Pink Floyd Gig In Cork 1967

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Pink Floyd Gig In Cork 1967

Post by bonjanee »

Nice article in the Irish paper The Examiner about Pink Floyd's only ever gig in the Republic of Ireland. Following a gig in Belfast, they drove 225miles to Cork, for some reason bypassing Dublin on the way. For some reason The Floyd never returned to Ireland and only Waters has ever played here.

Nice portrait of the band and good first hand account
https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle ... 65123.html
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd Gig In Cork 1967

Post by twcc »

^^^
Thanks for posting, I love the "taking the piss" story -
About a week later I was talking to Roger Waters and mentioned Syd taking the piss. Roger looked at me with an incredulous expression and said, “Jack, his name’s actually Roger. Syd’s his nickname.”
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

David Gilmour played in the National Stadium, Dublin on 31st March 1984, back when he was promoting About Face. I've got a bootleg of it somewhere. The impression I get is that the show wasn't exactly a sell-out and the audience wasn't particularly enthusiastic. It's a real shame that he never played live in Ireland again, either with Pink Floyd or on a solo tour. A venue like the Bord Gais theatre would be ideal if he didn't fancy going for the 3 Arena :( I wonder did the underwhelming experiences he and the band experienced put them off coming over here?

Thanks for the link, by the way. I enjoyed it, other than the moronic spelling of Gilmore. I never knew they'd ventured south of the border. Cork 1967 must've been as alien a place to Pink Floyd as the band was to Corkonians.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I e-mailed the journo and I'm pleased to see the typo's have now been corrected

:)
Halcomb
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Halcomb »

twcc wrote:^^^
Thanks for posting, I love the "taking the piss" story -
About a week later I was talking to Roger Waters and mentioned Syd taking the piss. Roger looked at me with an incredulous expression and said, “Jack, his name’s actually Roger. Syd’s his nickname.”
I love that story too. Such a gem. Never read about this before. Weird how they played so few times in Ireland. How big is the fanbase in Ireland?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I don't know how many fans there are over here but Roger never has trouble selling tickets for his solo shows. He's playing two shows this summer in the 3 Arena which has a capacity of 14,500. He sold out two nights in the same venue last time round when he was doing The Wall. He has also played in a football stadium (not sure how many tickets were sold for that) and a marquee in recent years.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The marquee event was pretty full and well worth the the journey. In fact I was so impressed with the cork marquee festival I went back the following year to see the Flaming lips