Help regarding Album

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pinkie Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Help regarding Album

Post by Pinkie Floyd »

Hi guys I am new to the forum so thanks for having me guys. I am a record collector as well but not very knowledgeable about Pink Floyd!

My father in law is a collector of Pink Floyd records and we have a miss-press that I can't find?

The cover is to Atom Heart Mother and one side is from Atom Heart Mother. The other side is Shine on you crazy diamond off the album - Wish you were here.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Help regarding Album

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Just saw this post and I'm intrigued.
Unfortunately I cannot shed any light into this mispressing, but I do have to wonder how this might have happened. Obviously the issue must have been issued after 1975... do you have a serial number you can give us? If you do you could always plug it into Discogs.com and see what comes up.
If it's in good condition on a side note you could be sitting on a valuable record - a misprint like that ought to be pretty rare and therefore worth a pound or two!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

If you're UK based you could also contact eil/espirit for a valuation ... bear in mind they only, usually, deal in EX+ or Mint items
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Pinkie Floyd wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm The other side is Shine On
How well are the two halves patched up on that release?

I am convinced that the unfortunate splitting of Shine On into two had to do with the primary physical format of the time (LP). As an album WYWH works well as a whole (clocking at 44:36), but if you try a different (and more logical) running order of songs, you get the following:

Side A (26:00)
1. Shine On 26:00

Side B (18:36)
1. Have a Cigar 05:24
2. Welcome to the Machine 07:32
3. Wish You Were Here 05:40

This way, Side B ends up way shorter. In this scenario they needed another song for Side B, which they did not have (at least none that conceptually fit).

These days, in the age of streaming, the release order above would be a given.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 pm
Pinkie Floyd wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm The other side is Shine On
I am convinced that the unfortunate splitting of Shine On into two had to do with the primary physical format of the time (LP).
I'm actually OK with the fact that Shine On is split up into two halves on the LP, because it makes a really nice bookend, but I would like to see an official release of a 26 minute cut now that it could be done digitally.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

They should've done it for the Immersion reissue, at least as a download bonus.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 pm They should've done it for the Immersion reissue, at least as a download bonus.
Agreed. Another thing to add to the hopeful "Middle Years" vox set
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Here is an idea for an LP on the topic, patched up versions of songs split on the albums from that era. All studio versions of course. It would require some minimal studio work from Gilmour and Mason to get this done.

Side A (19:40)
1. Pigs on the Wing (03:25)
2. Breathe (07:07)
3. Another Brick in the Wall (09:08)

Side B (26:00)
1. Shine On (26:00)

One side is still shorter, but it could still work well on vinyl. Other formats are not an issue.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 pm Here is an idea for an LP on the topic, patched up versions of songs split on the albums from that era. All studio versions of course. It would require some minimal studio work from Gilmour and Mason to get this done.

Side A (19:40)
1. Pigs on the Wing (03:25)
2. Breathe (07:07)
3. Another Brick in the Wall (09:08)

Side B (26:00)
1. Shine On (26:00)

One side is still shorter, but it could still work well on vinyl. Other formats are not an issue.
I'm on board with that idea!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

"Pigs on the Wing", containing guitar solo by Snowy White, was actually released on an 8-track version of the album back in 1977. Here it is. Snowy White also released a remastered version of it on his solo album Goldtop in 1995.

"Breathe" is actually album versions of "Breathe" + "Any Colour You Like" (aka "Breathe (Second Reprise") + "Breathe (Reprise)".

The rest is self-evident.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:25 pm "Breathe" is actually album versions of "Breathe" + "Any Colour You Like" (aka "Breathe (Second Reprise") + "Breathe (Reprise)".
I tried patching that together myself once, but my editing skills were not so great back then... Might give it another whirl sometime
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Yes, and many have tried, there are some examples on YouTube. If you have another go at it and you are happy with the result, pm me with it - I would love to hear it. Putting that together properly would require access to studio tapes of course, to get rid of the "Speak To Me" overlap at the start, and more importantly, for transitions.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 pm Putting that together properly would require access to studio tapes of course, to get rid of the "Speak To Me" overlap at the start, and more importantly, for transitions.
For a fan edit one could simply stich the 1972 mix opening of "Breathe" into it to eliminate "Speak to Me". The transitions however would require extra material that we currently don't have.