An idea for one final compilation (1973-1979 period)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

An idea for one final compilation (1973-1979 period)

Post by Hadrian »

I have never been a great fan of the band's various compilations released over the years (especially edits which shorten included tracks, regularly found on those records), but it occurred to me recently that there is potential for one more compilation of the studio material from the golden years 1973-79 that could be both different and interesting. I made a private version of this for myself, by playing with Celemony's Melodyne, after importing the tracks directly from CDs. It definitely works on a demonstration level, and I am convinced that it would work beautifully with proper access to original studio tapes and perhaps some minimal additional instrumental studio work by the likes of David and Nick. I am posting it here, in a naive hope that the idea might find its way to someone close to the band. :D

I am sure that an actual product would have a proper witty name and great cover, I just refer to this as 'whole songs' playlist. They are listed in their chronological release order, but better sequencing can certainly be made (in terms of length it could even work as an LP, with "Shine One" being either side A or B).

1. Breathe (07:07)
2. Shine On (26:00)
3. Pigs on the Wing (03:25)
4. Another Brick in the Wall (09:08)
=======================
Total: 45:40

Notes:
"Breathe" from The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), combining "Breathe"-"Any Colour You Like" [also known as "Breathe (Second Reprise)"]-"Breathe (Reprise)" into one song.
"Shine On" from Wish You Were Here (1975), combining all nine parts into one song. [I prefer the original name for it, just "Shine On" - the word Crazy in the later title always bothered me]
"Pigs on the Wing" from Animals (1977), 8-track version, combining parts 1 and 2 with a guitar solo by Snowy White in the middle.
"Another Brick in the Wall" from The Wall (1979), combining all three parts into one song.

Would you buy this?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: An idea for one final compilation (1973-1979 period)

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'd like "Empty Spaces" and studio takes of "You Gotta Be Crazy" and "Raving And Drooling" as well but happy with your list!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: An idea for one final compilation (1973-1979 period)

Post by Hadrian »

I assume you meant "What Shall We Do Now?" there, the studio take.

There is now technology in place to completely isolate and remove audience from live recordings (here is one radical example for The Beatles, Live at the Hollywood Bowl, originally recorded on a 3-track machine; they succeeded in removing the audience screaming, isolating the instruments and vocals into separate tracks, and doing a stereo mix!).

"The Last Few Bricks" could also be scrubbed a bit more in a similar fashion. As a B side, and together with "What Shall We Do Now?" on the A side, it would make a great bonus 7" for the latest LP edition of The Wall :D

p.s.
The technology mentioned above opens some interesting possibilities for Pink Floyd material too, especially the early stuff.