12-inch Single of Interstellar Overdrive

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

12-inch Single of Interstellar Overdrive

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Pink Floyd will release a special 12-inch single to mark Record Store Day 2017.

They’ll launch Interstellar Overdrive – a previously unheard mono instrumental recording of the 1966 track – on April 15 on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl.

It’ll play at 33⅓ RPM and will come with a fold-out poster and an A6 postcard featuring a classic image of the band taken while they were recording their debut single Arnold Layne.

A statement reads: “Written and performed by Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Richard Wright and Nick Mason, Interstellar Overdrive is an unheard recording from 1966, running at a hefty 14 minutes 57 seconds long.

“The original recording was done at the Thomson studio in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, on November 31, 1966, before the band were signed to EMI.

“A different, shorter version of the track appears on the band’s debut album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.”

A limited run of the single will also be available at The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains at London’s Victoria & Albert Museum from May 13.

The event will run until October 1 and has been organised to mark the 50th anniversary of their first album.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 12-inch Single of Interstellar Overdrive

Post by Hadrian »

It sounds like a single-sided 12" single? No material on the B side?
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Hadrian wrote:It sounds like a single-sided 12" single? No material on the B side?
Yep - according to the information in the press it will be one sided.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I found the cover, here goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Here's a link to the full list of RSD2017 releases -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/p ... leases.pdf

Of note are a Chimera LP reissue featuring Nick and Rick, a London 1966/1967 picture disc plus the Interstellar Overdrive recording

:)
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I succeeded in getting a copy of this on Saturday morning. It was not easy.

Attached is the info from the liner notes.

This one should've been a part of the The Early Years 1965–1972 imo, but a nice treat regardless 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Yea I did Record Store Day on Saturday in Hollywood. I got there before 6:30 AM and the line was down and just around the block. Met some cool and groovy people. One invented and patented a wall hanger you can mount a record on. Nice little piece of metal, with brass nail and a well-designed box.

I can tell they improved the process of entry over past years, and know they will continue to develop this event. At one point, the line just seemed to be moving at a pretty steady pace.

We guessed that we would be in the store by noon, and as it turned out, I was home before 11:30.

IO was the only record I check-marked, and it was in stock. I played it like 4 times an hour for the rest of my work-day. It is one sided, some cool inserts, printing and good reading. Nice to have another version of this song. I'll shortly put it onto my iPod, where I'll forget the version and where it came from and just enjoy the differences. Always need variety. Thanks Floyd !!!! :D
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

vizor wrote:Met some cool and groovy people. One invented and patented a wall hanger you can mount a record on. Nice little piece of metal, with brass nail and a well-designed box.
The local record store I went to here in DFW didn't get many copies of either 12". Needless to say I missed out on both. They started lining up in the mid-cities store before 3:00 am.

But yeah, the coolest thing about RSD for me was that I had forgotten how great it was to be in a room full of people who were as passionate about music and the experience of listening and sharing it as I am. The day was not a loss for me.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There was a third Pink Floyd-related 12" this year - by Pink Floyd - the one below (London 1966/1967; tracks: Interstellar Overdrive / Nick's Boogie). This was released previously on vinyl, but this edition was a picture disc. 650 copies globally; the store where I went did not even get one, although they tried.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Hadrian wrote:... (London 1966/1967; tracks: Interstellar Overdrive / Nick's Boogie). This was released previously on vinyl, but this edition was a picture disc. 650 copies globally ...
Wow, was it really on 650-units, I thought it was 2,000
<ii>
dlcarst
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dlcarst »

Record Store Day is one of the few times I'm glad I live in a small town. Show up at 9:30, fourth in line, store opens at 10, I get everything I want (down side is they don't get every RSD release). This is a very nice recording, quality is very good. This version is more spacey than later and the melody isn't quite there, also a bit slowed down at the start. I'd really like a bit more info on this, however, than simply where and when it was recorded. Did it just turn up one day? Was it sitting in an archive? I'd guess that perhaps when they compiled the tracks for the Early Years set they just left one (or more) for special releases such as this. And if I'm correct, isn't this the earliest Floyd studio recording besides the Lucy Leave/King Bee etc. 1965 recordings?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

twcc, RSD 2017 catalogue indeed stated 650 copies for "London 1966/67" (picture disc).

dlcarst, I strongly suspect that they still have more things in the vaults for future special occasions. If you look at Glenn Povey's latest book (The Complete Pink Floyd: The Ultimate Reference, May 2016 edition) - recording session details for the period up to and including 1972 - there are still a few completely unknown song/instrumental titles for a number of albums despite that big box last year.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I don't do vinyl anymore, so I am envious of those who procured a copy for themselves.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I picked up a copy of this. I wasn't expecting too much but it's a pretty punchy version with a much different opening groove to any other I've heard. Really chuffed. Rick's keyboard is right up there in the mix and Syd is doing a great job in creating some atmospheres on guitar.
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Post by johnjohnstone »

Hadrian wrote:There was a third Pink Floyd-related 12" this year - by Pink Floyd - the one below (London 1966/1967; tracks: Interstellar Overdrive / Nick's Boogie). This was released previously on vinyl, but this edition was a picture disc. 650 copies globally; the store where I went did not even get one, although they tried.
Apart from this one and IO, what was the other 12"?