you isolate them from the floyd sound you are treated to an extremely musically intelligent musician. Wet Dream is one of my fav albums too now.

I'd say the bashing this song has received is uncalled for and not accurate. Opinion's are fine but calling it embarrasing? Hardly.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Mydisease wrote: I'd say the bashing this song has received is uncalled for and not accurate. Opinion's are fine but calling it embarrasing? Hardly.
Certainly. There's no doubt that it's a silly little song, but it's a good one nonetheless in it's own right.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I've never seen the "Evening Standard" version on PROMO or a compilation set