Should this forum have rules?

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

What rules should this community have?

No rules
4%
Less rules
23%
Same rules
73%
More rules
No votes

Total votes: 56

greeg
Embryo
Embryo

Rules

Post by greeg »

Yeh course there should be rules, you just have to visit unmoderated sites to see the shambles that the discussions become
shawn59
Embryo
Embryo

same rules

Post by shawn59 »

I think the rules are necessary. Since I'm not regularly going on the forum, I'm not aware of the problems regarding the rules... But I think you should keep the same rules as nowadays...

Best regards from the dark side of the moon (!)

Shawn
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I haven't read a single post in this thread yet...so keep that in mind if I end up repeating something someone else has already said.

I am about to make a disparaging comment about humanity in general, so if you find yourself offended by it...let that teach you something about yourself.

The vast majority of people are followers who COULDN'T deviate from "the norm" even with instructions. I also subscribe to the belief that humans are inherently "good."

In other words, people who don't go around committing murder wouldn't commit murder even if it WEREN'T against the law. For whatever reasons, they wouldn't do that.

Most people would "follow the rules" even if there weren't rules to follow...if that makes sense.

I feel that rules are unnecessary except to provide for a way to deal with those who are intentionally disruptive and wish to cause chaos.

Most of us don't need rules because we find it natural to behave in a "civilized" fashion unless provoked to behave otherwise. And once provoked to behave otherwise, all the rules in the world will do no good.

The US Governmant banned alcohol at the beginning of the 20th century...people still bought, sold and drank it. Drugs are illegal...people still buy, sell and use them.

A discussion I like to engage in quite a bit is the fact that people seem to think of "Law" as being preventative...it is not and cannot be. "Law" is only there to provide punishment for those in violation. The only way a law could be preventative is if psychics were utilized as law enforcement...and even then, it would go against most countries ideas of fair law enforcement to punish someone for something they have yet to do.

Rules will not prevent misbehavior...they can only provide for appropriate action for inappropriate behavior.

There should, in my opinion, be only one rule here...BEHAVE OR BE BANNED.

That's all that's necessary, I think. Of course, that opens the door for tyranny...after all, what is appropriate behavior?

Actually, that's for Keith to decide...this IS his board, after all. The moderators act in accordance with what Keith has said he wants done on this board. It's not for the moderators to decide what is inappropriate...it is only for them to act as Keith wants...this is their function.

Moderators also should act in accordance with "common sense"...it's pretty obvious most of the time if someone is misbehaving or not. Even I can see that...and I'm pretty thick headed:P

With that in mind, I have to get off my bosses computer now and play Amused To Death (my nightly last song...appropriate even in a dance club, I think.)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I agree with what you are saying that there should only be one rule, behave or be banned and that most people do not require any rules. But I think they are necessary, firstly, to give the moderators guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not and, secondly, to bring about a degree of fairness in terms of showing people "where the line is" when it comes to what they can post on this particular forum.

Some people need to remember that this is a British forum and is governed by British law. We do not have a written constitution here in Britain which says we have freedom of speach!! You cannot say anything you like here and that is not opression in my eyes. It is just keeping a tidy and efficient board for decent people to chat and enjoy themselves in a safe and comfortable environment.

The rules are staying I guess and thanks for your input everybody. :D
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am only 21, inexperienced with forums and in the middle of my uni finals so give me a break. I am stressed damn it!! :lol:
Did you actually read all my post?

I am trying to help, not point out problems.

Like i said, I'm only 20 (as you should remember Keith :p), very experienced with forums and forum management, and am willing to help.

(I don't however wish to be a moderator nor admin - just a... guide, i spose you could call me... :p)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Furious wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:I am only 21, inexperienced with forums and in the middle of my uni finals so give me a break. I am stressed damn it!! :lol:
Did you actually read all my post?

I am trying to help, not point out problems.

Like i said, I'm only 20 (as you should remember Keith :p), very experienced with forums and forum management, and am willing to help.

(I don't however wish to be a moderator nor admin - just a... guide, i spose you could call me... :p)
I did indeed and, again, I thank you for your help! :D I didn't sayd that comment you quoted above in any sort of angry way!! :D
comfortably_numb
Embryo
Embryo

Rules and guidance.

Post by comfortably_numb »

Well, I have to say that I do not like rules and after 55 summers on this planet, I am sick of people telling me how I should behave! But, and this is a big but, if this site has a clearly defined objective, such as to create a space for people with a love of PF, then a verbal battle between those who love Rog, and those who love Dave, or any other negaitve discourse can be a tiresome distraction.

Honestly, people have their preferences and to read thousands of words about why they hate one or the other, even eloquent arguments, are still negative and time wasting. If this site in particular is about PF, then all discussion about the band, before and after the split is valid, so a simple rule might be, "keep it constructive".

I know that these comments are related to a recent rule that banned angry arguments about the two main men and I may be missing other events, but we do need rules to keep the site on the real aim of the the creator; so he may rightly make rules that lead to that end. Ideally though, the fewer rules the better.

My respects to all.
CN

ps: my son has just purchased "The Wall" Live in Berlin and it is spectacular. Go and get some!