Opinions on Floyd 2016 vinyl reissues

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
jmoog
Embryo
Embryo

Opinions on Floyd 2016 vinyl reissues

Post by jmoog »

Hello all, I've recently been getting back into vinyl and I am interested in getting all the Floyd albums on LP. Ideally I would like to find clean original U.S. pressings of the albums but the reissues can be had for cheaper prices and they are brand new and pressed on 180 gram vinyl.

What are some of your opinions of the 2016 reissues as far as sound quality goes? Should I just look into buying the reissues instead of trying to track down original pressings in decent shape?

Thanks in advance.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Opinions on Floyd 2016 vinyl reissues

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Those reissues are really good in my honest opinion. I have 13 of the 15 Floyd albums on vinyl now, 11 of which are from the re-releases in 2016/17 (the other two being the 20th anniversary edition of The Division Bell and the 2014 Endless River release). For my money they sound gorgeous - my ATLP60 might not be the most high end of record players (sucks to be a collector on a budget...), but I gave my 2016 copy of Dark Side a spin and I was really impressed with how it sounded.
The only quibble I had with them is once I picked up Meddle but opened it to find the disc for Atom Heart Mother inside instead, but the odds of that happening are slim I'd say.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I would say that the new pressings are pretty good - although I'm no audiophile (and my hearing isn't the best!). I've found no issues with the quality of the pressings. It's particularly nice to have non-crackly versions of some of the older releases. My collection is made up of new and old, but I think I'll end up buying new versions as and when the pay packet allows.

What is nice is being able to get brand new copies of releases like PULSE. Getting a 90's version of that on vinyl runs into the £000's.
The Crazy Diamond
Blade
Blade

Post by The Crazy Diamond »

Re pressings are a sensible alternative to an original, especially now as vinyls are retro and collectable ..hence ridiculous prices being asked for originals.
Been a vinyl collector for 50yrs and now have a good mixture of both new and old ..and the sound is eo very different !