"A Great day for Freedom" - an AMLOR left-over...?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

"A Great day for Freedom" - an AMLOR left-over...?

Post by Peter Harold »

Dear friends!

I just read an interview by Jon Carin on the web page of Dave Smiths Instrument:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/artists/jon-carin/

In this interview, Mr Carin states that the song "A Great Day for Freedom" has its origns from recording the AMLOR album:¨
Well, synthesizers…regarding Dave Smith’s creations, obviously, the Prophet V had that. ‪James Guthrie, who is one of the producers of The Wall album, has always been into it, and it certainly helped define ‪Pink Floyd’s The Wall record. I then used it years later on The Division Bell, on a song leftover from the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason record called A Great Day For Freedom.
The Wikipedia article writes the more official story, that the song was a Creation from the time when the Berlin wall fell, which happened in November 1989, a couple of years after the recording and the release of AMLOR.

This information is interesting. It do have an air similar to "On the Turning Away", and it is impossible to not compare those two melodies.

Shine on,
Peter
Luca
Axe
Axe

Re: "A Great day for Freedom" - an AMLOR left-over...?

Post by Luca »

I noticed it too, when I read the interview on Jon Carin facebook. His words sound plausible, since he also played piano on that track (the style of playing doesn't sound at all like rick wright). I wonder whether the left over was the mysterious Peace be with you.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Luca wrote:I noticed it too, when I read the interview on Jon Carin facebook. His words sound plausible, since he also played piano on that track (the style of playing doesn't sound at all like rick wright). I wonder whether the left over was the mysterious Peace be with you.
I thought Mr Carin only did programming on the song.

Yes, the theme of the titles has some common ground, I think.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

happy to see Carin bring some analogue, as opposed to the kurzweil samples he seemed to rely on for years.

sorry, where am I supposed to hear a prophet on the great day for freedom from the div bell? am I nuts? I don't recall anything like that on that song, but I rarely listen to the studio version.

p.s. nice interview. nice chap too; had a good photo op at the RAH a couple of years ago.