Stanley the simpleton by the Residents

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
arnold crow
Blade
Blade

Stanley the simpleton by the Residents

Post by arnold crow »

A little while ago, i was listening to The Residents-The comercial Album- and i suddendly realise something! you know the tune that apeared on Internet and was title Stanley the Simpleton from Syd Barrett, i think that might be the residents!I got a few indications;
1-the song is short just as the songs in the comercial album
2-the residents are an anonymous band so it could be their style to do such a thing
3- there is a song called the simple song witch match with simpleton
4-the voise of the singner is similar in both songs
what do you think?!
does anyone knows if they were influence by The Floyd or is this all my imagination?

If you don't know about this band here is a good link:http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive ... nd_id=1770
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

Wow! another Residents fan! (Saw them live at Sadlers Wells theatre, Londen on the Cube-E tour 8) )

Gonna check this out (when I find Stanley the Simpleton).
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

dont know about that
but they did do a tape collage of Beatles samples called
"Beyond the Valley of A Day In The Life"
which ended up on at least one Beatles bootleg

J Ed
arnold crow
Blade
Blade

Post by arnold crow »

yeah! the residents are great! i never saw them live and i'm sure that it would be great. I have the comercial album and i would like to hear them all! but they have so many! I like bands that are original and odd.
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

arnold crow wrote:yeah! the residents are great! i never saw them live and i'm sure that it would be great. I have the comercial album and i would like to hear them all! but they have so many! I like bands that are original and odd.
As a starting point I'd recommend:

The 13th Anniversary Tour - Live in Tokyo (The album that got me into the Residents during the late '80s)

Gingerbread Man

The King & Eye (a selection of Elvis covers)

God In Three Persons

Freak Show

Sorry, off topic.

I am having trouble locating Stanley the Simpleton, I'm not a big fan of the HYGIY series so I'm not going to bother downloading #19 for the sake of one song.

J Ed, you are indeed correct, 'Beyond the Valley of A Day In The Life' appeared on the 1976 album 'The Third Reich 'N Roll' - total hardcore Avent Gard stuff.

Early Residents stuff is really heavy going but later live recordings of early stuff are a lot easier. :wink: