Should Somebody Remix Pink Floyd's Earlier Albums?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Should Somebody Remix Pink Floyd's Earlier Albums?

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I know that this may sound blasphemous from the get-go, but bear with me.
It occurs to me that the Beatles are having some success with these remixes of their albums, with the 2017 mix of Sgt. Pepper being a huge success and the remix of the White Album coming out in November. I'm all for this, as the old stereo mixes of the Beatles are, well, iffy in my mind on account of some pretty hard panning that comes off more distracting than anything else.
This got me thinking: should the earlier Pink Floyd albums recieve the same treatment? I'm definitely not the only one who takes issue with the stereo mix of Piper - sometimes it's fine, and then sometimes it's bloody awful (I'm looking at you, Interstellar Overdrive) - and if there's something I've learned recently, it's that the mono mix of Saucerful is also much better. I would like to see a new stereo mix of Piper at least, as well as any others from their early years you could think of.
What do you think?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Should Somebody Remix Pink Floyd's Earlier Albums?

Post by Wolfpack »

As far as I know, the multitrack tapes for at least the albums 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (1967) and 'More' (1969) are lost.
In the case of 'More', even the recording of (the real) 'Seabirds' is said to be lost (of which only a snippet can be heard on the background in the movie.)
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Re: Should Somebody Remix Pink Floyd's Earlier Albums?

Post by Rooster1 »

If the tapes are available (I so hope they are), then I have nothing against providing alternative mix versions as a different way of looking at the sound picture. I think Piper would be worthy of a full boxed set of remixes / outtakes / isolated instruments / studio chatter etc.