Potential 'The Middle Years' Project

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Potential 'The Middle Years' Project

Post by theaussiefloydian »

So, after the hype that surrounded 'The Early Years' and its quite extensive coverage of a fantastic age, I have seen a bit of speculation on the topic of whether there will be a 'Middle Years: 1972 - 1979' box set. I'm wondering what you might want to see on this, should it happen. Sadly, my knowledge of Pink Floyd is kind of limited, but the things I would like to hear are:
- The Wall - Soundtrack Version (without the incidental sounds from the film)
- Roger Waters' demos for 'The Wall' and 'Pros And Cons' (latter seems unlikely to me)
- The uncut version of 'The Wall' (I heard somewhere that the album was reduced by nine minutes and reshuffled in a two-day editing session, and I'm curious about what that version sounded like before the edits)
- Any possible studio recordings of 'Raving And Drooling' and 'You've Got To Be Crazy' (if they exist - not too clear on that)
- Any more tracks that might have been recorded in the 'Household Objects' sessions
- Drift Away Blues
- Death Disco

If you have any more stuff that you'd like to hear on this (hypothetical) box set, just post below.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Potential 'The Middle Years' Project

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The Christmas song and also the song (actually it'll probably come under Pros And Find) but the title track of TPACOHH used to be something that ended with the word "---- Fantasy!".
Live stuff from THAT tour.
Even then I'll only be able to get the 2CD version!

Great thread idea! Thanks!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Would 1972 be the deal breaker? There would be loads from Eclipse/TDSOTM.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Ooh... I'd love to hear any drafts they have from those sessions. In terms of film though, how about a film of The Wall concerts that doesn't suck?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

theaussiefloydian wrote:So, after the hype that surrounded 'The Early Years' and its quite extensive coverage of a fantastic age, I have seen a bit of speculation on the topic of whether there will be a 'Middle Years: 1972 - 1979' box set. I'm wondering what you might want to see on this, should it happen. Sadly, my knowledge of Pink Floyd is kind of limited, but the things I would like to hear are:
- The Wall - Soundtrack Version (without the incidental sounds from the film)
Could be interesting, should be easy to do if everything was archived properly
theaussiefloydian wrote: - Roger Waters' demos for 'The Wall' and 'Pros And Cons' (latter seems unlikely to me)
The Wall Immersion edition already came with a large number of Roger Waters' original demo recordings. As for Pros and Cons it wouldn't make sense in a Pink Floyd box set, given the band turned it down and he went solo with it.
theaussiefloydian wrote: - The uncut version of 'The Wall' (I heard somewhere that the album was reduced by nine minutes and reshuffled in a two-day editing session, and I'm curious about what that version sounded like before the edits)
Could be interesting, but I think it mainly comes down to Hey You being moved to the start of side 3 and Empty Spaces replacing What Shall We Do Now? There are probably other edits to cut down on the total length, but I doubt it's anything earth shatteringly different.
theaussiefloydian wrote: - Any possible studio recordings of 'Raving And Drooling' and 'You've Got To Be Crazy' (if they exist - not too clear on that)
A few years ago the "Extraction Tapes" were leaked, which included early versions of tracks from WYWH and Animals. Can be found on bootlegs and YouTube. Would be nice to have cleaned up versions.
theaussiefloydian wrote: - Any more tracks that might have been recorded in the 'Household Objects' sessions
Not sure if there was anything more that would be at all interesting.
theaussiefloydian wrote: - Drift Away Blues
I would love an expanded remastered live compilation from the 1977 tour, with Axe from Oakland and Blues from Montreal. I've heard rumours and stories of tapes being kept from the tour, so who knows.
theaussiefloydian wrote: - Death Disco
As most of the other Wall demo stuff was already put out, not sure if they would choose this, but you never know
theaussiefloydian wrote:If you have any more stuff that you'd like to hear on this (hypothetical) box set, just post below.
I would love to hear the full 1972 Brighton Eclipse recording, seeing as we only got 3 tracks of it on the Dark Side Immersion box set.

Would also be great to hear some remastered live recordings from 1973-1975. The Wembley show has already been re-done, but I'd love to hear one of the 1975 live versions of Shine On and Have a Cigar get the remaster treatment.

Could also be cool to do a PULSE style Bootlegging the Bootleggers and take all of the 8mm and 16mm footage that fans shot on the various tours and put remastered live audio over the top, matching up as close as possible.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Resurrecting this thread of mine because I thought of something that would be nice to have in this (probably inevitable) box set - all of Live at the Empire Pool 1974 all in one piece.
Bits and pieces of these recordings have been spread across box set after box set (Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon Experience Editions, and weirdly Continu/ation despite that being between 1967-72), but I think having it all in one place would be pretty nice (and yes I could probably put it together myself in editing, but all the same it would be nice to have)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I don't see this happening, since everything in between the Early Years and Later Years has had or will have its own boxed set, or is The Final Cut. The Animals Immersion set hit a snag in that they couldn't find enough material to include, so it seems highly unlikely that they're sitting on soundboard recordings of any of the '77 shows. Anything else that didn't appear in the existing Immersion sets won't be released. The best we can hope for is a proper Wembley '74, but I already have their remastered version in my Spotify playlist. I don't need to touch and see a record sleeve.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »