What would YOU say?...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

What would YOU say?...

Post by ArastasHatchet »

This has got to be the hardest question I could think of. If you got to meet Pink Floyd, what would ya ask them or talk about with them? I don't think I even know what I would. I've been a Floydian and a musician for about 30 years now and i still have no clue what we would talk about. There might be an ego barrier (wall) between us I feel.
So anyway, have at it then. I'm quite interested in what'll be said. \:D/
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: What would YOU say?...

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to guide this thread in the wrong direction, but Roger is probably the one that most people would want to get to grips with. I wonder if there is anybody out there ( :lol: ) who would ask him straight out why he has behaved like such a dick on so many occasions over the years. I wouldn't be the one - I would be totally star-struck <ii>
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm assuming that we're including Syd and Rick in the fantasy?

I would address each one individually and thank them from the bottom of my heart for the influence that each of them has had upon my own playing, writing and conceptual ambitions. (I once played a song that I had written and recorded for a friend of mine who told me that he could tell that Gilmour influenced my guitar, Waters influenced my bass playing (I don't think we'd yet learned just how much bass Gilmour actually played,) and Nick Mason my drumming. He then added "I have no doubt that if you had keyboards in this song, they would have a Richard Wright influence." He was, of course, correct.)

When I got to Syd, I would simply thank him for putting it all into motion, however unintentional it may have been.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

mosespa wrote:I'm assuming that we're including Syd and Rick in the fantasy?

I would address each one individually and thank them from the bottom of my heart for the influence that each of them has had upon my own playing, writing and conceptual ambitions. (I once played a song that I had written and recorded for a friend of mine who told me that he could tell that Gilmour influenced my guitar, Waters influenced my bass playing (I don't think we'd yet learned just how much bass Gilmour actually played,) and Nick Mason my drumming. He then added "I have no doubt that if you had keyboards in this song, they would have a Richard Wright influence." He was, of course, correct.)

When I got to Syd, I would simply thank him for putting it all into motion, however unintentional it may have been.

yup, Syd and Rick are definitely included, and Im fairly sure id say something similar. For sure Id thank them for the soundtrack to my life, among other things, such as pioneering new ground in rock and roll music and paving the way for a whole new genre (psychadelich-space-rock) haha. But surely id wanna know more intimate details about the reasons for Syd's downfall, and the reason why they couldnt just get along in the end of it all.
Keep 'em comin though guys
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

I'd treat the members of Pink Floyd just like I treat everyone else. I certainly would never bother Syd, or any of them, with fanboy nonsense. If I was being introduced I'd say "hi". I have no questions. If I saw them on the street I'd leave them alone.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

"Thank you for the music."
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I've got this weird compulsion to ask Nick Mason to open up about his divorce to his first wife.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

I'd definitely start with a thank you as well.

I would not ask Roger any mundane questions that he's been asked to death about. I would not ask about the 1980's and 90's and the animosity between him and the band after the split. Both have been known to quickly cut an interview short.

I think I'd start by asking what music they're listening to now -- which artists they find exciting.

I'd ask Roger to elaborate more about The Wall. I'd ask how different would it have sounded if they were not limited for time by the LP format. Probably other questions along those lines. In a larger sense than our current president, why does he think that The Wall is still a very relevant work today? I'd ask about Amused To Death and its relevance today. I'd probably ask how he finally convinced the Kubrick estate to let him use the unobscured version of HAL9000's voice on ATD.

I'd ask David if there he has any contemporaries that he likes to jam with. Maybe talk some football.

It's tough. It's a delicate balance between asking hopefully relevant questions and just sounding like that old Chris Farley character on Saturday Night Live.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

God I love this. please keep this discussion fresh.

God save the Queen, so she can save Rock n roll! Offer them all a damn Knighthood already! Including a postumas one for our fallen! THEY DESERVE IT!

p.s.- I live in Pennsylvania hahaha.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I'd definitely ask if there were any plans to release Live in Pompeii on vinyl........
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I would ask Rog what he thought about Davids CBE for his contribution to music
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

If I had a chance to say a few words to them (and by them, I mean Gilmour and Mason), it would be an encouragement to stay active and do something new.

I recently mentioned this on another topic here, but I am still intrigued by the idea of an unplugged redux of some of the classic tracks that Mason mentioned as a possible project at the very end of Inside Out. They could do the entire "Shine On" suite as a single track in a minimalist arrangement, as a duo, with a little bit of help: Gilmour on an acoustic guitar (and singing vocals) and Mason playing percussion, with Dick Parry on the saxophone. I would dare to bet that they would be able to pull "Echoes" as well in the same fashion.

Imagine that acoustic/unplugged LP from Pink Floyd, at this late hour - A side "Shine On", B side "Echoes".

I am convinced they could still pull things off if they wanted to. Mason would go for this (or something similar) in a flash, and it is too bad that Gilmour is now in the Roger Waters 1983-1985 phase (i.e. after releasing The Final Cut, but before officially leaving Pink Floyd in December 1985 - still in the band, but not doing anything with the band).

That would be my little speech to Pink Floyd.