Relics: Careful With That Axe, Eugene

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Relics: Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Post by theaussiefloydian »

OK, so I'm a little stuck in the world here, and I need some answers.
So I was in England a couple of days ago, and I picked up this 70's copy of Relics - the compilation album - for about fifteen pounds at Camden. I've not played it yet, as I'm afraid my slightly sub-par record player might damage it. However, there is a detail that is bothering me.
The timing for 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene' is listed as 7:45. Now I might be a bit stupid, but I do know that the single version of that piece was something like 5:46, as it is also on Spotify. Furthermore, when I went investigating on Discogs, it listed the timing to 'Careful' as 7:45 on Relics. Was an extended version used for the vinyl versions in the 70's, are there arbitrary silences, or is this a printing error?
Thanks for any answers you guys might have. I'm still a bit of a duffer with this whole thing, as I started record collecting last year.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Relics: Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Post by drafsack »

Hi

That is a great little album and cost less than £1 when it was first released. Which cover did it have? The original was an all black and white hand drawn by Nick mason, organ of some description. The first reissue had the pink floyd section at the back coloured in, there was then a 'photograph' version of the organ type instrument and there has also been a mask version with weird eyes. I have the original version and I will drag it out along with my record player and time it for you.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

The cover of this is Mason's original sketch, with the lettering of 'Relics - Pink Floyd' coloured in pink. It's a 1978 release, if that helps at all. Thanks for the help.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Its a typo on the album cover. I timed it and its 5 mins 40 odd
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Thanks so much for the help. That's just upped the cool factor of my copy.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Great job getting the vinyl of Relics! I am jealous, as I only have the CD version and have never come across the album in vinyl (I sound SOOOO old! :lol: ). I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time :lol: ) but the longer version is the live version versus the studio version which is only about 5:45. Just my uneducated opinion. Side one of that album is awesome!!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Syd'sSexy wrote:Great job getting the vinyl of Relics! I am jealous, as I only have the CD version and have never come across the album in vinyl (I sound SOOOO old! :lol: ). I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time :lol: ) but the longer version is the live version versus the studio version which is only about 5:45. Just my uneducated opinion. Side one of that album is awesome!!
All of that is correct. The live version is 8:49. And I've mentioned this before on other topics, but seeking out the vinyl edition of anything doesn't make you old. I'm nearly 18, and I already have a fairly decent sized record collection for someone who started two years ago with titles from Pink Floyd (12 of the 2016 reissues down, 3 to go!), M83, Jean-Michel Jarre, Radiohead and Coldplay. A varied lot, but all good stuff IMO. (And no, I'm not a 'hipster'. I met one once and he told me Pink Floyd was 'pop music'. <.8.> Cretin.)
So yeah, I'm pretty happy with this find. I may not be a total expert on this sort of thing, but misprints do make the thing a little more rare and therefore a little more valuable. Not that I'm selling this record.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

You're 18 and have vinyl! :shock: Most people I know of that age don't even know what an album is :lol: I have about 600 albums, yes...and I haven't played them for years. It's a meager collection, but it reminds me of all of the music I loved in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Of course, I have every PF album, except for the Final Cut. We won't go there. BTW, I love Jean Michel Jarre. I have Equinoxe and Oxygene in vinyl 8) Also, DON'T sell the Relics find :D
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Yeah, I started collecting because my mum bought herself a new record player when I was fourteen, and the first record she played was Boney M's Nightflight To Venus. Whilst the album was hugely cheesy, it was a bit of a changing experience. Afterwards I pulled out mum's 1971 copy of Beatles 1967-70, and that was the deal for me: I fell in love with vinyl right then. Wish I had Oxygene or Equinoxe, but Jarre is maddeningly hard to find in Canada. The one I have is Magnetic Fields, which is also a pretty decent album.
The ones I'm missing from Pink Floyd are Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and The Final Cut. I'll end up getting TFC, mostly for completion reasons. I would have been able to enjoy that album had it been sold as a Roger Waters solo album and not a Pink Floyd record. Amused To Death would have been a better Floyd album IMO.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I love the term "record player!" :lol: I used to listen to Beatles' 45 rpms as a child with my siblings in the mid 60s. We literally had a record player that looked like a suitcase. I don't know if those relics still exist :lol:

If you would like those Jarre albums, let me know, I have them, although they would be digital. ( I won't give you my vinyls :) I can hook you up 8)

I have Atom Heart Mother and Meddle on vinyl, not the Final Cut (and don't want it lol).
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Syd'sSexy wrote:I have Atom Heart Mother and Meddle on vinyl, not the Final Cut (and don't want it lol).
Whats your issue with the final cut?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

drafsack wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote:I have Atom Heart Mother and Meddle on vinyl, not the Final Cut (and don't want it lol).
Whats your issue with the final cut?
Frankly, I just don't enjoy listening to it. Most of the tracks don't sound like the traditional PF. Though I treasure many of Roger's heavily influenced albums, including Animals and The Wall, I am not a fan of The Final Cut. It's depressing and way too much of a political statement for me, with a negative impact on the sound and value of the music. I will listen to The Gunner's Dream, but the rest of it to me is rubbish. Plus the fact that Rick was excluded influences the traditional sound in a negative way. It would be the same for anyone to say that a Momentary Lapse of Reason is rubbish because Waters didn't have any input. Frankly, that album has a couple of good tracks, but it's not the total Pink Floyd experience that we enjoyed with Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, etc. The parts are not as good as the whole, in my opinion. When all the members had input, they performed great, revolutionary, classic, and memorable music. I've gone on long enough, I am sure you are bored with my opinion, lol.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Syd'sSexy wrote: Frankly, I just don't enjoy listening to it. Most of the tracks don't sound like the traditional PF. Though I treasure many of Roger's heavily influenced albums, including Animals and The Wall, I am not a fan of The Final Cut. It's depressing and way too much of a political statement for me, with a negative impact on the sound and value of the music. I will listen to The Gunner's Dream, but the rest of it to me is rubbish. Plus the fact that Rick was excluded influences the traditional sound in a negative way. It would be the same for anyone to say that a Momentary Lapse of Reason is rubbish because Waters didn't have any input. Frankly, that album has a couple of good tracks, but it's not the total Pink Floyd experience that we enjoyed with Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, etc. The parts are not as good as the whole, in my opinion. When all the members had input, they performed great, revolutionary, classic, and memorable music. I've gone on long enough, I am sure you are bored with my opinion, lol.
I understand all of those points, but somehow I do find something good in The Final Cut, buried under the frankly ridiculous SFX usage and the dull composition. The biggest problem with the record really is how dated it sounds, from the numbers that sound very 80's (not in the same way that AMLOR was very 80's though) to the constant references to the politicians at the time. However I can enjoy it if I'm in the right frame of mind. The second side is definitely superior in quality, with 'The Fletcher Memorial Home', 'The Final Cut', 'Not Now John' and 'Two Suns In The Sunset'. Those songs for me pull the album into place and make it bearable.
In terms of the albums where Waters wasn't present, I wouldn't say they sucked because of that. I love The Division Bell and The Endless River, and was for a time entranced with the fan edit Forever and Ever. AMLOR was sub-par more because the label urged Gilmour to release it as a Pink Floyd album, when he had intended it to be a solo release.