The unreleased "Spare Bricks" album

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
SurrogateMember
Embryo
Embryo

The unreleased "Spare Bricks" album

Post by SurrogateMember »

As we all know, the band re-recorded something like 7 songs from the Wall, to use in the movie. But, since that isn't enough for a full album, Roger decided to compliement that with newly recorded Wall-related songs, both to help make the album "sellable" and to expand on The Wall's narrative. But, the album didn't get released because midway through recording, the Falklands war happened and Waters began The Final Cut instead. So, does anyone know which songs were intended for Spare Bricks, supposed tracklists, or anything?
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Re: The unreleased "Spare Bricks" album

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

Hi, Surrogate,

(apologies in advance for the crosspost from Yeeshkul. I hang out there, too)

A track listing for 'Spare Bricks' was never finalized, but we can make an educated guess as to the track that would have been included.

From the film, these would have most likely been included

When The Tigers Broke Free
Mother
What Shall We Do Now?
Bring The Boys Back Home
Outside The Wall

From the film, this *might* have been included:

In The Flesh (rerecorded Wagnerian-style with silver band)
Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3

And the six additional songs which were most likely to originally appear on the soundtrack incarnation of the 'Spare Bricks' album were:

Your Possible Pasts
The Final Cut
The Post War Dream
The Hero's Return (this was originally recorded for 'The Wall' as "Teacher, Teacher")
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Paranoid Eyes

Most likely, not all of these tracks would have made it onto the album, but these were the ones being discussed.

In the September 18, 1982 issue of Billboard magazine, David Gilmour talked about soundtrack album and The Final Cut:

"At one point we intended to make a soundtrack album, but we just didn't have enough new music to reasonably justify putting one out. At one point we thought more of the music in the film would be new or different, but it didn't work out that way. We recorded about five songs for the film, but in most cases we just remixed the original tapes."

I found this quote from Roger from August, 1982:

“We were contracted to make a soundtrack album but there really wasn’t enough new material in the movie to make a record that I thought was interesting. The project then became Spare Bricks, and was meant to include some of the film music, like “When The Tigers Break Through” and the much less ironic version of “Outside The Wall” which finishes the movie… plus some music written for the movie but left on the cutting room floor. I decided not to include the new version of “Mother” from the movie because it really is film*music and it doesn’t stand up. It’s a very long song, and besides, I’m bored with all that now. I’ve become more interested in the remembrance and requiem aspects of the thing, if that doesn’t sound too pretentious. Anyway, it all seemed a bit bitty then I came up with a new title for the album, The Final Cut.”

Both Roger and David have talked about the scrapped soundtrack album in a little more detail. These were just the quickest citations I could find this afternoon.

I have no guess as to how they would have sequenced these songs to make it into a coherent Pink Floyd album.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Id' hazard a guess that we didn;t miss out on much, based on the final cut sounding derivative of the wall enough to me, and posts above.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

raisemyrent wrote:Id' hazard a guess that we didn;t miss out on much, based on the final cut sounding derivative of the wall enough to me, and posts above.
We missed some nuances, mostly. I think with the added bits, some abrupt edits get filled in and The Wall gets a little more time to breathe in spots which gives contrast to the times it doesn't. Personally, I think the album flows better with the missing parts.

I don't think a casual Floyd listener would notice much difference except that it might seem more of a slog. If someone thought The Wall was too long before, there's nothing in the missing bits that would change their mind.
SurrogateMember
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SurrogateMember »

In case anyone's interested, I did a write-up on Spare Bricks in here: http://the-reconstructor.blogspot.com.b ... 2.html?m=1
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Only ...Tigers... was released as a single

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/singl ... -the-film/
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

AtomHeartBrother wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:58 pm From the film, these would have most likely been included

When The Tigers Broke Free
Mother
What Shall We Do Now?
Bring The Boys Back Home
Outside The Wall

From the film, this *might* have been included:

In The Flesh (rerecorded Wagnerian-style with silver band)
Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3

And the six additional songs which were most likely to originally appear on the soundtrack incarnation of the 'Spare Bricks' album were:

Your Possible Pasts
The Final Cut
The Post War Dream
The Hero's Return (this was originally recorded for 'The Wall' as "Teacher, Teacher")
Paranoid Eyes
I have no guess as to how they would have sequenced these songs to make it into a coherent Pink Floyd album.
Resurrecting this thread, because I saw this track list and decided to guess what this tracklist would have looked like:

SIDE A:
When the Tigers Broke Free
Mother (Film Version)
One of the Few
The Hero's Return (Parts 1 and 2)
Paranoid Eyes

SIDE B:
What Shall We Do Now?
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3 (Film Version)*
Your Possible Pasts
Bring the Boys Back Home (Film Version)
Outside the Wall (Film Version)
The Final Cut

* here means that the album would work with or without this track.