un-official, un-sung, un-members of Pink Floyd.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

un-official, un-sung, un-members of Pink Floyd.

Post by ArastasHatchet »

do you agree or not, and please, feel free to add anybody i may have forgot to mention...
Guy Pratt (Bassist), Claire Torrey (Great Gig...), Roy Harper (duh, have a cigar), Dick Parry (PF's go-to guy for saxaphone), the guy who did their original psycadelic light-show thingy in the early days, Storm Thorgerson (say no more), Alan Parsan (via alans psycadelic breakfast and other reasons), Madmiossel Nobbs (aka Seamus the dog), Bob Geldof ( for his small but important contribution hahalol)
thats all i can think of at this very moment, and im sure im forgetting someone. But im sure yous out there can get down with this one, and will surely fill in my empty spaces. i have high hopes for this and am fearless of the outcome.

for now, goodbye cruel world lmao

p.s.- Ooooh what about Gilmour's wife??? Many lyrics on the Division Bell album were written by her. And now you know...........if ya didnt already lol
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: un-official, un-sung, un-members of Pink Floyd.

Post by Annoying Twit »

Pat Leonard writing loads on Amused to Death and not getting credit.

Jon Carin and Anthony Moore writing loads on PF records, but they got credit for it.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

Annoying Twit wrote:Pat Leonard writing loads on Amused to Death and not getting credit.

Jon Carin and Anthony Moore writing loads on PF records, but they got credit for it.

Hell Yeah dude! good stuff> i knew youse guys would fill in my gaps. these are good ones that i shoulda remembered.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

ArastasHatchet wrote:... the guy who did their original psychedelic light-show thingy in the early days
... that'll be Peter Wynne Willson

Peter is still working, and did a great performance at the Syd Barrett celebration in Cambridge on 27 Oct 2016

<ii>
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Norman Smith
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Smith_(producer)

Producer of the first two albums.
'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (1967) and 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (1968).

Drums on 'Remember a Day' (1967/1968).
And maybe at least some uncredited drumming?
(Nick Mason's style after those albums is rather different...)
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

twcc wrote:
ArastasHatchet wrote:... the guy who did their original psychedelic light-show thingy in the early days
... that'll be Peter Wynne Willson

Peter is still working, and did a great performance at the Syd Barrett celebration in Cambridge on 27 Oct 2016

<ii>

- Sweet, thanks man I've been trying to remember his name for a long time haha. Good lookin' out friend \:D/
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

Wolfpack wrote:Norman Smith
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Smith_(producer)

Producer of the first two albums.
'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (1967) and 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (1968).

Drums on 'Remember a Day' (1967/1968).
And maybe at least some uncredited drumming?
(Nick Mason's style after those albums is rather different...)
- Wow! This is turning out rather well me thinks. I mean, I expected some of this but this is incredible. They are a much more versatile band then I already believed!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wolfpack wrote:Norman Smith
Drums on 'Remember a Day' (1967/1968)
Also drumroll on 'Interstellar Overdrive'.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ArastasHatchet wrote:do you agree or not, and please, feel free to add anybody i may have forgot to mention...
Guy Pratt (Bassist), Claire Torrey (Great Gig...), Roy Harper (duh, have a cigar), Dick Parry (PF's go-to guy for saxaphone), the guy who did their original psycadelic light-show thingy in the early days, Storm Thorgerson (say no more), Alan Parsan (via alans psycadelic breakfast and other reasons), Madmiossel Nobbs (aka Seamus the dog), Bob Geldof ( for his small but important contribution hahalol)
thats all i can think of at this very moment, and im sure im forgetting someone. But im sure yous out there can get down with this one, and will surely fill in my empty spaces. i have high hopes for this and am fearless of the outcome.

for now, goodbye cruel world lmao

p.s.- Ooooh what about Gilmour's wife??? Many lyrics on the Division Bell album were written by her. And now you know...........if ya didnt already lol
Though it's Alan Stiles (roadie) who's having breakfast, not Alan Parsons...
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Lindy Mason (Nicks first wife) Flute on Grand Viziers Garden Party, The Party Sequence, Green is the Colour and Cymbaline

Stephane Grappelli - Violin on Wish you were here

Henry McCullough of Wings and Frankie Miller - "I don't know. I was really drunk at the time"
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Snowy White is the #1 unofficial member of Pink Floyd. I saw Bob Geldof but no Snowy White. That was enough to get me to log in.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Kerry King wrote:Snowy White is the #1 unofficial member of Pink Floyd. I saw Bob Geldof but no Snowy White. That was enough to get me to log in.
I had completely forgotten about Snowy, and I would have seen him at The Wall in 1980. Andy Bown was also there.
Steel Breeze
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Steel Breeze »

I personally think that from a musical perspective, if there's one person who has a case for being the 'fifth member' of the band, it's Dick Parry who really stands out to me. I'll give a few reasons why I feel he has the strongest case:

- He played saxophone, which didn't 'duplicate' the role of any of the band members - unlike the examples cited of Norman Smith playing drums on the first two albums, various examples from The Wall (Joe Di Blasi, Jeff Porcaro etc.), Parry is the definitive Pink Floyd saxophone player.
- He played on three studio albums, which Snowy White can't claim (important though he was live (especially on the In The Flesh tour).
- He played on more than one song, which eclipses Clare Torry and Roy Harper's vocal contributions.
- He played on two classic albums, indeed the pair that I consider to be the two greatest Floyd albums - the musicians who played on the post-Waters albums can't match this (IMO, of course).
- He played on three classic songs (IMO again) - probably more than someone like say Guy Pratt played on even though Guy played on more tracks.

In terms of their overall contribution to Pink Floyd though, I think Storm's contribution is very hard to beat. I think the artwork and visuals of most of the albums he worked on are a big part of their feel.

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast was very definitely Alan Styles not Alan Parsons - I remember Nick Mason mentioning it in his book, although as I recall he couldn't remember why they chose Styles to 'star' on that particular song! It's funny because I never thought about the flute parts on the More album but given that Floyd didn't have a Peter Gabriel/Ian Anderson type flute player it definitely makes sense that Lindy would have played those parts. I genuinely didn't know that so thank you kindly!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Good call, and well-reasoned justification, to include Dick Parry ... :)
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

No love for Bob Ezrin?

- He co-produced The Wall, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. He played keyboards on all three albums, including "Nobody Home" and "Stop".
- He's got a co-writing credit for "The Trial" on The Wall and probably co-wrote more than that on the album.
- He also co-wrote "Signs of Life", "Take It Back", and a personal favorite of mine "Learning to Fly".
- He's responsible for "Comfortably Numb" as we know it, combining Roger Waters' lyrics with David Gilmour's melody and guitar.
- Good or bad, he's the one who made "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" into a hit.

There's definitely some participatory greatness there and later Floyd would definitely sound different had he not been involved.

What do y'all think?