Potential "The Later Years" Project...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Potential "The Later Years" Project...

Post by theaussiefloydian »

A while ago I started a thread on what I hoped to see in a hypothetical "The Middle Years" box set, and now I'm wondering what would happen if the Floyd decided to release one of the later years. Now I really enjoy post-Waters Floyd (especially The Division Bell), so there are a couple of things I would like to hear. So, let's delve into this.
What would I like to see in "The Later Years"?

- Anything left over from "The Final Cut" sessions. I know most of it won't be terribly interesting, but you never know.
- That remix of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" someone was pushing around the idea of about seven years ago.
- Any demos Gilmour might have had from the "Momentary" era.
- The soundtrack from La Carrera Panamericana (I've never heard it or seen the film due to my own limited means, but this strikes me as something that would be interesting to hear)
- The Big Spliff. Pink Floyd ambient music is just something that I have to hear, now.
- And here's the biggest stretch of the imagination here. I know it's more or less impossible that the rumoured sessions in 2001 occurred. But if they did... could we have whatever they did then please?

So what do you all reckon?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Potential "The Later Years" Project...

Post by Hadrian »

I have a theory about those rumored 2001 sessions, what those might have been about.

Nick Mason closed his Inside Out book with a list of things that they never got to do (with a faint hope that they still might get done). One of them is on your list (in a way), which would be him redoing the percussion parts on the Momentary Lapse of Reason (i.e. getting rid of all the drum machines they used, and replacing the parts by actually recording live drums in the studio).

Another one, of interest here, is the idea of reworking a selection of the old material for an unplugged album. I think this is what they were exploring in 2001, if they had studio jamming sessions then.

Mason stated that, instead of the band doing this, Gilmour ended up doing some of it "on his own". And he did - there is an acoustic version of the entire "Shine On" on his video David Gilmour in Concert (recorded in mid-2001 and early 2002), with that spectacular minimalist first half with only David on an acoustic guitar and Dick Parry on a saxophone. In the Special Features there is also a version of "High Hopes" performed by three female backing vocalists without any other instruments involved, another possible remnant of the project (if it had been one). Finally, there is an acoustic version of "Echoes" included as an Easter Egg on Gilmour's next concert video, Remember That Night (2007).

Nick Mason was right - that one would've been a spectacular idea. Imagine an LP (either as a whole thing, or as a part of a wider package with similar material) with the entire "Shine On" on one side and "Echoes" on the other, both of them stripped down to bare bones and appropriately rearranged for an acoustic performance. \:D/
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote:Imagine an LP (either as a whole thing, or as a part of a wider package with similar material) with the entire "Shine On" on one side and "Echoes" on the other, both of them stripped down to bare bones and appropriately rearranged for an acoustic performance. \:D/
A "Pink Floyd: Unplugged" record? That sounds like a sensational idea!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

To illustrate it, here goes.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote:To illustrate it, here goes.
YES. Please let there be more recordings like this somewhere.