Saucerful of Secrets (Mono Mix)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Saucerful of Secrets (Mono Mix)

Post by theaussiefloydian »

So, the internet being the wonderful thing it is, I found the entire mono mix of "A Saucerful of Secrets" uploaded to YouTube. The quality of the sound... well it's not hi-fi, but it's good enough that one can listen to the music and not be distracted by the quality (it also helps that I've been getting into the whole lo-fi thing recently anyway, but that's beside the point).
This mix kicks the arse of the stereo mix in some places. "Corporal Clegg" sounds a little more focused, the cacophony of "A Saucerful of Secrets" is also pared down a little (thank God...), and generally it sounds a little less crowded.
So I suppose the point of this post is a simple question:
Why the heck hasn't Floyd re-released this version? Ever? The mono version of "Piper" got a re-release! Why not this?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Saucerful of Secrets (Mono Mix)

Post by twcc »

Agreed, I have an unofficial MONO remastered CD edition that was put together in 1998 ... it would be great to have the proper version with the superior Corporal Clegg etc
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

It's interesting how some mono mixes either have key elements that aren't in the stereo mix (eg the organ that's missing in the stereo Interstellar Overdrive), or leave out stuff (eg the noisy guitar in Corporal Clegg)

In both cases above, the tracks are better in the mono mix.

Corporal Clegg sounds positively garage-band in mono.. more 'in your face', and not buried under so much overdubbing.

I don't think Abbey Road had 8-track machines installed when it was recorded, but the 'busy' stereo mix has all the hallmarks of Pink Floyd trying to fill the tape with everything.. kinda like what the Grateful Dead did on Aoxomoxoa when they got one of the first 16-track machines.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

They should do that for sure. I love the mono version, especially the longer fade out on "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Hadrian wrote:They should do that for sure. I love the mono version, especially the longer fade out on "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".
That fade out certainly is something else. Can't imagine why they cut it short on the stereo version.