The final cut tour

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

The final cut tour

Post by drafsack »

When Pink Floyd released “the final cut” in 1983 they hinted that they would tour the album later that year. Unfortunately nothing came of this and then Roger left which would have put a stop to this tour. Recently, a friend of mine who works for a printing company, found a box full of tour programmes for the final cut tour when they were clearing out an old storage area and knowing I like PF gave me a copy.

The programme looks like the original Wall programme, with the albums lyrics over the stills from the album. There are also stills from 'The Final Cut' video E.P. together with some extra ones, which I recon are from films that were to be shown during the concert. There are also pictures of fields of poppies from Roger Waters' Pro’s and Cons tour.
What is most interesting is the rehearsal photos. These show the band playing on a stage surrounded by barbed wire fences, poppies and sandbags. In the background of some photo’s you make out inflatable models of battleships, missiles and a film can and Mark Fisher and Jonathan Park are credited with the show design.

The set list in the middle of the programme shows the first half of the show was to be The Final Cut in its entirety and the second half was to consist of
Another Brick pt 2, Mother, Hey you, Wish You Were Here, Have a Cigar, Time, Us and Them, Money, One of these days, Set the controls, Careful with that
axe Eugene and Astronomy Domine'

The musicians listed as playing were Roger, David and Nick with Andy Bown and Bob Ezrin on keyboards, Snowy White on guitar Andy Newark on drums and Mel Collins on sax. On backing vocals there were Doris Troy,
Leslie Duncan, Liza Strike and Barry St. John with Clare Torry listed as 'Special guest vocalist'.

The tour dates were also quite extensive. It started with 5 nights at Earls Court between the 5th and 9th of November, followed by 5 nights at Birmingham NEC from the 12th, 5 nights at the SECC in Glasgow from the 20th and then 5 nights at the Edinburgh Playhouse from the 27th of November. After a break for Christmas the tour kicks off again on January 4th with 5 nights at the Manchester Apollo, 2 more nights at Birmingham on the 13th and 14th of January and 5 nights in St. Austell Coliseum from the 20th. The tour finished with another 5 nights at Earls Court from the 30th of January.

With Roger's increasing dominance within the group during the recording, I expect David and Nick refused to tour him and as a result they had no option but to cancel the tour despite the advanced stage of preparation. A sad loss to the fans but at least now we know what we missed.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Bob Ezrin on keyboards? That right there raises a flag...

Sounds like a fraud to me.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I have heard that tentative concert dates were announced for November of '83. I also recall reading that Nick and David were the ones who were eager to go on tour, not Roger. Roger, on the other hand, basically shunned the idea of touring and decided to create the Video EP with Willie Christie (The video was released in late April of '83).

Bob Ezrin on keyboards? That just makes the entire thing smell fishy IMO...STCFTHOTS, CWTAE, and AD? That doesn't sound right either...
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Rpiti always "smells" a conspiracy
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

What did your friend do with the rest,I sure would like a copy?You should have got them all & sold them on ebay as the tour that never was.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Maybe you could provide a few scans exclusively for NPF? That would be pretty cool...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

here here! :)
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote: Bob Ezrin on keyboards? That just makes the entire thing smell fishy IMO...STCFTHOTS, CWTAE, and AD? That doesn't sound right either...
As much as I'd like to believe this I think someone's trying to pull a fast one. I can't believe that much information and detail can go unknown for so long.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

You're all a bunch of bleeding drongoes

look at the date.

no, really, look at the date.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I confess - April Fool. I have to admit when I read this artical in "The amazing pudding" fanzine a couple of years ago it had me thinking as some of it is based on truth ie the tour rumours from that time, band personal of the time, the video ep etc. What clinched it for me was using St. Austell Coliseum its a hole.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Good one :lol:

I would have picked up on it, but he posted that last night at about seven PM my time so...
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Good one :lol:

I would have picked up on it, but he posted that last night at about seven PM my time so...
Just after midnight GMT. The timing was obviously planned but you put one over on me (not as if that is saying much!)/
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well done, round of applause!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

:roll: :roll: :roll: Got me!! A friend at uni told me she was pregnant today. I congratulated that young woman so much. No. April fool I am!!!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I told a friend at school i got the first coldplay album and that it was brilliant. He couldn't beleive what i'd just said, but within seconds we were havin' a laugh about it. Great April fool he was.